Dave'sCookinShow!!

Started by black, June 22, 2016, 10:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

mortlock said:
"episode 30 is a beer review with a special guest drummer."

Muffin Man

I never liked a red ale either, even a good one is bad.

mortlock

episode 31 - Black Iron Sizzle with 2 NY Strips!!

mortlock

mortlock

mortlock

Old world chicken salad. Super healthy and delicious.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Two home runs in a row. (oops there were 4 in a row but I mean the last two) just gorgeous.

mortlock

thank you gentlemen. i have a very special episode in post production. its very close to my heart. my moms secret recipe sauce passed on to her from her father who came over from italy.
i was groomed at a very young age probably like 7 or 8. as she would make the sauce she would call me over and show me what she added and how much. if you asked her how much olive oil do you use, she would make a circular motion with her arm as if she was adding olive oil. she'd do that for the required amount / time and say 'about that much'. nothing was written down. as i got older she would call me over and let me taste it, then test me by asking what adjustments it needed. after awhile i learned exactly what and how much it needed of any ingredient. she was an amazing cook and i miss her very much.

RAGER

I made a very simple 4 ingredient sauce last night for some conchiglie.
Canned tomatoes, salt, half an onion not chopped, and about 1/4 cup butter plus a little.  Simmer for about an hour with generous amount of pecorino on top.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i found a few older episodes in post production that have not been released yet due to on camera involvement from my lovely assistant. she has been reluctant to go in front of the camera and has not signed off on it. the daves cookin show legal team is working with her people to get these episodes out.

RAGER

Let's see em.

Mistake on my recipe above corrected to 1/4 cup butter plus a little.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: mortlock on February 21, 2021, 06:31:42 PM
thank you gentlemen. i have a very special episode in post production. its very close to my heart. my moms secret recipe sauce passed on to her from her father who came over from italy.
i was groomed at a very young age probably like 7 or 8. as she would make the sauce she would call me over and show me what she added and how much. if you asked her how much olive oil do you use, she would make a circular motion with her arm as if she was adding olive oil. she'd do that for the required amount / time and say 'about that much'. nothing was written down. as i got older she would call me over and let me taste it, then test me by asking what adjustments it needed. after awhile i learned exactly what and how much it needed of any ingredient. she was an amazing cook and i miss her very much.

WOW! That's gotta be gold

mortlock

mortlock

RAGER

Is that your Sunday gravy? 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Yes although we always called it sauce. Guess it depends in which part of italy you come from.

Muffin Man

What a treat! It encourages me to try some pork in a batch this weekend. I need to get a slow cooker....do you slow cook the "Aud" sauce?

RAGER

You don't need no slow cooker
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I always slow cook whether its on the stove or in the crock.

The meats are one of the secrets to the sauce.

Aud being short for Audrey who is my mom. Everyone called her aud. All my cousins called her aunt aud.

Muffin Man

I totally got the aud nick! That's a cool one. Do you use olive oil in the recipe or, upon presentation? I love a bowl of pasta with a spoon.

mortlock

Olive oil added during the prep / cooking time.
Its a very basic recipe. Italian seasoning, olive oil, garlic. Alot of the flavor comes from the meats. Must have meatballs, pork and mild italian sausage with fennel (dont use hot or other flavored sausage. it will alter the flavor, not enhance it like the mild fennel). Brown all the meats in a pan and then add to the sauce. From there add some tomato paste to the meat drippings and stir it in. Once it all melts together dump it all into the sauce. Tons of flavor in the drippings.
I never add onion or green bell peppers or anything but garlic. Keep it simple. Cut with a pinch of sugar to cut the acid if necessary. Adjust the italian seasoning as you go. I will usually add a few spoon fulls of prcarino romano cheese but not too much.

RAGER

What sick fuck would add green bell pepper to that sauce?  Fuck that!  It'd ruin it. Simple is right. All the seasonings are in the meatballs and sausage. Maybe a little salt, sugar and evoo.

I would do two things different. 1.) no crockpot. Your sauce should end in the same pan as you browned the meat. 2.) I would add a whole onion. Whole not chopped. Then dig it out after.  Onions marry flavor.

Bell pepper rant.

I don't hate em but they have their place. Not in stock. Nor broccoli. Argued with a chef I cooked for briefly before I got back into RV's about being a little selective about what goes into the stock pot. "Everything goes into the stock. We waste nothing". I can totally get behind that but.....  some things don't go into stock. Thems a couple.  Frustrating because we bought really great products but he was young and the execution was not there. I didn't last long. Used to get my fill of duck confit and pork belly though. Heh.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Outstanding, thanks for that Mort. I will drum-up a batch tomorrow* except with the wrong sausage - I'll look for some fennel sausage next week.

*angling for a west coast garbage plate knock off this afternoon. I plan on throwing the kitchen sink at it.

Muffin Man

RAGER, those are tips I am taking to.the.bank.

sidenote, been using bell peppers lately in my fajitas - probably a legit use.