Cutting Boards

Started by black, January 13, 2015, 11:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

Thanks to this forum, I have found myself more confidant in the kitchen and finding recipes that I can actually execute with minimal fuck ups. As that happens, I have been attempting to outfit myself with the basic tools of the kitchen. That led me to this topic, cutting boards.

What is the consensus among y'all?
-Wood? (what wood is preferred?)
-Synthetic?
-Multiple boards for different foods?

Until I started moving beyond just warming stuff up and actually preparing food, I had never given this subject much thought. Looking forward to what everyone has to say.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

black

I remember when you were making them, VOLVO))), and I remember trying to score one off you. What sort of wood did you use?

And yes, Bevis, Jor el, I said wood too.

RAGER

My main one I use for Veg is bamboo.  No meat on that one.  I have a small plastic one I use for raw meat only.  I have another bamboo one for cooked meat and hot food processing.  I have a great big plastic one I use for prepping large amounts of stuff.  Raw meat on one side and veg on the other.  Then I have a big butcher block one with a trough for roasts and big steaks.  Various small plastic ones for citrus and small prep.
No Focus Pocus

peoplething

I have a wooden one, and that's it. I've been using it for about a decade for everything, either raw or cooked. Just rinse with hot soap and water as needed. I also let the dog lick the hell out of it before I wash it. Natural anti-biotics, yo.

yes, I let my dog lick my wooden one.

/somebodyhadtosayit
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

MadJohnShaft

Ewww...

I don't like the bamboo one, it smells but still use it.

Got a bunch of wood ones and a couple plastic ones for cutting meat/chicken that can go in the dishwasher.

How about utensils? I was thinking the other day I can do everything with these:

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Sparkle Motion

I tend to agree with Rager, although I use my white plastic boards more than any others. I like that I can put them in the dishwasher. I like my shit nice and sanitized. 

If you are using wood or bamboo make sure you rub them down with mineral oil after washing and thoroughly drying. Otherwise they will warp.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

Ryno

All wood. Some harder than others...heh heh.

I like the bamboo. But no plastic or glass or weird shit.

Hard maple block ends, boos blocks, counter top extras, even ikea shit, although it warps.

My wife and I have a constant battle because she thinks we already have too many and I want more, different varieties.

Same with knives.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

mortlock

I got all wood. I actually have only one and I seem to have a weird attachment to it.. its like my most fav cuttingboard ever. I have a wooden spoon like that too. is that weird??

MadJohnShaft

My wife piles everything on the cutting board when she's cleaning. Only food goes on there, duh.

Lumpy

Quote from: Sparkle Motion on January 13, 2015, 08:12:12 PM
If you are using wood or bamboo make sure you rub them down with mineral oil after washing and thoroughly drying. Otherwise they will warp.

My wooden cutting board cost $5. I don't care if it warps, you couldn't pay me to rub it down with mineral oil. I pour boiling water on it to kill bacteria, right after I'm done washing it with soap and water. You guys have some high-end cutting boards you want to last a lifetime? Cool!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: black on January 13, 2015, 12:44:32 PM
I remember when you were making them, VOLVO))), and I remember trying to score one off you. What sort of wood did you use?

And yes, Bevis, Jor el, I said wood too.
Cherry. Been using one since I made them, holds up well.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

khoomeizhi

got three for wedding presents 8 years ago. the big laminate one and the bamboo get the most use. got a big plastic one for raw meats and prepping lots of hot peppers (or lots of anything, i guess)
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RacerX

1 hard plastic board & 3 bendable plastic sheets. When they get rough, I buy new ones.

I don't prep, cook or eat meat, but I still spritz the board surface with bleach water after use.
Livin' The Life.

MadJohnShaft

I got this a Star San stuff that everyone uses for sanitation in home brewing instead of bleach- it's gets diluted in a spray bottle -  it gets foamy so it gets in every crack and crevice and it's totally safe and no rinse.   Odorless, tasteless and it breaks down

When I'm cutting chicken or something I spray down the counter, knives, sink and cutting boards and it works amazing.

MadJohnShaft

I lubed them all up the other day, we have too many - I think rubbing with mineral oil helps keep the cracks down and keeps thing sterile.

black

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on January 13, 2015, 06:17:54 PM

How about utensils? I was thinking the other day I can do everything with these:

Do you use a paring knife or is the knife in this picture all you need?

MadJohnShaft

I would use a vegetable peeler but I wasn't trying to be a completist.

khoomeizhi

i love the little melt-marks on the plastic handles of metal spatulas. they're on almost every single damn one.

MadJohnShaft

khoomeizhi

i swear some actually arrived at our house looking like that.

johnny problem

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on February 02, 2015, 08:57:42 AM

I would only use two of these cutting boards.  The one to the complete left, and the one under the paddle.  The ones with handles will warp to shit, the one with the checker pattern is nice looking, that's about it.  It'll fall apart.

deleted account

that's great, but how many iWatches of his would you use?

RAGER

"the one with the checker pattern is nice looking, that's about it.  It'll fall apart."

How dare you.  Jake made that one in shop class.
No Focus Pocus