Amp Tech Thread / Ask a tech Q

Started by Hemisaurus, February 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Could I use one of those One spot battery replacer clips, and measure the positive by poking my probe through the vinyl? Or is that just measuring from the wall? I need to get a book on this. On the schem, that 100uF cap you're talking aboot is right off the DC-in, right off Q11? I'm going to replace the battery snap in the pedal, it never did this before I changed the battery last night. I think I may have been a little rough on'er...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

No. You have to interrupt the circuit to measure current, it has to flow through the meter.

You know you can get a battery clip by ripping apart a battery, right ;)

Don't bother measuring the current if you think you just have a duff clip, actually you could take the battery (and power supply) off the pedal, and just ohm out across the clip and see if you read a short.

VOLVO)))

Will report back with findings! and a new Peavey 8x10!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I had to borrow one of them when I blew my top cab on tour. I was surprised by how little power they can actually handle, like 400W or something?

Be careful.

VOLVO)))

I noticed that. It's 4 ohms, my 2x15 is 4 ohms, it's got 1200 watts of handling.

between the two, my 650@2 won't kill it, will it? It's 480@4, but I've never turned it passed noon...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Oh that's OK then, the 810TVX is 400W RMS 800W Peak ;D

VOLVO)))

So it'll handle up to 600? it's getting 450lulz... It's got a blown tweeter. You can dial it out completely on the back, but I may want to replace it for shits and giggles... Peavey sells replacements?

Pretty bass rig, ain't it?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Well it looks like an 810TVX and they are puny as a wet paper towel.

My 4x10 handles 800W RMS and I still managed to blow it, hence my fear of using the 810TVX, I think our last couple of shows on that tour I was kinda quiet. Now I'm using a 500W RMS amp rather than a 3000W amp, and no 4x10's in fact no bloody 10's atall. Only a certified butt-pussy uses 10's ;)

VOLVO)))

Yeah, but I'm not going to fry it with that 450@4 not really cranked at all, I don't think. I really like how it sounds, it's kind of awesome. If I feel like it's going to give me shit, I'll buy those blowout 10s from Avatar. If I can do it, It'd be 1600 watts of handling. I could run my poweramp at 1200 with it and a 2x15... mmmm....

I wonder if that's just a shitty little tweeter in there... I wonder if it's worth replacing it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Someone was doing an awesome deal on 15" Fanes, maybe loudspeakersplus.com ???

After my old Selmer amp, with it's 12" Fane, I worship those speakers.

VOLVO)))

Holy fuck, A grand new? I paid a hundred bucks... I guess it has a crossover in there, too.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Who would pay $1000 for a 400W 8x10 I'd buy a couple of Behringers, and fuck what people say about them.

Those Basson's were nasty cab's. With an 8x10 you get cheap generic 10's and still come out at 800W RMS or more. Parts Express cheapest pro woofer is 125W and $17.94 $144 gets you  1000W handling.

VOLVO)))

Those are car audio drivers in those Bassons. I've gutted one or two in my day.

The low handling power doesn't worry me, and the speakers sound pretty goddamn good. You're just a weenie when it comes to power. I ran the bass rig with the 8x10/2x15 from my poweramp to see if it matched my volume on guitar just a little while ago. It's louder than me, now, It's nice to not have to dime the preamp and poweramp to get decent volume for once. I'm pleased.

Besides, for a hundred bucks, what the fuck ever, That's a hell of a deal, snobby grumpy Scotsman aside! :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Hey, just cause you don't own any amps that can blow the balls off it ;D

I think next time out, we need a separate trailer just for speakers. I'll setup a show in Daytona Beach, open your windows, you'll hear it ;D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 13, 2011, 10:29:53 PM
Hey, just cause you don't own any amps that can blow the balls off it ;D

I think next time out, we need a separate trailer just for speakers. I'll setup a show in Daytona Beach, open your windows, you'll hear it ;D

Hahaha, I'd come see ya. I'm thinking about a small trailer for our shit, Got plenty of places to store a trailer. They can be had for not too much money 'round these parts.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I had a hitch fitted to the wagon, before the guitarist pussed out and we became a duo.

