Eating outdoors yes or no?

Started by MadJohnShaft, May 10, 2013, 08:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Drinking at an outdoor restaurant patio with some snacks yes, trying to eat a full meal No.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

I,Galactus

Weather permitting, definite yes.  Stoner Rock al fresco.

BBQ, pick-a-nick basket, patio, euro-style street cafe, biergarten, etc.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

NCR600

Given that I live in what is probably the ideal climate for outdoor activities for at least 9 months of the year, I'd have to give it a big "hell yes" for 6 hour multiple course boozy lunching, Mediterranean stylee, but honestly I don't like sharing my food with Mosquitos. Eating outside at night is for savages.

RAGER

It's been so nice we've been dining al fresco quite often.  Lunches and dinners.  We don't usually do this at restaurants though.  Too many people and their stupid kids screaming for moar ranch.  We're bar people.  Less crowded, no kids, better service.  I'm a get to know the bartender kind guy.  It has it's perks.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Here it is always too damned windy - your tortilla chips will blow away and your food will be cold.

Sparkle Motion

My wife made us eat dinner outside last night.  The weather was nice but there were bugs every where and shit kept falling in the food from the tree below.

going to a friend's house for dinner tonight.  I will probably drink a shitload of beers outside.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

black

In the American Southwest, in particular the High Dessert, there are many comfy and picturesque opportunities for al fresco dining, practically year round. No mosquito problems, but places near livestock can have lots of flies.

This place has a great patio for outside munching. Complete with a waterfall and koi pond, the tables are all nestled amongst trees and shrubbery, keeping the exposure to ill-mannered brats at a minimum.

Couldn't find a good picture of the outdoor part, you can see a bit of the waterfall and the lushness in the background. It's one of my favorites in a city that has many of these type of places.

At this place that was once a former railroad hospital and then a nut house, you can drink and dine on the roof (which was the patio for the old nurse's quarters) all fancy-pants, mjs style.

It has killer views of both the mountains to the east and the Rio Grande river and mesas to the west. Sunset city.

My backyard is pretty dope for this type of activity as well.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Lumpy

I don't like eating on the street in a big city, and it surprises me that other people like it... sit out on the sidewalk with traffic, foot traffic etc. Back garden yes, sidewalk noooo...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Lumpy on May 10, 2013, 01:45:38 PM
I don't like eating on the street in a big city, and it surprises me that other people like it... sit out on the sidewalk with traffic, foot traffic etc. Back garden yes, sidewalk noooo...

Foot traffic only; people watching is part of the appeal.  Usually just coffee, lunches, or light meals. Stoner Rockin' Euro Style...
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Chovie D

sums up my feelings as well.
go down to little italy in NYC and eat at that fucking clam joint on the corner  that puts their tables literally IN the NYC gutter. you can watch fish heads, condoms  and used needles float by while you eat your linguini with conch  ;)

I,Galactus

Quote from: Chovie D on May 10, 2013, 02:36:39 PM

sums up my feelings as well.
go down to little italy in NYC and eat at that fucking clam joint on the corner  that puts their tables literally IN the NYC gutter. you can watch fish heads, condoms  and used needles float by while you eat your linguini with conch  ;)

Yeah I'd rather keep my al fresco dining experiences limited to, y'know, regular Italy and avoid it's diminutive off-shoots.   :D

MadJohnShaft

You mean like here, where we dined outside the kick-ass Parthenon?

I fucking rule

JemDooM

haha ;)

we live right next to a huge park so have eaten quite a lot there on big throws on the ground, sometimes we take all sorts of stuff to bbq with loads of salad n stuff, I once cooked an Indian meal with starters and side dishes and we ate that in the park too, its awesome!! Only if its sunny and hot though otherwise definitely no way!
DooM!

deleted account

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 10, 2013, 04:36:04 PM
You mean like here, where we dined outside the kick-ass Parthenon?

I fucking rule

this one time, I ate me some gelato at that there Parthenon fountain.

the answer to your thread question, Shaft, is yes-- but only if you wield the proper focus

khoomeizhi

i say mostly yes. cooking too when possible.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

EGO the Living Planet

When it's good, it's good (like a picnic on a nice day) when is sucks it really sucks (sidewalk in the city, bugs, bad weather, etc.). Unfortunately most chances to eat outside are in the later category.
Merchandise keeps us in line
Common sense says it's by design
What could a businessman ever want more
than to have us sucking in his store

Demon Lung

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 10, 2013, 08:13:56 AM
Drinking at an outdoor restaurant patio with some snacks yes, trying to eat a full meal No.
i agree 100%

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Demon Lung

I don't want any nasty ass flies around my food. Chances are you won see nasty ass flies indoors.

strangelight

eating al fresco in old montreal in the summer is the best. most of the streets in old montreal are cobble stone and pedestrian-only. weather's perfect, food is fucking amazing, a+++.

Adam

Outside....absolutely, just as long its not windy or cold.

I,Galactus

Quote from: EGO the Living Planet on May 10, 2013, 07:41:47 PM
When it's good, it's good (like a picnic on a nice day) when is sucks it really sucks (sidewalk in the city, bugs, bad weather, etc.). Unfortunately most chances to eat outside are in the later category.

I'll concur with this.  There's really no middle ground, mediocre outdoor dining experience.  It's either spectacular or horrible.

mortlock

its great in the summer..cant really do it in the winter..