MEAT

Started by mutantcolors, April 13, 2012, 12:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I,Galactus

Quote from: mutantcolors on May 04, 2012, 02:30:53 AM
That's rib eye, it needs no marinade. It's like the red meat equivalent to an orgasm.
Applauded.

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I love when I grill ribeye and part of it curls up and forms a saucer for the au jus.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on May 01, 2012, 11:10:56 AM
dude that steak is sooo incredibly simple.

Get a thick ass rib eye. sprinkle with salt and pepper and let rest on the counter to come up to nearly room temp.
Preheat your oven to 500 with a dry cast iron skillet in it.  that's right.
After that skillet is blazin fuckn hot turn a burner on high and put the hot as shit skillet on it and let it heat up even more for aboot a minute.  no shit
meanwhile drizzle just a bit of evoo on both sides of the steak.  Drop that steak on the skillet and don't touch it for 30 sec.  Flip and leave for another 30 sec.
grab the skillet and throw it back in the 500 degree oven for 2 minutes.  Flip then 2 minutes more.
pull it out and let it rest ontop of an inverted small plate ontop of another plate and cover loosely with foil for 3 minutes (  This keeps it from stewing in juices and insures a nice crisp crust)
Slice thinly on an angle and fan out.  Enjoy.
ha..i see you used the 'inverted small plate ontop of another plate' trick. nice.

RAGER

Yep.  some people would balk at not letting it stew in it's juices but if you want to keep that nice crust you have to let go.  Maybe mix that juice in a very very dirty Martini to have while waiting for the meat to rest.  But hey I'm kinda crazy like that. ;)  Wouldn't that be great to do table side??
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Seared steak run off Martini? You sir, are mad.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

khoomeizhi

mad with flavor, maybe. that shit sounds good.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

mutantcolors

No joke, I will drink that steak juice right off the pan. Especially off a filet mignon. I make a little foil boat for them kinda to keep the pan clean, but mostly so I can drink the juice.

Also, ginger ale soy sauce tri-tip marinade round 2 is going down right now.

RAGER

Tonight is puerco pibil.  6 lbs of it.  Luna Azul shots and Victoria.
No Focus Pocus

NCR600

Quote from: mutantcolors on May 06, 2012, 01:42:33 PM
No joke, I will drink that steak juice right off the pan. Especially off a filet mignon. I make a little foil boat for them kinda to keep the pan clean, but mostly so I can drink the juice.

Also, ginger ale soy sauce tri-tip marinade round 2 is going down right now.

Leafing through a French cookbook from the 60's the other night, I read something in the section on horse meat that made me think of your above post:
Quote from: French Cooking Today
Horse 'sugar' is commonly given to young children because of its nutritional qualities; take a medium-thick slice of roasting meat; heat it in a frying pan with no other fat for the time it takes to count to ten slowly. Press out the slice-you will get about a demi-tasse of juice. This is the 'sugar,' and one cupful is the daily ration for a child

I'm actually pretty keen to try horse meat, except it's impossible to get here. One butchery was going to start selling it commercially, but they got death threats and pulled the plug on it. Anyone here tried it?

I,Galactus

Quote from: NCR600 on May 09, 2012, 06:14:21 AM
I'm actually pretty keen to try horse meat, except it's impossible to get here. One butchery was going to start selling it commercially, but they got death threats and pulled the plug on it. Anyone here tried it?

Had some horsemeat salami when I was in Hungary last.  It was way too intensely rich for me, like venison but way heavier.

Not surprised about the death threats.  My wife's an equestrian enthusiast, and there's nothing that riles her up like horsemeat.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mortlock

i thought they made dog food from horse meat.

NCR600

Yeah, dunno, one time I went to a dogfood factory I didn't see any horses. I know they make glue and/or gelatine from horses. My granma used to live a short walk upwind from a glue/gelatine factory and they used to have piles of animal parts, some of which were recognisably equine, and I got kicked in the nuts by a hose obsessed girl in 3rd grade when I told her that they made glue from horses.

Bit of a waste really, If the meat's good, we should eat the good bits instead of turning it into glue or animal feed. I'd probably try dogmeat too, but I draw the line at cat.

I,Galactus

Yep, glue and gelatin are still equine products.  Dogfood's a thing of the past (in the US anyway).

MadJohnShaft

I just Won an extra Meat Share from my CSA.... everyone at work gets a free Live Chicken. , au natural style.

mertzy

Quote from: RAGER on April 13, 2012, 02:42:45 PMYes, that is appealing to me too.  I've posted this recipe before but here goes again.

This is a big roasting pan full of chicken thighs, potatoes, tomatoes, and rosemary.  several meals here for one

Take a big pack of boneless thighs, salt and pepper them.  Then brown them a bit in some olive oil or canola oil.  While this is going on boil some yukon golds in salted water. drain the potatoes and let cool a bit.  
                                    ok I'm gonna go off on rosemary for a second.  Don't buy it in the store.  This stuff grows in peoples yards unattended.                  Go for a walk in your neighborhood and you'll surely see a big bush somewhere.  Ask or don't ask.  Just pick a couple branches off and take it home.  A small packet in the store will cost you $3.  Bullshit.

Anyways while the potatoes are cooling, chop up prolly aboot a cup of just the needles of rosemary and pour several glugs of evoo over the rosemary with some salt and pepper too.  let that sit while you tend to the chicken.  After chicken is browned put it in the big roasting pan along with the potatoes. slightly break up the taters by pushing your thumb down onto them just until they start to smush a bit.  Add a can of  diced unsalted tomatoes and the olive oil rosemary ,stuff stir to incorporate everything. baked in pre-heated oven (350 F) for about 40 minutes.  Eat off of for a few days.
Rager ! I'm in Texas visiting! Making this as we speak for dinner...I'm calling it "Rager chicken".

RAGER

Awesome.  Hope it turns out well for you and everyone ;D
No Focus Pocus

mertzy

Is this right? Soooooo, soooo good!

My family can't stop eating it!

khoomeizhi

marinated some stew/kebab beef in a mixture of homemade saag sauce (got a huge mess of greens for helping a farmer friend last week) mixed with some coarse hot mustard...cooked it over wood coals. holy shit, that's good.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

Way to go Mertzy.  It is super good isn't it?  All you need is a green salad and it's a whole meal right there.
No Focus Pocus

mertzy

One problem.... No leftovers....it's all been eaten up!
I think I should have you give me cooking assignments!

MadJohnShaft

RAGER chicken night our house tonight

RAGER

Post a pic if ya can Shaft.  Curious to see how it looks.  Merty's looks a bit different than mine.  next time I'll post a pic..

Tonight dinner is at my girls house with her mom and brother.  her brother is making his outstanding potato salad than I enjoy eating way too much of and we're grilling some meaty things.  I made a marinade of evoo, vinegar, cumin, coriander, smoke pap, s&p, red pepper, and garlic for kebabs.  Gonna pack all that up in my pack and ride my new wheels over there in a few.

Happy dining all.  It's near 90 here today.
No Focus Pocus

mertzy

I probably f'd up your axing recipe! Damn it was tasty thought! I wish you had a cooking blog or website!
MJS is gonna love it! Soooo yummy!

mertzy

Well MJS.... How was it? Pics?

MadJohnShaft

Great. But I forgot to take a picture ;)

mortlock

i friend is bringing me a can of haggis back from his trip to scottland.

rager..how should i do this??