MEAT

Started by mutantcolors, April 13, 2012, 12:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

I cannot believe this thread doesn't exist already.

I just prepared a tri tip in an overnight ginger ale brine. I expect the results to be noteworthy tomorrow.

neighbor664

You've seen the BBQ thread right?

libertycaps

Sure. I'll play. Last Saturday: Smoked 9lbs. of pork blade in roast. Still eating it.
Thinking about doing a few pounds of smoked salmon fillets this weekend or next.
I'm going to water bath it this time in mason jars. Last time the shit got moldy.
Live. Learn.

mutantcolors

Quote from: neighbor664 on April 13, 2012, 01:13:18 AM
That's only one style of cooking, there are plenty others, my recent favorite being crock pot chicken thighs. 5lb package on Sunday feeds me through the week, makes killer burrito filling.

khoomeizhi

been marinating cow heart meat in a mostly jerk-themed marinade, slow cooking over a low, smoky fire a couple times recently. holy fuck is it good. makes a damn-fine modified burrito filling, too (only the wife's a little glutarded, so we tend toward the corn soft-taco).
let's dispense the unpleasantries

mutantcolors

For real? I keep seeing beef hearts and the price/lb is great, I'll have to give one a go. Those things are enormous.

NewGuy

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 13, 2012, 01:58:16 AM
That's only one style of cooking, there are plenty others, my recent favorite being crock pot chicken thighs. 5lb package on Sunday feeds me through the week, makes killer burrito filling.

What do you throw in the croc pot for this? Sounds amazing.

I,Galactus

Quote from: NewGuy on April 13, 2012, 12:42:51 PM

What do you throw in the croc pot for this? Sounds amazing.

Word.  Recipes pleez.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

Really?  Chicken thighs in a crock pot sounds amazing? :-\

I guess I'd have to hear more.  I don't do crockpots though.
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on April 13, 2012, 01:02:12 PM
Really?  Chicken thighs in a crock pot sounds amazing? :-\

I guess I'd have to hear more.  I don't do crockpots though.

Amazing may be an overstatement.  This is mainly what interested me:
5lb package on Sunday feeds me through the week, makes killer burrito filling.

Being lazy, broke, and enjoying good food can be a difficult combination. Any help is much appreciated.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

Yes, that is appealing to me too.  I've posted this recipe before but here goes again.

This is a big roasting pan full of chicken thighs, potatoes, tomatoes, and rosemary.  several meals here for one

Take a big pack of boneless thighs, salt and pepper them.  Then brown them a bit in some olive oil or canola oil.  While this is going on boil some yukon golds in salted water. drain the potatoes and let cool a bit. 
                                    ok I'm gonna go off on rosemary for a second.  Don't buy it in the store.  This stuff grows in peoples yards unattended.                  Go for a walk in your neighborhood and you'll surely see a big bush somewhere.  Ask or don't ask.  Just pick a couple branches off and take it home.  A small packet in the store will cost you $3.  Bullshit.

Anyways while the potatoes are cooling, chop up prolly aboot a cup of just the needles of rosemary and pour several glugs of evoo over the rosemary with some salt and pepper too.  let that sit while you tend to the chicken.  After chicken is browned put it in the big roasting pan along with the potatoes. slightly break up the taters by pushing your thumb down onto them just until they start to smush a bit.  Add a can of  diced unsalted tomatoes and the olive oil rosemary ,stuff stir to incorporate everything. baked in pre-heated oven (350 F) for about 40 minutes.  Eat off of for a few days.
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

^Applauded.  "RAGER's rosemary chicken" will be coming oot of my oven ASAP.

mutantcolors

Well, honestly, I put absolutely nothing in! Straight chicken, that is all. I have attempted seasonings but with that much chicken, the huge quantity of fats and juices that render out really masks/dilutes what I have attempted, so I season to taste afterward. Just remove the bones and cartilage, go to shred town with all that delectable concentrated chicken juice and you are left with a delicious, yet mostly blank slate to flavor however you want for each meal. I think it's great without any seasoning from there even.

You could go verde with some tomatillos and jals etc for example, but then you're stuck eating the same thing for most of a week.

I've done a couple cups of black beans and quinoa mixed in after, with a lot off success as well.

RAGER

Again I can't stress enough about browning the meat first.  it takes it to the next level.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Lumpy

Umm yeah... I had some stew-sized beef chunks in the refrigerator. A 1.5 pound package that i didn't get around to cooking. Technically, it was good until "tomorrow" but when I inspected it, some of it had developed a blue tinge on top (where it was exposed to air I guess). Not grey or brown, starting to look blue. have I mentioned blue yet? Not moldy, not a rainbow on it, but a blue tinge.

I trimmed a few of the pieces where it looked the worst, but certainly not every piece (would have taken too long, and the pieces were all small and irregular. So, it's a hassle to trim). I cut all the pieces into quarters, though (large dice, basically). That was easy.

I just cooked the hell out of it on the range top, with a half a diced onion, and later added some leftover habanero salsa and water which I reduced back to normal. About 40 minutes of cooking time. Stew meat, so it could withstand a long cooking time, no problem.

Ate some (tacos) and saved some for later, it was delicious. But am I going to be shitting blood later? Srsly, health risks? I usually don't do that, I usually toss anything questionable. And I had other things I could cook, so saving it was unnecessary. Hopefully I won't be shitting water while I'm on public transportation tomorrow.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Live2B

ummmm, Mom for 20 years..."Good until tomorrow" on the package; you should be just fine LOL.

mutantcolors

I have a good 2lb left of my tri tip that looks suspiciously similar to the last pic.

The ginger ale brine tenderized that mother up good. Fresh pineapple juice and soy sauce baste half way, most ran off on to the pan to mingle with the drippings which i then collected. Liquid beef sweet and sour sauce of the gods.

RAGER

Lumpy, 40 minutes ain't long.  Try like an hour and a half or 2 in a dutch oven on low or in the oven @325.  Would've turned out muy tender.

BROWN IT FIRST
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I did brown it, I browned the hell out of it. I love browning, we go way back.

It's very tasty, I just wonder if my colon is going to fall out. I've never seen meat turn blue before. :(

GodShifter

Lumpster, I'd bet your fine. Did it smell bad? If not, I think you're in the clear.

RAGER

If you weren't barfing by 2am you're fine.  For my ribs, I like to let them sit in the fridge for a couple weeks, then wash the slime off and slow cook em.  Let the meat break down a bit.  Can't do this in the restaurant though.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

It smelled okay, not totally fresh, more like "eat this soon". I've smelled worse. No problems so far. I usually throw stuff out if there is any question; this was a little out of character for me.