True detective

Started by RAGER, January 12, 2014, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez

^I agree with everything above.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

boltthrow

You know what I like least about this show?

The opening credit sequence.  It's too slick for the tone of the show.

juggernaut

Quote from: boltthrow on January 21, 2014, 07:59:37 AM
You know what I like least about this show?

The opening credit sequence?  It's too slick for the tone of the show.

I agree.  It doesn't quite match the tone and the feel of the show.

jmucke

I wonder if they will even bother to nominate anybody else besides McConaughey as Best Actor for the Emmys and Golden Globes. Not that I really care about awards but that is a role of a lifetime for him.

MichaelZodiac

My girl and I like this series a whole lot. She really gets the creeps from it.

I agree about the title sequence, the images at least, I like the song though. McConaughey's been doing some serious acting lately and he excels in it, especially in this role.

edit: 13th Floor Elevators in the ending sequence was really cool.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

jmucke

First episode ends with the Black Angels, second with 13th Floor Elevators plus John Lee Hooker and Steve Earle thrown in as well - some nice choices.

RAGER

Great episode.  Like Breaking Bad great.  This is gonna be a big one.  I didn't peg Marty for a cheater but I'm glad cuz she is a little hottie.
No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

Who wouldn't cheat with a chick that hot?

ez

I thought that scene in the station in the first episode made it fairly obvious that he was cheating on his wife. Couldn't tell if it was with the same fine lass as in this week's episode though.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

MichaelZodiac

Yes same girl. Pretty obvious in that first ep.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

RAGER

Thought he was the family man moral high ground type.
No Focus Pocus

ez

He sure thinks he is. That justification about how it helps the marriage was more him trying to convince himself of that than convince Cohle.

I think Cohle is the more moral when when it comes to marriage. He noticed Hart's impropriety in the first episode - thus the altercation in the locker room in the second episode.

Hart wants to be the morally superior man to Cohle, but knows that he actually isn't.

JkFlesh

I just caught up on this and I think it's great.

I'm not sure if Cohle is morally superior, considering his violent past.  I think it's perhaps more that he accepts the lack of moral certitude in his life better than Hart.  Cohle is a great character, very nuanced, unusual and fascinating.  I can't wait to see where this show goes.  The plot is really drawing me in, while at the same time clearly taking a back seat to the dynamics of the characters, which is unusual for this type of show.

And yeah, that chick is absolutely mind-blowingly hot.

ez

I said in terms of Hart's relationship with his wife. The confrontation in the locker room was all about Cohle giving Hart shit for cheating on his wife. It's obvious that Cohle has a lot more respect for women than Hart does.

jmucke

Because of the bloody Superbowl I will have to wait for two weeks for episode 4...well, thanks a lot. Fucking sports.

RAGER

Quote from: jmucke on January 23, 2014, 11:23:36 AM
Because of the bloody Superbowl I will have to wait for two weeks for episode 4...well, thanks a lot. Fucking sports.

Why?

In the previews it looked like there might be some comforting of wifey by Cohle.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I am on episode 1.5? What is with all the smoking already.

Is there a 3 already aired?

Some days chickens, some days feathers

juggernaut

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on January 23, 2014, 08:15:22 PM
I am on episode 1.5? What is with all the smoking already.

Is there a 3 already aired?

No shit.  I'm always craving a smoke after watching this show.   No one smokes quite like him.   It's like his version of oxygen.

MadJohnShaft

That sex scene reminds me of what I get every night.

Ep 1 and 2 done - #3 is Sunday.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

GodShifter

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on January 24, 2014, 04:24:17 PM
That sex scene reminds me of what I get every night.

Ep 1 and 2 done - #3 is Sunday.

You handcuffing a guy to the roll out couch and having your way with him?

/no surprise there

RAGER

^^ Hey nice to see you posting mister.
No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

Man, that's how you end an episode!  Seeing that dude walking down the road in tighty whiteys and wearing some kind of gas mask was creepy as shit.

I'm looking forward to the next episode more than I'm looking forward to the Super Bowl.  Two weeks is gonna be tough. 

jmucke

You forgot the machete. Great end scene indeed.