What's wrong with my beer?

Started by Lumpy, July 25, 2012, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Bottled beer (Brooklyn Lager and IPA) pours foamy (I didn't shake it, duh) and tastes a little harsh (alcohol seems to be more in your face). It's not past the fresh date. The IPA is rougher than the Lager.

It's from the local deli, and they don't seem too together (very busy reading the bible). I wouldn't be surprised if it was left out in the hot sun, or warm/cool/warm/cool etc, before the sale.

But what is actually wrong with the beer - wha' happen?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

bad fermentation maybe?? it spoiled.

Sam Hain

Excessive foam and sour taste indicate an infected bottle...

mortlock

Lumpy

I wouldn't say it's sour (or maybe I don't get the lingo). More like the alcohol taste is more up-front now, by a lot.

i would like to return it (deli beer is expensive) but the people at the deli are clueless, and I bet they would just stick it back in the cooler for somebody else. I don't think they have a beer distributor, I think they find their beer at swap meets and flea markets. Not exactly, but they pick a lot of their stock up (including all non-Bud type beers) I know this because i've seen them roll up with the mini-van loaded up with supplies. That's why I was guessing hot/cold/hot/cold.

MadJohnShaft

I'm with yah, damaged in handling
Some days chickens, some days feathers

NCR600

Quote from: Sam Hain on July 26, 2012, 12:36:14 AM
Excessive foam and sour taste indicate an infected bottle...

Yep, sounds like a bottle infection to me.

Quote from: Lumpy on July 26, 2012, 03:46:28 AM
I wouldn't say it's sour (or maybe I don't get the lingo). More like the alcohol taste is more up-front now, by a lot.

i would like to return it (deli beer is expensive) but the people at the deli are clueless, and I bet they would just stick it back in the cooler for somebody else. I don't think they have a beer distributor, I think they find their beer at swap meets and flea markets. Not exactly, but they pick a lot of their stock up (including all non-Bud type beers) I know this because i've seen them roll up with the mini-van loaded up with supplies. That's why I was guessing hot/cold/hot/cold.

Find the batch details on the bottle and send them an email. Mishandling normally results in skunky and off flavours, but an infection will be fizzy/overcarbed and kind of bland because the bug will eat the sugars the yeast can't.

One of the local micros here had a series of bottle infections and basically gave anyone who got in touch with them and gave them a batch number a case of beer as recompense. At the very worst, you'll know you've done 'em a favour. At best, you might get free beer!

MadJohnShaft

'uh, I bought this beer and it's broken, can I return these 5 cans?'
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Discö Rice

Could be damaged seal, could be sun strike.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

It's still sitting in my apartment. I'm embarrassed to say I tried 3 bottles (from a six pack) but I was thirsty.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I'm not drinking any more of that, it sucks. I'm just being a pussy about demanding my money back from the Korean bible-reading family who I bought it from. I'm debating returning it to the brewery (which is about 2 miles from where I live). Or just pouring it out. The root of the problem from what I can tell is that the store isn't buying their beer from a distributor, they go to Sams Club or something like that, load it into their wagon, and haul it in themselves. So they can't return it to a distributor for a refund. So they would eat the costs of the skunked beer. I'd rather make the brewery pay for it.

RAGER

What I've found is that if you contact them and in the right language, convey to them that you are a loyal customer that has had an isolated bad experience, don't be surprised when they send you gift certificates for some swag.
No Focus Pocus