Lumpy's Vietnamese food and women pictures thread.

Started by RAGER, December 03, 2014, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Too hard to resize and upload pics until I get home. I am taking a few food pics though. Just for you!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Coffee here is strong as fuck, and delicious. Almost chocolatey, has an extra richness missing from other types. I was told the coffee is treated with something... Fruit acids? I forget. You can also upgrade to "weasel coffee" here (they poop it out) which probably accomplishes something similar (?) I have no idea, but VN is the #2 coffee producer in the world.

Had a good beef pho today for $1.50, and picked up two dragon fruit for $1.50 as well (might have overpaid for those). In Saigon they give you hoisin sauce, sprouts and herbs to add, but up north (Hanoi) the soup is presented pretty much the way you're expected to eat it (lime and chili sauce and fresh garlic slices available though)

RAGER

Yeah the civet coffee.  You have to try some just to say you've had coffee pooped out by a cat.  The coffee is so good there probably because of the French influence.  Is't pho what they pretty much eat for breakfast?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

im still waiting for the women part of this thread..and you guys are talking about coffee made from poop.

deleted account

Lumpy

Quote from: mortlock on December 06, 2014, 07:21:09 PM
im still waiting for the women part of this thread..and you guys are talking about coffee made from poop.
its not made from poop. Digestive enzymes make the coffee smoother (something like that). The weasel eats the coffee beans but poops them out whole. They're cleaned up hopefully and used normally. I don't know if it makes a difference of not... As far as I know, I've never had it.

Lumpy

mortlock

if it went in the mouth came out of the butt, its poop..

there are many dumb debates on this site, I never imagined the definition of poop was on the table..

deleted account

morty's a Bills fan.  don't try to argue with him about poop

MadJohnShaft

Anyway, this thread is not delivering. 

There's two Vietnamese places on Devon Ave, maybe I'll drop in one on Sunday. What should I order? They have no English but have some pictures.

black

Pho is always a good bet.
It's a good way to determine how their other food will be, as it's kind of like the National food of Vietnam. Kind of like how the hot dog or hamburger have permeated the American cuisine.
Spring Rolls and Lemongrass beef or chicken is a good one at most American Vietnamese restaurants.

My favorite one out here has great Vietnamese Coffee (iced or hot) and does an Avocado Shake that is actually really tasty.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Lumpy

Automatic spell check is kicking my ass....

Goi coun or banh cuon... Cuon means rolled up. Salad roll or chopped up pork and mushrooms in a wrapper

Banh Xeo, big eggy crepe thing with bean sprouts inside, Section off piece and use lettuce leaves to roll up along with herbs, dip into fish sauce (and drip on slacks).

Pho is a staple, there are also non-soup pho dishes (pho is the type of noodle, typically served in soup though). One pho version was deep fried noodles (they puff up) with greens, pork and gravy on top. Another was tangled pho noodles sauteed into a sheet which was cut into squares, with greens/meat/gravy (pho chien, I think it was called).

They do eat dog meat in hanoi (thit cho) :( it's not everywhere but I've seen it on some signs.

The coffee here is amazing, it can't be said enough. Hot or iced black, or with fresh milk (milk not all that common on menus though) or with sweetened condensed milk, or with sweetened yogurt. It's all great, although sometimes it's hard to get it 'lightened' without adding sugar too (but black is usually smooth and rich).

I'll try to post pics soon.

MadJohnShaft

Lumpy

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

MadJohnShaft

Look at these two places:

Hoanh Long

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hoanh-long-chicago

Hung long! That's what she said!

Lumpy

Finally had some bia hoi the other day... Fresh beer that's delivered daily. Low ABV, I'd guess 3% or so? Weak piss which goes down easy. Place by my Hanoi crash pad had it for 60,000 VND (30 cents) but a trip to Halong Bay tourist area sold it for 150,000 (75 cents). Ripoff! It was a big frosted mug though.

I saw signs around Hanoi advertising Thit Cho (dog is cho, Thit is meat) but on the bus up to Halong Bay, going through the sticks, there were a few signs for "Thit Cho, Meo" too.  :-[

Lumpy

Off topic, but the weed is terrible here... Brown, stemmy, seedy stuff that reminds me of the Mexican crap we had to smoke in the 70s. It comes in a super compressed 1 inch cube which is near impossible to pull apart, but yields about an eighth when you break it up. 200,000 VND ($10)

mortlock

sounds like some of the crap I used to get in phoenix..