Cilantro

Started by The Shocker, March 23, 2012, 06:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

I can't stand it - it tastes like perfume to me.  I was not a fan when it became the new fad ingredient in dishes.  Thank God that seems to have died down.  So anybody else have problems with it?

RAGER

I fucking love cilantro.  Probably eat at least a bunch a week.
No Focus Pocus

bitter

I'm used to it in salsa's and whatnot, so I may be missing its true flavor. It tastes good from what I can tell.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

El Zombre

Love it! I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you can train yourself to dissociate the cilantro taste from soap/perfume to good-to-eat by mixing in small amounts of it and gradually increasing the dose. Whether or not that's worthwhile, shurg.

rayinreverse

Cilantro used to be really soapy to me,but I'm fine with it now.

deleted account

it's good in certain salsas but get it the fuck away from my guacamole

RAGER

i almost always put it in my guacamole.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

There was some 'taste expert' on my local NPR station this week (she's got a new book out) - boring interview but she said that some people have an intense reaction to cilantro that's based on their taste buds - they can't stand it. More than just a personal preference, there is something special about cilantro that they can't tolerate it.

Personally, I love it. I don't get any perfumey notes, just an intense "raw green" flavor. Or something.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Perfumey things to me are too much ginger and just aboot any lavender although there is local company that makes an ice cream sandwich that is honey lavender ice cream and and lemon cookie that I will fight you for. ;)

Edit- forgot to add the link

http://www.rubyjewel.net/honeylavendar.php
No Focus Pocus

bitter

^ that appears to be a bangin' combination.

mertz

I love it! I use it in a lot of my dishes. I nearly grew up on that stuff (cause I'm Hispanic).

neighbor664

Cilantro is great! I've been enjoying snacking some cilantro pesto spread on bolani lately.
It's seeds (coriander) not so much, though I do like it in some Belgian beers

Metal and Beer

Love it....I get more of a gasoline-y vibe from the flavor, but yeah bring it awn !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

peoplething

Stuff is gross. I get a gas/aluminum taste from it that ruins everything. I did get a bunch from our csa last year and that wasn't bad if I used it really sparingly as a garnish on soup or pasta.

but for the most part - blech.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

DavidATX

I never put in my guacamole but sometimes I put it in my salsa.

neighbor664

Quote from: priest on March 23, 2012, 08:12:56 PM
it's good in certain salsas but get it the fuck away from my guacamole

As much as I do like cilantro, I have to agree with Priest. After all, he makes some of the best guacamole I've tasted.

khoomeizhi

cilantro rules. coriander too.

re: lavender, my wife makes some cornmeal-lavender cookies that are truly badass. i had an negative association with the smell of lavender for a while, since we used lavender oil in an ice-water bath a lot when i burned the fuck out of my hand 10 years ago or so...but i seem to be getting over it.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

Grow as much as possible in the garden. I harvest the coriander seeds and replant and use for cooking in everything.

Try something new called Culantro or Raceo - it's hard to grow apparently, i bougth some seeds online this last week to give it a try -  our local Jewel garden center is stocked by a Puerto Rican man so they carry the plants but I've never seen them elsewhere.

It's a citrusy cilantro - with flat leaves. Popular in puerto Rican Sofrtitas.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Shocker

Quote from: Lumpy on March 23, 2012, 08:17:36 PM
There was some 'taste expert' on my local NPR station this week (she's got a new book out) - boring interview but she said that some people have an intense reaction to cilantro that's based on their taste buds - they can't stand it. More than just a personal preference, there is something special about cilantro that they can't tolerate it.

That is me.  The funny thing is I'm also one of those people that habanero peppers don't affect.

bitter

Quote from: khoomeizhi on March 24, 2012, 05:38:28 AM

re: lavender, my wife makes some cornmeal-lavender cookies that are truly badass. i had an negative association with the smell of lavender for a while, since we used lavender oil in an ice-water bath a lot when i burned the fuck out of my hand 10 years ago or so...but i seem to be getting over it.

I have a similar association with lavender shampoo. I wont even buy it anymore. Had an Agriculture class when I was younger and we had to wash up some chickens to take to the fair. I hated those damn birds. The smell of filthy chickens mixed with lavender shampoo is enough to make me gag  :-X 

GodShifter

Personally, I love cilantro.

My favorite thing is to incorporate it with the 'street tacos' my mother-in-law makes. They're simple and well known: chopped flat steak, grilled onions, lime, and cilantro. Then I like to put some homemade salsa on them. Without the cilantro, I don't think they'd be half as good.

RAGER

^^that right there is a thing of beauty 'cept I prefer fresh diced onions
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

its my favorite herb right behind marijuana..

libertycaps

Every time i go to the store, i always pick up a bunch or two of fresh cilantro. I don't even bother to put it on the list anymore. It's automatic now. Makes any Asian or Hispanic dish better.