UK comedy

Started by Dunedin, May 07, 2012, 05:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunedin

Ok, hit me with your favourite UK comedy. Could be sitcom, sketch, quiz I don't care, I'm not fussy.

Here's a few of mine,

Father Ted

I'm Alan Partridge

Peepshow

The Mighty Boosh

The IT Crowd

Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

Baltar

Python.  I know, I know current show.  Uhm, World Service? 
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Worthless Willie

Man, Peep Show is friggin' great.  I'm about halfway through, and I love every minute of that shit.

Also, just started checking out Spaced.  I like what I've seen so far.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

neighbor664

Caught a few episodes of Spaced. Funny. Also, though the US version is bit of a downer, the UK Shameless is hilarious.

Dunedin

Jazzed up the OP with a few clips. Enjoy!

Volume

The Fast Show was great.

RageofKlugman

Yep, the Fast Show was cool, but I think my favourite British TV comedy would have to be Blackadder.

Dunedin

Quote from: RageofKlugman on May 17, 2012, 06:26:00 AM
Yep, the Fast Show was cool, but I think my favourite British TV comedy would have to be Blackadder.

Blackadder had a lot going for it, I never felt like it lost its steam, even through four series. The writing was just as good at the end as it was at the start of series 1.

Incidentally I had a friend at school who's surname was Blackadder. Anyone care to hazard a guess what his school days were like?

mortlock

benny hill was the king..

mertzy

RageofKlugman

QuoteYep, the Fast Show was cool, but I think my favourite British TV comedy would have to be Blackadder.

Blackadder had a lot going for it, I never felt like it lost its steam, even through four series. The writing was just as good at the end as it was at the start of series 1.

Incidentally I had a friend at school who's surname was Blackadder. Anyone care to hazard a guess what his school days were like?

I've never been a massive fan of the first series of Blackadder; it's bit different in tone from the later ones. I have a feeling it was written by Richard Curtis on his own and Ben Elton was subsequently drafted in as a co-writer for the remaining three series.

eugenicscum

^ That's exactly what happened.

Some of my other favourites:

Red Dwarf
Not the Nine O clock news
Fawlty Towers
Britta's Empire
Coupling
Saxondale
That Mitchell & Webb Look
The Thin Blue Line

etc

Dunedin

Mitchell and Webb do some excellent spoofs. Here's one of Sky TV sports coverage,

Saxondale is an excellent gentle character comedy; ageing roadie turned pest controller, it's much more about Steve Coogan making Saxondale a completely believable character, which I think he does.

Dunedin

The Mary Whitehouse Experience did these excellent spoofs of stuffy academic programs. enjoy!

strangelight

bumpppp.

i don't usually like UK comedy. because it isn't funny. *waits to get yelled at*

but i just finished the first three seasons of misfits and it made me laugh a lot.

plus it's got the dude who plays ramsay snow from GOT in it.

ez

first two seasons of Misfits were great. after that it went downhill fast.

I'll second

Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Spaced
Red Dwarf

and will add

The Inbetweeners
Extras
League of Gentlemen
The Office
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

strangelight

i enjoyed season 3, but it definitely wasn't as good as previous seasons. the rudy character was pretty shit and the ability to switch powers to whatever you wanted was a huge cop-out.

ez

whatever you do, don't watch season 4.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

strangelight

my friend said season 4 was his favourite. i'm about halfway through and i like it. not sure i'd say it was my favourite, but it doesn't seem like a huge drop-off either.

bitter

Misfits was really cool initially, then fell apart once cast members started bailing. The story also ceased to make any sense when their powers started switching up. The big-titted girl that played Kelly was also filthy. Too bad she got arrested for racial assault and left the show before showing them.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

strangelight

season 1 and 2 were great. season 3 had a lot of WTF and "well that's convenient" moments, but i stuck with it. season 4 just feels like a different tv show. the power swapping thing really did this show in, in addition to losing the entire original cast. i'm not sure, but i heard even the guy that plays rudy isn't gonna be in season 5. so why bother?

ez

TBH I only watched the first two episodes of Season 4 before giving up on it entirely.

Jackvpuj

Newbie report it. Enable Signature with it

alfie

Are you morbid?

Dunedin

Quote from: strangelight on June 26, 2013, 09:21:54 PM
bumpppp.

i don't usually like UK comedy. because it isn't funny. *waits to get yelled at*

Strangelight, why would I yell at you when I can simply "put you in the comfy chair"?