Amp Tech Thread / Ask a tech Q

Started by Hemisaurus, February 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal and Beer

There's a huge range of quality with Ibanez going back over three decades
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

I just don't like them, ugly headstocks, too light, thin necks, meh meh meh.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

Have you played one of the "lawsuit" models from the 70's? You know, the ones that were nearly identical to the Gibsons of the day?
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Metal and Beer on March 01, 2012, 03:50:55 PM
Have you played one of the "lawsuit" models from the 70's? You know, the ones that were nearly identical to the Gibsons of the day?

Well, yeah, but I'm not counting those as Ibanez. Those aren't the guitars that everyone associates with Ibanez. These are:

Unfinished scalloped fretboard says it all.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

They also come in black..

I like thin necks but my wrists are pretty weak/still somewhat fucked up. One in mahogany would probably treat me right although I do think they look kind of blah.

Demon Lung

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 01, 2012, 01:10:21 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 01, 2012, 02:38:27 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on February 29, 2012, 01:39:37 AM
The Set neck callistos can be made into great players.

It's too bad those juniors all have P90s. Humbucker size P90s would make them more versatile. I want more gain.

Going to jam on my buddy's RG through my Laney this weekend and see how that goes.

Ibanez = Ibenhad. Fuck those things. Firewood.
I have to disagree. While nothing is quite an SG I've owned 2 ibanez's. I had a custom S series that was incredible and I have just the regular black ibanez and it does everything that I want it to

I,Galactus

Keep my Ibanez away from yo fire!  >:(

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

liquidsmoke

I'm getting this figured out. What I want in a new axe-

mahogany body
no more than 8 pounds
2 passive pups
4 knobs
black
not neck heavy
half way decent quality all around
no more than $300

One of these in black would probably do the trick if it could take regular size pups- http://www.rondomusic.com/callistojrnat.html

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I'm using a fairly wide padded strap now and that's going okay with my junior but I'm not sure how it would go with that beast.

All black, I prefer the dots(because I suck), and with a good setup and electronics upgrades and fret job if needed this would do it-

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

liquidsmoke

If Gtr'd Center has one of these in black tomorrow morning that plays well I'll probably pick it up. You all have until about 9am central time to talk me out of it. Me wanting this guitar has nothing to do with it saying Epiphone on the headstock. It's about the light weight, dots, and looks over the probably higher quality Agile. I am confident that if I don't get a lemon it can be made to play and sound perfect.

VOLVO)))

Meh, do what you want. You asked, we answered. If it ends up sucking, lesson learned. The Agile will have way better QC, and overall better quality. So. Do what you will.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

I don't doubt you. If I get the Epi and it sucks I'll return it.

VOLVO)))

True.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

And if it doesn't suck it's going to a pro for the works and eventually I'll have recordings of it for yall to hear.

liquidsmoke

$297 plus tax. Currently in E and it shakes the fucking house. B is going to destroy. To me this is a real Les Paul. I should have bought one of these 10 years ago!

VOLVO)))

Cool!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Have it in B now with a 13-59 set. Sounds like Victor Pentagram meets the heaviest power metal imaginable through my Laney GH50 with no pedals. It took 5 or 10 minutes for me just to get used to the blasting thick tone, it seemed like overkill at first. The neck is thicker than I would like but I respect it and it's fine because the sound is so heavy. Fucking devastating. Les Pauls rule, even this cheap one that was MADE IN CHINA. This is it. If I become financially well off in the future I'm buying the heaviest vintage Gibson LP(or maybe a top tier Agile) I can find and I'll lift more weights if need be so I can play it without shoulder pain.

I'm not even sure this thing needs new pups, the stocks ones sound amazing at the moment and the frets seem very level. I'll try to lower the action a bit soon and see how that goes.

Oh also, the neck is set, not a bolt on like I previously thought. Probably helps somewhat.

VOLVO)))

drop it all the way to the frets, then raise it until it stops buzzing. Just like the pros.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Thinking about ordering these for my Epi LP, am I crazy?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Power-Rails-Crushing-power-Killer-Tone-Black-on-Black_c_106.html

I would of course keep the mid and treble knobs turned down as much as need be to avoid ice picky tone.

mortlock

if i had a p bass or a j bass with the pickups wired into one volume..and wanted to eliminate the tone control knob..how do you make sure the tone is what you want it to be?? i mean without the tone knob to set it..what is it naturally..am i making sense?? i want my bass to be set at the full bass setting..how do i make sure my bass is set at that when the tone knob is removed..

moose23

When you say full bass do you mean tone knob rolled all the way back? If so you need to replace the pot with a equal value resistor.

If it's full on then no need to replace it with anything.

Hemisaurus

Eh? don't you mean for tone at 0 replace with a capacitor, for tone at 10 don't?

The tone is just a bleed to ground via a cap. At zero the cap is effectively across the vol control, at 10 it's in series with the full tone pot resistance.

If your worried about tone control, don't yank it. If you never touch the tone control, just yank it.

moose23

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 08, 2012, 08:10:00 AM
Eh? don't you mean for tone at 0 replace with a capacitor, for tone at 10 don't?

The tone is just a bleed to ground via a cap. At zero the cap is effectively across the vol control, at 10 it's in series with the full tone pot resistance.

If your worried about tone control, don't yank it. If you never touch the tone control, just yank it.

Eh yeah that's exactly what I meant. Dunno what I was thinking there.