Don't have the wagon anymore, I've been convincing Gzus he needs to borrow some hard drum cases, and we can put the drums on a roof rack. Bob has a trailer, but it's huge, wouldn't want to pull it with a car.

That EV of mine would be a neat bike trailer, but not 65+mph trailer.

VOLVO)))

Gearing up for another tour when you become unemployed? ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Gearing up for another tour after a couple of years of failed guitarists ;)

Fuck 'em, I guess the gas mask is coming out of retirement.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 13, 2011, 10:56:48 PM
Gearing up for another tour after a couple of years of failed guitarists ;)

Fuck 'em, I guess the gas mask is coming out of retirement.

Seriously? EVERYONE has failed you again? Goddamn...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

It's a maybe. An ad just appeared on a local forum, that reads pretty much like the one I found our current one from, minus the stuff that made me approach him in the first place. He did play with Gzus for the first time last practice, before that we'd just been figuring shit out between us.

VOLVO)))

If I wanted to raise the handling power of that cab, Could I, In theory, buy four of those 200W handling Celestions from Avatar, and couple each one with one of the original drivers?

200+50? Or will the 50 watter still blow? I remember there was some rule for this.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 14, 2011, 10:54:12 PM
If I wanted to raise the handling power of that cab, Could I, In theory, buy four of those 200W handling Celestions from Avatar, and couple each one with one of the original drivers?

200+50? Or will the 50 watter still blow? I remember there was some rule for this.

the chain is only as good as it's weakest link. you will blow the 50s.

VOLVO)))

I don't want to replace all 8, goddamn it.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

You can, but you have to fuck with the impedances.

Imagine that the cab is 4 ohm, the drivers are probably wired up like 2 4x12's (or 4x10's, whatever) or some combination, where you have 4 in parallel (for 2 ohms) in series with another 4 in parallel (for 2+2 ohms), or 4 lots of 2 in series ((8+8)/4), what you need to do is have the bigger drivers be either 16 ohm or 4 ohm if you have a 16 ohm in series with an 8 ohm, it gets twice the power, and your cab is now 16+8/4 or 6 ohms, stuff like that. Or do really lop-sided stuff like put the 4 original all in series for 32 ohms, and then have 4 new 8 ohm in series parallel for 8 ohm, so you have 6.4 ohms. Or just bi-amp the cab, the bottom will be the old drivers present an 8 ohm load and handle 200W, the top will be the new drivers, present an 8 ohm load and handle 800W.

Sunn's used to handle 6 ohm loads because of their 6x12's and 6x10's I don't know if the Model T will handle it or not, maybe it was the 2000S that was meant to do it, if you were using solid state it wouldn't be such a problem. Does the T have a slave out?

Do the T into the top part of the 8x10 with the old drivers @ 150W, and slave a power amp into the bottom part that can handle 800.

There's other stuff you can do to keep the impedance even, like wiring it as a 6x10, having the high powers be 4 ohms, and making it two new drivers in series at 8 ohms, in parallel with 4 old drivers in series/parallel @ 8 ohm, the 4 old drivers are what 50's so they can handle 200W in total, and the new drivers will also be able to handle only 200W so you haven't gained anything.

Figure it out, do some math, do a lot of math ;)

The rules, 8 ohm in series with 4 ohm, 8 ohm gets double the power of the 4

8 ohms in parallel with 4 ohm, 4 ohm gets double the power of the 8

VOLVO)))

You couldn't have explained it better.

Adding the extra jack, for the biamp, and completely removing the crossover would be more what I want to do... That way I can end up with 8+8=4 when I run both outs. The 200W cab section won't see the full wattage of the 450W poweramp, it's evenly distributed?

I'll just be easy on it, to save money.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.