Amp Tech Thread / Ask a tech Q

Started by Hemisaurus, February 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Just realised that makes you Cadillac, the US brand that started, in order to copy UK designs (RR) over here ;D

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 09, 2011, 03:24:37 PM
Just realised that makes you Cadillac, the US brand that started, in order to copy UK designs (RR) over here ;D
i didnt realize u were from UK?

justinhedrick

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 09, 2011, 03:28:24 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 09, 2011, 03:24:37 PM
i didnt realize u were from UK?

he's a damn scott.

Hemisaurus

Single T please, and no e in my whisky.

I meant to mention nick, I was reading about the Geloso 292-A amps, 100W from a pair of EL-34's, which is in spec if you read the datasheet, but they were running 1000V plate! 200V over the standard anode spec.

Also you were talking about running a Laney Super and a Dallas? How about building a Laney Klipp style, where Laney built a tube overdrive into the amp itself :)

End of random tech banter, resume your normal programming. :)

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 09, 2011, 03:37:22 PM
Single T please, and no e in my whisky.

I meant to mention nick, I was reading about the Geloso 292-A amps, 100W from a pair of EL-34's, which is in spec if you read the datasheet, but they were running 1000V plate! 200V over the standard anode spec.

Also you were talking about running a Laney Super and a Dallas? How about building a Laney Klipp style, where Laney built a tube overdrive into the amp itself :)

End of random tech banter, resume your normal programming. :)

the klipp uses a differential amp to get that fuzz channel. Its kind of interesting and nice, Sound City has something similar in terms of an early stage differential amp. The B+ on the differential amp is very very low so it clips real easy, then you mix the clipped signal back into the main signal line, and boom OD channel

Could be built

The Stonehenge amp I am building is like a Supergroup which is more or less an SL but mine has some nice tweaks

My reason for a rangemaster + amp is for pure Iommi worship really

Like this shit

Hemisaurus

Clearly not wnorshipping hard enough. You're playing right handed and still have all your fingertips.

Hemisaurus

Just read the dumbest article. An amp builder bought a brand new Orange AD200B, played it and decides he can make it better. So he guts it, new pots, tube sockets, tagboard etc. and then he also replaces the xfmrs. Dude just spent over 2 grand for a chassis, headshell, panel and knobs. WTF was he smoking?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 09, 2011, 11:55:27 PM
Just read the dumbest article. An amp builder bought a brand new Orange AD200B, played it and decides he can make it better. So he guts it, new pots, tube sockets, tagboard etc. and then he also replaces the xfmrs. Dude just spent over 2 grand for a chassis, headshell, panel and knobs. WTF was he smoking?

at that cost why not just fuckin build your own 4xKT88 amp derp derp derp

Ayek

Quote from: dunwichamps on November 09, 2011, 11:58:05 PM

Electric did an overhaul exactly like that. I raise my eyebrow high and wonder why.
http://www.planetoftheamps.com/orange-ad-200-mk3-bassamp.html

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Ayek on November 11, 2011, 04:14:31 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on November 09, 2011, 11:58:05 PM

Electric did an overhaul exactly like that. I raise my eyebrow high and wonder why.
http://www.planetoftheamps.com/orange-ad-200-mk3-bassamp.html

Pretty sure the Electric guy doesn't have the option of just ordering a Matamp like most people could. Pretty sure I know what Jeff would call him if he tried.

Hemisaurus

Pretty sure that was repaired, by MacNeece, for a customer. Pretty sure they kept one of the original xfmrs. Pretty sure the amp was broken.

Ayek

All information regarding that amp was in the link. Said it was sent in for repair... $1500 later and it works good

SpaceTrucker

^no shit, it better spit flames too.

there ya go dunwich, make an amp that spits fucking fire!

Wait, I'm pretty sure they already do.

dunwichamps

I already got a 200W amp coming out soon, 4 x KT88 using some custom trannies.

Hemisaurus

Is not technical >:(

I was on holiday 'til I get an email that someone needs tech help.

Sunn, can we move that to a Dunwich Appreciation thread ;)

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 23, 2011, 05:51:37 PM
Is not technical >:(

I was on holiday 'til I get an email that someone needs tech help.

Sunn, can we move that to a Dunwich Appreciation thread ;)

sorry for the mishief just delete, no need for an appresh thread for me

SoupKitchen

So I'm beginning to source parts for a 200W 4xKT88 amp. What do you amp types recommend for a standby switch? Is there such a thing as a 1000VDC/1A toggle switch? Do I need to go that high? Would your garden variety Carling do the job?

dunwichamps

dont switch the DC switch the AC secondary, then get anything rated for 120V/250V for more than a few amps. Secondary current is small, under an amp

mortlock

i want to run two different 'pedal style' synths w/ fx and a theremin through a dod resistance mixer and into a single amp. can i dump that much current safely through that set up without having problems..??

*serious question..im tech challenged for the most part..

Hemisaurus

I'm not entirely sure what current you are worrying about? The currents involved in instrument output are pretty negligible.

A line level unit is made to drive into about 10KOhms input resistance at about 1V which if you grab Ohm's Law

V=IR
1=R*10,000
R=0.0001 (100 uA)

A guitar is even less it's a few hundred millivolts into a 1MOhm resistance.

Plus you are loading down each output with the resistance mixer, so I wouldn't worry about current.

VOLVO)))

Perhaps you should throw down the basic math behind certain things we deal with, Hemi.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ayek

I think Sunn means the ohms law triangle an such
V
I R
Volts (V) = Current (I) x Resistance (R)
Current (I) = Voltage (V) / Resistance (R)
Resistance (R) = Voltage (V) / Current (I)

You add power (P) to the equation
Power (P) = V x I
P = I2 x R

mortlock

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 01, 2011, 08:43:05 AM
I'm not entirely sure what current you are worrying about? The currents involved in instrument output are pretty negligible.

A line level unit is made to drive into about 10KOhms input resistance at about 1V which if you grab Ohm's Law

V=IR
1=R*10,000
R=0.0001 (100 uA)

A guitar is even less it's a few hundred millivolts into a 1MOhm resistance.

Plus you are loading down each output with the resistance mixer, so I wouldn't worry about current.
ok..maybe current wasnt what i meant..what im trying to say , is having two synths cranked up going through the mixer and into a single amp going to be too much 'juice' or whatever term is correct, for the amp to handle with out having problems..is there a point where too much signal from these devices is too much..?? 

Ayek

Your resistance mixer should effectively limit your juice, should you have too much