Juicing

Started by RAGER, January 09, 2015, 03:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

How do you people feel about juicing?  I know several people who do this but they seem to be the type of people that latch onto new fads right away and then forget about them when the new thing comes along.  I personally think your vegetable should be chewed.  That's what your fukn teeth are for.
No Focus Pocus

Ryno

I juice occasionally. Mostly for the novelty of showing the kid where the crummy bottled shit actually comes from.

But I will say this... I did some crazy kale/spinach/beet greens/apple/garlic/ginger juices for a few weeks last year. Made em 3 or 4 mornings a week and I have never shit better, felt healthier or more upbeat in years.

Now I'm back to not juicing and feeling not as healthy.

Also, I use a high speed centrifugal, but you really want a mastication juicer.  Or just throw a bunch of stuff in a Vitamix. That's the best way. Keeps all the fiber and other goods.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

black

Tell it to Jack Lalanne.

Actually had one of his juicers, but lost it in a break-up.
I enjoy chewing vegetables but really enjoyed juicing as well.
It was a good way to keep from throwing out stuff that was getting old and wilted.
I also liked how bitter vegetables could be sweetened up by adding carrots and stuff.
We juiced regularly for five years or so.
Not sure if that's long enough to not be considered participating in a fad.
Either way, it was a delicious way to put food in my body, so go ahead and put me in the "Yeah, sure" column.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

Quote from: black on January 09, 2015, 04:03:03 PM
Tell it to Jack Lalanne.

It was a good way to keep from throwing out stuff that was getting old and wilted.

You're supposed to make stock with that stuff.
No Focus Pocus

black

No.
Motivated, creative types like you make stock with that stuff.
Lazy people who lack kitchen confidence (like me) feel better about themselves not wasting that stuff by juicing it.
Plus it's a chance to play with an electric kitchen gizmo.

Lumpy

I enjoy drinking fresh juice, however the buzz you get is from sugar (a lot in carrots, beets and fruit) and not from "detoxification" like they say on the commercials.

I don't own a juicer, and don't have room for one.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

deleted account

I got one of these

what Ryno said about the healthy feeling and the mastication.  bought it in '05 during my short-lived raw food diet phase.  made green lemonade using kale, romaine lettuce, carrots, lemons and apples.  I gotta dust that shit off and fire it up again

MadJohnShaft

It's better than coca cola but worse than eating food.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Ryno

Quote from: priest on January 09, 2015, 10:15:41 PM

what Ryno said about the healthy feeling and the mastication.  bought it in '05 during my short-lived raw food diet phase.  made green lemonade using kale, romaine lettuce, carrots, lemons and apples.  I gotta dust that shit off and fire it up again

You gotta prepare your liver for Psychomadjohncalifornia-fest!

deleted account

Shafty smack dab in the middle of Vegan CA for 4 nites.  can you believe it?

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, there's no Vegans here
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Adam

peoplething

years ago I did for a while just to have something to drink that wasn't coffee or booze. I had the Jack Lalanne special and it worked well enough, but it took $28 bucks in produce/veges to get a pint of juice. I just went back to coffee and booze.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

black

Isn't coffee technically juice?
I mean, it's the juice of the coffee bean.
It also goes great with booze!

Sparkle Motion

I live in Charlotte and I used to work in restaurants. One time this lady came in and asked if we had any flavored water. The server who was a friend of mine said, "Yeah, but we call it tea."

I got my wife a Vitamix for Mother's Day a couple of years ago. We use it all the time. It's money.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

Ryno

Love the idea of a Vitamix. Can't get past the price. 

One of these days though...

irratebass

I was given a Ninja from the wifey for Christmas, I really want to start juicing, but ingredients I have thrown together all taste like crap, I have a recipe book the wifey picked up for me, but haven't had the time to dive into it or go shopping for that stuff, so it sits for now.....any really good recipes you guys know?
Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

Lumpy

Carrots, beets and apples are sweet. They make everything taste good. Do you like carrot juice? If not, you might be in trouble.

Here's a simple one - 3 apples and a half-lemon (or a whole one, depending on size). Best lemonade you'll ever have. If you like that, next time add half a stalk of celery. Ease into the non-sweet vegetables.

irratebass

Quote from: Lumpy on January 14, 2015, 01:21:33 PM
Carrots, beets and apples are sweet. They make everything taste good. Do you like carrot juice? If not, you might be in trouble.

Here's a simple one - 3 apples and a half-lemon (or a whole one, depending on size). Best lemonade you'll ever have. If you like that, next time add half a stalk of celery. Ease into the non-sweet vegetables.

I like carrots, not sure if I have ever had carrot juice before, but I like all carrots I have had.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it shot.

Lumpy

You wanna mix the bland stuff (celery, cucumber) and bad tasting stuff (leafy greens like kale and spinach, and wheat grass are bitter ) with enough sweet stuff (apples, beets, carrots) so you can drink it.

Carrot juice all by itself is amazing, it's loaded with sugar and might make you jump out of your skin. Great with Mexican food too. Carrot/beet will make you slap your granny!

irratebass

Quote from: Lumpy on January 14, 2015, 06:44:54 PM
You wanna mix the bland stuff (celery, cucumber) and bad tasting stuff (leafy greens like kale and spinach, and wheat grass are bitter ) with enough sweet stuff (apples, beets, carrots) so you can drink it.

Carrot juice all by itself is amazing, it's loaded with sugar and might make you jump out of your skin. Great with Mexican food too. Carrot/beet will make you slap your granny!

Wow, never thought about beets......and that description.....I must try this concoction.