Humous

Started by Dunedin, August 18, 2012, 04:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to us West coasters.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Nom! As a veggie who does a lot of cooking I'm surprised to realise iv never made it!

If I was gonna tho I'd use raw garlic (I like the spicy kick it gives raw in dips) and add beans (as James said) it'd add nuttiness/creaminess/earthiness depending which, broad beans would be my first choice, also I like the idea of adding walnuts, or sun dried tomatoes, this will all happen soon!
DooM!

deleted account

yes!  I just remembered I've used cashews before and it was good.  walnuts and pine nuts would work too

RAGER

Pine nuts on top drizzled with strong flavored olive oil and some cayenne.  Italian salsa verde on top.  Basil pesto with sun dried tomatoes.  Preserved lemons with sesame oil and parsley. Roasted red peppers.  Millions of combos.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

That was beautiful rager.... ~.~ ;)
DooM!

JemDooM

Finally made my first Hummous!! Why was it dry tho?

I used:
Tin of Chickpeas (drained)
Tablespoon of tahini
Few glugs of olive oil (seemed like a lot)
Teaspoon of chilli paste
Loads of paprika
Clove of garlic
Juice of half a lemon

It was so damn dry the blender couldn't even move so I added a few glugs of sesame oil but I felt aware of there being a massive amount of oil going into it, is that normal?

It was still slightly dry but really good, what's the deal, more lemon? More oil?
DooM!

RAGER

Use some of the juice from the can of chickpeas.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Baba ghanouj is a good thing to make it at the same time you make hummus since a lot of the supporting ingredients are the same

Some days chickens, some days feathers

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

She said she added more sesame oil but that would really affect the flavor.  if you still want it a bit soupier but not over sesame-ey do the chickpea juice trick.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

tahini is just bland sesame seed peanut butter, I don't see how that would un-dry it.  curious as to how sesame oil would make it taste.

sesame oil:  it's not just for ramen anymore!

JemDooM

I'll try some chickpea juice tonight, thanks guys, and more tahini khoomz just because it's awesome, the stuff I have is very dry tho, and more garlic, I'd run out last time only had one clove!
DooM!

khoomeizhi

was talking mostly for next time - though good tahini should really be fairly wet, and that's why i recommended it - sesame's got one of the highest oil contents of all seeds - around 50%. should be way soupier than peanut butter, priest, if it's worth using.

is the sesame oil the toasted stuff, or no? real easy to overdo the toasted stuff, should be safer with the 'regular' to remoisten hummus. tiny bit of water might not hurt either. * not all sesame oils are equal *

JemDooM

Thanks guys that did the trick! Upped the garlic and tahini loads too so it was much better, khoomz it was regular sesame oil, I hadn't thought of buying toasted actually that sounds awesome!

Can't wait to make more, have to wait until payday, I am literally too broke to buy chickpeas haha!
DooM!

MadJohnShaft

I bought a bag of dried chickpeas - One of these weekends I'll a try hummus and run it through the meat grinder attachment on the KitchenAid vs from a can in the food processor.

Ryno

Oh man I gotta try that coconut oil thing.  Been using it for everything lately instead of canola or olive oil when cooking.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

nicster

MJS, if you've got a bag of chickpeas, I recommend making roasted chickpeas as well as hummus. Roasted chickpeas are dead easy to make and are a delicious snack (healthy too).

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/21677/crunchy+baked+chickpeas

JemDooM

DooM!

RAGER

We make those often and put over salads.
No Focus Pocus

nicster

JenDoom, you should try them. I love roasted chickpeas but have found they work best when you used the dried chickpeas (after cooking them of course). The tinned ones are too mushy and don't crisp up in the oven as well as the dried ones. I usually just spray them with some olive oil, dust them with whatever spice I'm in the mood for (chilli powder, or smokey paprika or sumac) and throw them in the oven for 45 minutes or so. Delish!

I like the idea of using them on salads too. Good idea, Rager.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah I made oven baked chickpeas before, this time of year we are eating pumpkin seeds galore. Still searching for the elusive pepitas pumpkin that produces the green shell-less seeds. Bought one I thought was the right species but no.

nicster

You can't get pepitas (the green ones) in the US? I'm surprised. They are really easy to find here.

khoomeizhi

shaft - look for 'kakai' or 'lady godiva's pumpkin'

and be warned, for most of the 'pepita' pumpkins, the flesh isn't really worth eating.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah kakai

I'm trying one if those next

We can get all the weird pumpkins and squash one could hope for, they are native. The Hispanic population assures pepitas are sold everywhere.