Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Indian spiced chicken and chick peas.  preheat oven to 375 F.

Pat dry your chicken legs or thighs (5 or 6 of em)  Season with salt and pepper and brown slowly in oil in a dutch oven

Mean while slice up a couple onions and smash up a few cloves of garlic.  Then mix in a small bowl.  2 tsp each-turmeric, ground cumin,ground coriander and about a 1/4 tsp cayenne or more for more heat.

Chop up very finely about a Tbls plus of fresh ginger.

Pull the chicken out after it's browned on all sides nicely and is almost cooked through, might take about 20 min or so, and put on a plate off to the side.  cook the onions in the drippings for about 8 min. untiul they are a bit darker than the pic.

Then add the garlic, spices and ginger and cook until aromatic.  ABout 3-4 minutes.  Add 2 cups plus a little more chicken stock and a can of chick peas and let it kinda meld for a few.  Put the chicken back in and coat with the mixture.  Throw in the oven for 45 min.-1 hr. covered.

Pull oot the dutch oven and remove the chicken and keep warm.  Throw in some greens with the liquid.  I used baby spinach and baby kale from my garden.  Let that wilt down a bit over ;low heat and stir in a cup or so of greek yoghurt and then put the chicken back in and bring up to temp making sure not to let it boil or the yoghurt might curdle.  

Should look like this.

I served mine with a crunchy salad and tahini vinaigrette.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Last night was migas con chorizo y camarones.  This is a dish from Spain not that tortilla Tex-Mex crap. ;)

Get some day old bread or a baguette or what ever.  Should be rustic type bread though.  Dice it up roughly. Then process until it's in little chunks

Rinse some shrimp and get your chorizo out.  I used pork and beef.

heat up a couple few good glugs of olive oil and put a few slightly smashed garlic cloves in it until they soften and turn golden.

Now add some chorizo and cook for about 5 min.

Take most of the chorizo out and put the shrimp in .  Cook until almost done but not quite.

take oot the shrimp and put the chorizo and breadcrumbs back in and add some more olive oil and saute until the bred has soaked up the oil and becomes a bit crispy.

Add the shrimp back in and cook through.

I served mine with some more greens from the garden and my girl made a salsa-esque vinaigrette.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Night before last was panzanella with line caught albacore.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Today is voodoo chicken stock day.  Chicken feet for the chicken and clean out the fridge veggies.  Going shopping so all the scraps go in.  But nothing over powering like asparagus, or broccoli.  not that's there's any leftover anyways.

half done can of tomatoes, a stray tater, some drie up old thyme?  Why not.

trimming back the parsley on the porch and kinda bendy carrots.  yep them too.  prolly add some carnitas cooking liquid later after it reduces down a bit.

I'll simmer this shit all day while we're planting everything in the garden today.  I'll process it tomorrow.
No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

RAGER, my girlfriend and I made some Asian-ish chicken stock (soy sauce, ginger and cinnamon being the "Asian" ingredients), we've put it in glass jars for now but a white foam is coming on top of the stock in the jars, is this harmful? Is it fat that we just scoop off? Any other way we can keep the stock?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

Not sure but how long has it been in the fridge?  If only a few days it's probably not anything.  Just skim it off.  But if there' any doubt at all just bring it all back up to a boil for about 5-10 minutes and it should be ok. If it's been in  the fridge for a couple weeks I'd chuck it.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

In stock making now I start off by bringing just the bones alone to a low simmer/boil- it seems to keep it clearer and make it easier to skim off all the grey protein that comes to the top, once that stops then I add all the other ingredients. 
Some days chickens, some days feathers

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: RAGER on May 08, 2013, 02:22:57 PM
Not sure but how long has it been in the fridge?  If only a few days it's probably not anything.  Just skim it off.  But if there' any doubt at all just bring it all back up to a boil for about 5-10 minutes and it should be ok. If it's been in  the fridge for a couple weeks I'd chuck it.
Just a couple of days so probably no harm done. Thanks!
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

Grilled wild sockeye salmon with tabouleh made with quinoa.  Fuck yes!  Dinner last night.  WE got shit done yesterday.

No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

that Indian chicken looks like the mega noms!
DooM!

MadJohnShaft

Sure does....

We took the kids paintballing and East Dundee had a Mexican flea market off the side of the road, in the back there was a row of tents with about 10 vendors selling food - awesome and authentic. 

Pepian is the national dish of Guatemala - I'm thinking of trying something like this Pepian recipe

http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/2009/04/guatemalan-pepian-please-try-this-at-home/

RAGER

I shall try that also.  Looks really simple.  They sell those tiny tomatillo varieties at my girls nursery but I guess nobody wants them so maybe she'll bring a couple home.  The ones I'm growing are purple (purpura).

Last night I made Laap Muu (larb).  Use up the last of the carnitas from a week ago for the pork.

My molcajete works great for grinding up the toasted jasmine rice.  You got one of these MJS?  If not, rectify that.

Damn pic turned out blurry.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I saw purple tomatillo plants but got two of the green ones, chickened out.  I want one of those big stone mortar things but we are getting tight in the kitchen  - all those tents had those, which made me like those places a lot.

I went on a mission to buy the Chayote last night, a weird looking thing:

RAGER

Asian markets usually have those squash too.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

i'm down with chayote. not quite worth it to grow here, tropical perennials, pssht
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

Pepian was only okay, not a win.

JemDooM

Woah I'd never heard of a tomatillo before!! What do they taste like?
DooM!

RAGER

Tomatillo is in the night shade family so think tomato but green but different.  Potatoes and eggplant (aubergine to you) are also in the nightshade family but are nothing like tomatoes or tomatillos though.  heh!

Tomatillos are most commonly used in green salsa with lots of lime and cilantro, salsa verde.  They're great roasted just like everything else.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

And if you plant them... you need two plants or you get none ;)

RAGER

But why would you only plant one in the first place.  That wouldn't make very much delicious green salsa.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Last year I was trying to limit the total amount produced, as the year 2 prior when I did two I had way too many. Way many.

mortlock

my latest is simple, very basic and awesomely awesome..

1 lb Italian sausage
4 cloves garlic
1 can of cannelli beans [do not strain]
1 lb pasta..ziti or penne work best.

chop up garlic into really small pieces, remove all casing on sausage and chop/crumble up. sauté in olive oil until cooked. do not strain.
simmer beans and cook pasta. drain pasta and toss all together..
DO NOT strain the sausage or cannelli beans.

top with another little bit of olive oil, pecorino/romano cheese and crushed red pepper.     

RAGER

That would be quite filling.  I'd have a pile of arugula with a lemon vinaigrette too.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

My girl made some Rager Roasted Chicken Legs under my supervision.  super good.  I personally made the rub and have done better but it was still good.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Seared some ahi and served it cold with a lemon aioli, quinoa patties, and pickled fennel and shrimp.  Presentation is kinda fucked up cuz I was drunk.

No Focus Pocus