Fuck Frito-Lay

Started by RAGER, March 25, 2014, 01:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

This has me soooo fucking pissed.  I'm almost to the point of boycotting frito-lay.

I know lots of towns have their little local products that everybody buys in contrast to the big corps products.  One such product around here is Juanitas tortilla chips.  They are thee best chips around.  Every store they are in has like 3 or 4 shelves about 4 feet wide which is a huge market share in the uber competitive chip market.  And they are always selling out.  They can barely keep up they're that good.  So just recently Frito-Lay decided to basically just up and attempt to copy their product and in big corporate manner steal their consumers.  Juanitas is made in Hood River Oregon about an hour east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge.  Frito-Lays brand (Josefinas, can you fucking believe the name)? is boasting that they're made right here in Vancouver, Washington which is pretty much a bedroom community of Portland.  What they don;t tell you is the address is fucking Frito-Lay.  Nothing on the bag says FL.  When you call the number the voice prompts are first in Spanish and then in English just like Juanitas because they are goddamm Hispanic.  The bags are very similar down to the same color scheme and some text. 

Shit like this just burns me.  As if Frito-Lay isn't big enough they have to try to put out of business a local mom and pop.  I can't post pics right now but I'll include some links.  Oh yeah they even went as far as Google search optimization to put their brand above Juanitas when you search.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/mar/19/tortilla-chips-frito-lay-juanitas-josefina/

http://www.lacocinadejosefinatortillachips.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=josefina+chips&utm_campaign=josefinachips-brand_chips_brand

You'll have to google search Juanitas chips.
No Focus Pocus

black

Ahh, that's just the way of the corporate conglomerate. Like you said at the beginning of your post;

I know lots of towns have their little local products that everybody buys in contrast to the big corps products...

That won't change. Especially in Portlandia where local everything seems to be the war cry. If it gets too out of control, you can always get in touch with me and I'll hook you up with plenty of authentic, locally produced Mexican/New Mexican products that will match Juanitas, and probably surpass them. It's our thing down here. Y'all have the rain and mold (and those lots full of little restaurants you call food trucks/pods?). We have Mexican food and Mexican food trucks that never stay in one place more than a few hours (and about an inch and a half of rain in a year and lots of stupid dust). Orale!

None the less, fuck corporations that try and edge out the little guy with inferior products being peddled through lies and subterfuge.

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

I'd be all, later days and fuck Frito Lays

black

Lumpy

QuoteJuanita's has a significant price advantage: its 15 ounce package generally sells for $2.39, compared to $3.49 for a same-sized package of Josefina chips.

Lots of people shop based on price, so they have that going for 'em.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Ryno

Sounds like you have a solid basis for an online petition and maybe even a physical protest.  You know how much people in the PNW love to protest.  Especially if it's against MegaFritoCorp and you're defending one of your own. 

Get on it!
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Lumpy

I still remember the Twinkie Blockade from 1978.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

I've been thinking that when I get one of those VT-3 vocoders we've been talking about in the synth thread jam room, I could make a menacing youtube video with a hat on and a hanky covering my face.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

Did you not tell them that they were the Lord's chips ?
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Juanitas does taste like I imagine heaven to taste.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

does Juanita's make a cool ranch varietal?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

peoplething

Quote from: RAGER on March 25, 2014, 01:06:33 PM
Josefinas, can you fucking believe the name....

so...

Jose' finna shut down Juanita?

Jose always play'n like that.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

MadJohnShaft

Someone bought the totally useless beer company PBR, from my fond childhood memories growing up in Milwaukee inside a Laverne and Shirley episode -   for a hundred billion dollars. ka-Ching.  They better pump some money back into all those rock bars they target marketed
Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

this is the only thing i like..

RAGER

I finally got a chance to see these chips up close.  Not a chance.  Not even close to the same quality.  It looks like they've spent all their time and money on hype and subterfuge instead of the actual product.  The chips look like Santitas or Tostitos or some shit.  You used the wrong masa dipshits.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Quote from: mortlock on April 01, 2014, 02:53:18 AM

I used to work in the warehouse at Frito-Lay 10 years back or so; the bosses were assholes, & the cases of Fritos were the heaviest goddam boxes in the building.

So fuck Frito-Lay, sure, but most specifically: FUCK FRITOS.

My back still feels that shit...
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

Quote from: RacerX on April 01, 2014, 01:15:30 PM

I used to work in the warehouse at Frito-Lay 10 years back or so; the bosses were assholes, & the cases of Fritos were the heaviest goddam boxes in the building.

youre supposed to lift with your knees, not your back. probably could have avoided that..

RacerX

Quote from: mortlock on April 01, 2014, 10:26:29 PM
Quote from: RacerX on April 01, 2014, 01:15:30 PM

youre supposed to lift with your knees, not your back. probably could have avoided that..

True, but at the speed they wanted us to pick, sort & load, that was virtually impossible. I also ate some weird fucking snacks at that place, products I'd never even heard of before, mostly terrible.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Frito is one of our customers, and at one point I was on site and asked one of the dudes about the business.

He told me they've had no real competition since the 80's when Eagle Snacks (Anheiser Busch if you remember) took a run at them, then died off.  At the time of this conversation Frito's market share was around 85% and they're only competition to speak of was store brands.
Vinyls.   deal.

Metal and Beer

Isn't crushing the little guy the capitalist way? WalPepsiExxonFritoInc eats the world !!1!
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

black

Metal and Beer;

History Buff.
Patriot.
Gourmand.
StonerRocker.

/moderated

bitter

:Stonerrock Alert:

These are garbage. Cool Ranch flavor... AKA: The Fuck?

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan