The butchering thread

Started by RAGER, December 19, 2014, 07:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

The more I think about this the more I'm gonna do this thing entirely different next time.  First off I won't be cutting anybody in on half the deal.  Fuck that noise.  I went into it not very prepared and I didn't do enough research on how I wanted everything processed.  I didn't get the loins because they were cut into the chops.  Something happened on the ribs I'm not sure about too.  I will also be taking all the organ meat, the head, caul fat, etc....

Looking forward to using the caul fat and possibly getting the blood for boudin noir but that might be a logistical problem as I'd have to be there when it is killed and bled out so I can catch the blood.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

what the hell is wrong with you. you just described a sacrifice..

khoomeizhi

yup, need to be there with your bowl to catch the blood. there's a navajo taboo about blood on the ground, so when i was there (the first slaughtering/butchering i did) the bowl-holder was a pretty important job. and then blood sausage/bend-down bread!

it is a sacrifice, morty. all eaten animals are sacrificed for our ends, might as well do it right. i think all meat-eaters should experience it at least a few times, so you actually know what you're involved in. that shit wasn't born on your garbage plate...
let's dispense the unpleasantries

mortlock

any animal would be honored to die for such a noble cause as to become garbage plate meat hot sauce..

RAGER

Pretty good vid on how to break down a hog. 

Here's kind of a good one as far as the slaughtering.  They do it respectfully.  Then it trail off into boudin.

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Incredibly satisfying, watching that video.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I just watched this other video from some folks in west Verginny.  No mention of using the blood or offal but lots of self back patting on how nothing goes to waste.  Shame.  Lotta praying and bullshit too.  Pussies.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Yknow, I'd be really interested in an apprenticeship. I'm gonna wander around. Thanks for  sparking my interest, Rager.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Dude!  Butcher is as honest a living as it gets.  People will always need to eat.  Go for it.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

yeah dude, what he ^ said x2. serious vocation.

RAGER

Since I don;t post in GD anymore this is the most relevant thread for this.

A possum decided to die right in my fucking back yard by the gate.  I called animal control to see if they'd come out to get it.  Might take em 2 days they said.  Well that's no good.  My buddy Clarence likes skulls and dead shit for art.  He has beetles that make quick work of that shit so I called him but he's in the process of moving.  Fuck.  Tomorrows garbage day so we double bagged it and put in the garbage can.  Gross.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I figured you of all people would have been able to whip up some awesome dish with the little guy..

RAGER

He'd already been picked at and I like to be the first guy at the buffet.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

A possum died in my front yard. Ready? My neighbor cuts our grass and he's 89 so he can't see so good anymore - so we had a patch of chopped death fur and bones for a couple weeks.

Usually any dead animal gets carried off by something after a day.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Dylan Thomas

I bury any dead animals that I find in my garden, nice and deep.  There's a possum in there somewhere, two rabbits, I forget what else at this point.

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

MadJohnShaft

By food you are growing to eat?

MadJohnShaft

Not sure what I would do with all this, no chest freezer

Milk & Meadow Beef Now Available
Limited time only

Milk and Meadow is Cedar Valley's unique take on grassfed beef.  Bull calves are allowed to nurse (along with grazing) when the rest of the herd are weaned.  This produces an excellent growth rate and a very flavorful, tender meat.

The beef available are between 600-700 lbs and have been exclusively pasture and milk fed.

The price is $6 per pound on the hanging weight.  Hanging weight is the weight after butchering, but before cutting into into individual pieces. Hanging weight will be around 360 lbs for each whole beef.

This will work out to about $600 per quarter, including butcher costs. Depending on your instructions to the butcher you'll take home 55% - 70% of the hanging weight.

Wholes, halves and quarters are available ($200/quarter deposit).  Orders must be received by Feb. 6 and deposits by Feb. 10.

black

That actually looks like a really good deal.
Time to invest in a chest freezer, MJS.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

That does seem like a good buy but that's a lot of damn beef.  Too much.  We don;t eat that much beef and eating more isn't something I resolve to doing.  I'd have to buy into it with someone.
No Focus Pocus

black

The man has a family of four and a passel of relatives. Not to mention two teenage boys who are each about seven and a half feet tall. I'd be surprised if that meat lasted two months.
Tops.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah maybe, people use those for homebrewing too

sleestak

Quote from: black on January 28, 2015, 05:27:02 PM
That actually looks like a really good deal.
Time to invest in a chest freezer, MJS.

Get the 128 gig one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

khoomeizhi

wait, which cut do they use for homebrewing?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus