Your top 5 beers...

Started by ThisHairyGuy, October 17, 2014, 07:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisHairyGuy

Difficult I know, but currently mine are...

[EDIT: Changed my mind already]

1) Westvleteren 12
2) Struisse Pannepot Grand Reserva
3) Schlenkerla Urbock
4) Moylans Kilt Lifter
5) Stone Double Bastard
it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life

Omlet

Some Polish local beers, probably impossible to find outside of my region, not to mention other continent...

NCR600

"3) Schlenkerla Urbock"

I bought a bottle of this tonight. Very nice if you like smoked beers. I'm thinking of doing an American Amber or American Brown for a comp next year with a hint of smoked malt and calling it "The Smoker You Drink..." as some sort of tribute to Joe Walsh.

Can't answer your original question. 5 is not enough!

ThisHairyGuy

Quote from: NCR600 on October 17, 2014, 08:52:00 AM
"3) Schlenkerla Urbock"

I bought a bottle of this tonight. Very nice if you like smoked beers. I'm thinking of doing an American Amber or American Brown for a comp next year with a hint of smoked malt and calling it "The Smoker You Drink..." as some sort of tribute to Joe Walsh.

Can't answer your original question. 5 is not enough!

Yeah man. I love the Schlenkerla stuff. I've ordered a couple of cases for New Year. That sounds great! I've only ever brewed from kits myself. The last one I did was a double IPA from Evil Dog. It was pretty good. I'm currently trying a Jalapeno Saison, but I've used my own hop mix of Kentish golding hops and Newzealand. Figured the citrus and treacle flavours would mix well. I am still very much a novice brewer though haha. Yeah 5 aint anywhere near enough! There's a ton of beers I love to drink.
it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life

ThisHairyGuy

Quote from: Omlet on October 17, 2014, 08:10:34 AM
Some Polish local beers, probably impossible to find outside of my region, not to mention other continent...

I don't recall trying any Polish beer other than the typical Tyskie, Zwiec and a couple of other export lagers, but I bet you guys have some excellent brews, especially considering your bavarian neighbours! I've just been having a look on Ratebeer and there's an Abbey Tripel style beer called Sza?piw Szczun which is meant to be amazing!

peoplething

Great thread - Just last week I was thinking how a local brewery cracked my top 5.

1) Hopslam
2) Dead Guy
3) Dragon's Milk
4) Bent Hop
5) Grizzly Peak Steelhead Red or Oberon depending on accessibility or season.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

deleted account

1.  Bohemia
2.  Elephant Malt Liquor
3.  Franziskaner
4.  Leffe
5.  Stella Artois

Omlet

Quote from: ThisHairyGuy on October 17, 2014, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: Omlet on October 17, 2014, 08:10:34 AM

I don't recall trying any Polish beer other than the typical Tyskie, Zwiec and a couple of other export lagers, but I bet you guys have some excellent brews, especially considering your bavarian neighbours! I've just been having a look on Ratebeer and there's an Abbey Tripel style beer called Sza?piw Szczun which is meant to be amazing!

Tyskie Zywiec and other Polish mainstream beers are fucking horrible. Try smaller / local breweries, such as Gontyniec and Czarnkow breweries, if you somehow manage to grab their products.

EDIT: Fuck, forgot, my absolute favourite beers are Czech ones:

1. Radegast
2. Kozel (various ones, 12 is the best for me)

Adam

One of those lists that will likely change by the day.

Founders KBS
Funkwerks Saison
Odell Myrcenary or Runoff Red
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Yuengling Lager

ThisHairyGuy

Quote from: Adam on October 18, 2014, 06:04:28 PM
One of those lists that will likely change by the day.

Founders KBS
Funkwerks Saison
Odell Myrcenary or Runoff Red
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Yuengling Lager

Absolutely lol... Especially considering you just reminded me of Founders. I love their Dirty Bastard and Oatmeal Stout. Anything scotch or heavy and I'm on that shit like [insert tedious phrase here]

mortlock

1. genesee regular
2. genesee cream ale
3. genesee bock
4. genesee summer brew [when its avail]
5. genesee 12 horse ale

Volume

We have such a shitty selection at the booze shop (government monopoly) and always try out new stuff in bars, so is hard to pin down a top 5.

Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel is one I always go back to, amazing beer. I like american style brews, due to availability it's mostly Sierra Nevada, Flying Dog and Brooklyn Brewery.

ThisHairyGuy

Quote from: Volume on October 22, 2014, 07:49:55 AM
We have such a shitty selection at the booze shop (government monopoly) and always try out new stuff in bars, so is hard to pin down a top 5.

Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel is one I always go back to, amazing beer. I like american style brews, due to availability it's mostly Sierra Nevada, Flying Dog and Brooklyn Brewery.

La Chouffe stuff is awesome! I love Flying Dog too, their Raging Bitch is so good. We don't get a great deal of Sierre Nevada beers in my area. One of my favourite bars in Newcastle stocks Torpedo which I like. I've always wanted to try Bigfoot, but don't wanna order it online lol.

johnny problem

1) Hop City - Hop Bot
2) Fernie Brewing Company - First Trax
3) Okanagan Spring - 1516
4) Unibroue - Blanche de Chambly
5) Creemore Springs - Urbock

Submarine

Amstel Bock (you can't get it in the US though)
SixPoint Lagers - Sweet Action or Bengali Tiger
Stone - Smoked Porter
Lowenbrau - yeah I know from the 80's, still love it.

MikeyT

I was told we don't get all the good beers here... I'm sure that's true.

5 Beers:

Fuller's ESB
       Bass Pale Ale
       Pilsner Urquell
       Kostritzer Black Lager
       Yuengling Lager

More Beers:

Fuller's London Pride
       Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen
       Lowenbrau
       St. Pauli Girl (most any German beer is alright with me)
       Foster's Lager
       Guinness Extra Stout
       Carta Blanca
       Negra Modelo, etc.

Best Cheap Beers:
        1. Miller Red Label (out of production) - was made to compete with Budweiser, but was about three times better!
       2. Little Kings (the way they made it in the late 80's-90's)
       3. Rolling Rock
       4. Little Kings (the way they make it now)

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

black

Cold Beer
Colder Beer
Decent Selection Drink Ticket Beer
Pre-Sex Beer
Post-Coital Beer

I went through a short period of thinking I was beer connoisseur (mainly from playing in the PNW during the '90's), but ultimately I realized it was just an alcohol delivery system and if I drank cheap beer I still had $$ to buy drugs to enhance the all desired obliteration of reality.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

irratebass

Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

lftwng4

The Brewkettle-White Rajah
Columbus Brewing Company-IPA
Surly-Wet
Three Floyds-Gumball Head
Founders-CBS

Honorable mentions:
Fatheads-Headhunter
Fatheads-Sunshine Daydream