Flight

Started by boltthrow, November 12, 2012, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltthrow

Incredibly thrilling plane sequence at the beginning.  Just great.  Good performance from Denzel (although nothing new and different -- as the black Gene Hackman, he's ALWAYS convincing).  Super hot naked chick at beginning.  But a lot of it teeters right on the edge of goofiness.  A couple characters go a little too nuts with cornpone accents and sleazy southern-ness (the landlord).  Heroin girl is kinda too sweet and eyelash-y.  Cancer Dude in hallway floats in for some spiritual lessons.  Jesus-sy people are just this side of totally insane.  Badly-Photoshopped photos and old heart-warming videos are used to show us what Denzel has lost.

And overall, the second half of the movie becomes a familiar Afternoon Special will-he-seek-help-for-his-addiction? kind of thing.  John Goodman arrives as comic relief.  What's really odd is that for a movie about a guy having a monumental struggle with addiction, Goodman comes in and thrills us with "hey let's so some major coke!" stuff.  A lot of it is very affecting (mainly because of Denzel's naturalness) but by the end seems very very neatly-wrapped up.   

Not a bad movie... but not quite as profound as it wants to be?

GodShifter

I saw it about a week back and I enjoyed much more than I thought I would.

Yeah, it ended somewhat predictably but not exactly run of the mill; there were a couple of different ways they could have gone with the conclusion, but not what I thought, so kudos for that.

Denzel is Denzel in every movie, but he's always pretty good.

As far as the home movies and badly photoshopped pictures, I totally agree. That was totally him playing his dad in the video and the make up and voice was not done real well to make it very believable. A small gripe, but it made me wince a bit. Another small gripe: that 'mini-bar' was like no mini-bar I've ever seen in my life. Stocked ten deep with every kind of alcoholic drink you can think of? No hotel I've been in has had something like that. Pretty ridiculous. Also, didn't Denzel's character have a security guy outside the door the whole night? Yet, the guy can't hear him boozing it up, the music, and him pulling the mini-bar out of the wall in the other room? Ok.

Finally, total grand hot babe at the beginning! Nadine Velazquez is smoking hot. If I woke up to that, I don't think I'd ever get out of bed.

boltthrow

She turned around with the full beav and half my theater fell out of their chairs.

The Shocker

I agree with Shifter, he always plays himself playing a character  Needless to say, not a fan of Denzel and his EGO.  Still interested to see this though.