MEAT

Started by mutantcolors, April 13, 2012, 12:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

how do you prepare something 'asada'. i used to love the carne asada burritos i got at filibertos when i lived in az.

mutantcolors

I believe it's the cut of the meat, not the preparation, though in Spanish it just means "grilled meat." I associate it with the small, bite size pieces.

RAGER

lots of different ways to do it.  i do it quite a bit different than my sisters restaurant.  The common thread is usually rough chopped cilantro and sliced onions.  i put some orange and lime juice in mine.  Some habanero and some other stuff like paprika and chile powder for some color also a bit more garlic that hispanics would use.
No Focus Pocus

Gigi

Whenever I cook with my little mexican granny and want to use lime, lemon or orange juice she makes a confused looking face. She gets VERY upset when we break out the sour cream....major faux pas in our Mexican family!

mortlock

Quote from: Gigi on June 12, 2012, 11:51:46 PM
Whenever I cook with my little mexican granny and want to use lime, lemon or orange juice she makes a confused looking face. She gets VERY upset when we break out the sour cream....major faux pas in our Mexican family!
i bet your granny know what shes talking about. im not so sure id continue the bad sour cream behavoir..   

Gigi

Yeahhhh she's got the Mexican temper to go along with the cooking skills! Her tamales are HEAVEN!

mortlock

im sure..i need to get out west soon. i cant get good mexican food around here at all.

MadJohnShaft

I'm asada you can't get capital I's
Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

mutantcolors

My tri-tip is pretty easy but here you go.

Marinate overnight in soy sauce and ginger ale.

More tomorrow...

mortlock

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mutantcolors

Drain, pat dry, make a foil boat. The foil boat helps with cleanup, but mostly we will be collecting the juice off this baby for a sauce.

The other parts of the sauce, same as marinade. About 1:1 on soy sauce/ginger ale.

I buy cuts that weigh about 2lb. They take about 22-25 minutes at 400 degrees, on the rare side.
About 15 minutes in, take it out and baste the sauce over that sucker. Back in it goes. The sauce and steak juice will mingle and reduce down into liquid magic.

mortlock

my only critical observation is that you should have used a quality ginger ale like canada dry..

astroman

Cooked my first 2 chicken titties tonight. I'm a chef!   

RAGER

Quote from: mutantcolors on June 15, 2012, 04:52:25 PM
Drain, pat dry, make a foil boat. The foil boat helps with cleanup, but mostly we will be collecting the juice off this baby for a sauce.

The other parts of the sauce, same as marinade. About 1:1 on soy sauce/ginger ale.

I buy cuts that weigh about 2lb. They take about 22-25 minutes at 400 degrees, on the rare side.
About 15 minutes in, take it out and baste the sauce over that sucker. Back in it goes. The sauce and steak juice will mingle and reduce down into liquid magic.

I'm sorry but I have to be honest.  This does not look appetizing.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

i made this the other night.

Communal plate with a no egg potato salad and some greens in a vinaigrette.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on June 16, 2012, 10:48:11 PM

I'm sorry but I have to be honest.  This does not look appetizing.

Where is the blue light coming from (reflection on the foil) -- that's not going to make any meat look appealing.

Is it a roast? ??? Baked @ 400 = roast?

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Desertblues

Leg of lamb marinated in lemon juice, EVO, garlic and oregano then slow roasted for 6hrs.

mutantcolors

Anyone else not able to get on here the past day or so? I couldn't log in to finish that up.

Anyway finish cooking it and slice it across the grain. Or not. Guess some motherfuckers are too fancy here.

khoomeizhi

i had a quarter-day of no-worky.

you got pics of the 'finish up cooking' or 'slicing' parts, it might help. not sure the digital colors are really doing it justice? it does look a little on the gray side.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Lumpy

I've never made a tri-tip, I don't even know what it is.  ???
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Quote from: mutantcolors on June 17, 2012, 12:23:40 PM
Anyone else not able to get on here the past day or so? I couldn't log in to finish that up.

Anyway finish cooking it and slice it across the grain. Or not. Guess some motherfuckers are too fancy here.

Well for what I do the shit's gotta look good too.  The steamed look just isn't "in" right now.
No Focus Pocus

GodShifter

Presentation is great n' all, but with that said, it can look great and be underwhelming taste wise. So, how food looks isn't even 30% of the game, if you ask me. Is it important in a restaurant setting? Yes. At home = zero.

Still, mutant, no offense, but that meat doesn't look great. But maybe it tastes awesome, though.

Food has the ability to photograph great (shit, look at Red Lobster's commercials). That stuff looks great on film. Yet, you know it's substandard bullshit you get on your plate if you were (silly enough) to eat there. (see first comment)

MadJohnShaft

Got into grandma's sherry again.

That does indeed look just awful.
Some days chickens, some days feathers