Black Lagers and similar beer

Started by black aspirin, May 13, 2015, 04:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

So, I've recently gotten hooked on the style of black lager, as well as some of the red ales.  Looking for suggestions beyond what I've tried so far, which I will try to rank in order of preference.

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel (soooo good!)
Kostritzer Black Lager
Shiner Black Lager
KCCO Black Lager
Moose Drool

I don't care for Guiness Draught, and their black lager wasn't very impressive, either.  Any good suggestions?
This Juan goes to 11.

MadJohnShaft

I made one of these and the keg just finished today - so I've been poking around at recipes.  I think you can look for 'Schwarzbier' on the label.   I agree this is a great style worth checking out.  Probably a place that sold it on tap would mean it stayed cold.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/11/16/schwarzbier-recipes-german-black-beer/
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

Well I'll be... there's actually somebody who doesn't like Guinness.

Did you know Guinness is relatively low calorie?
http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/beers-calories-and-carbs

Also has B vitamins.

Most stouts are too sweet for me - Guinness is not.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

black aspirin

Yep, I knew Guiness was fairly low in calories.  I guess it's the nitrogen thing...it tastes flat to me (some people make a big deal about how you need to pour it, or else it will suck...seems kinda stupid to me if it's such a fragile affair).  Warsteiner Premium Dunkel is extremely smooth and flavorful, but not flat.
This Juan goes to 11.

Adam

Quote from: black aspirin on May 13, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
So, I've recently gotten hooked on the style of black lager, as well as some of the red ales.  Looking for suggestions beyond what I've tried so far, which I will try to rank in order of preference.

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel (soooo good!)
Kostritzer Black Lager
Shiner Black Lager
KCCO Black Lager
Moose Drool

I don't care for Guiness Draught, and their black lager wasn't very impressive, either.  Any good suggestions?

Uinta's Baba Black Lager is a really nice session shwarzbier. Packs nice flavor for such a low alcohol beer.

Look to Germany for your dunkel fix.I have only tried a few American dunkels, the two I like (Grimm Brothers Fearless Youth and Prost's Dunkel) are both Colorado products that probably aren't ditributed in your neck of the woods. Brown ales...Avery's Ellie's Brown is good. Red Ales....you like hops or only malts in your red's. If you like hops Odell's Runoff Red IPA (formerly known as Odell Red...name change 110% marketing BS) is my favorite red, though its only a seasonal and currently not in season.

MikeyT

Good stuff.

Kostritzer Black Lager?   Yes indeed.  :P
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

black aspirin

Sprecher's Black Lager is quite good, as is Xingu.

But now I've discovered stouts...holy shit.  Left Hand Milk Stout and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout are heavenly.
This Juan goes to 11.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

black aspirin

I'm gonna look for those, VZ.  In the meantime, this is pretty fucking good.

This Juan goes to 11.

Adam

Only beer from La Cumbre I have been able to try was some Elevated, but it was delicious.  Would love to try their Project Dank offerings and that Malpais Stout. If I ever make it back to NM....

black

Sept. 12th would be a good time to return..
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

ain't seen either a' you two since SHoD

Adam

My now currently unemployed and run out of college loans ass is not going anywhere anytime soon, unfortunately.