TV chefs?

Started by MadJohnShaft, May 05, 2012, 04:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

I  really like Herbert Keller whenever he's on - his recipes are perfect and I always agree with his technique. He does all the classics.

I like Jaque Pepin's show, he has a lot of good knife techniques and other excellent ways of doing things that he shares.

Just about every episode of Good Eats has valuable info that solves problems I didn't know were solvable, and I use a lot of his preparation and storage advice - I love Alton Brown.

I like America's test kitchen and use the magazine and show to learn better ways of doing things - I like Chris Kimball a lot.

And I like Nadia G's dumb jokes and hot bod...

I almost never get anything useful from Bayless - not sure why...Giadia has nice tits but her ingredients only come from plastic bags and gross me out.  The rest of them never brown things, never deglaze pans, do something I think is wrong -  or use too many prepared foods for me.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

rayinreverse

Food network should change its name to Ridiculous Fight network,because every fucking show us either a battle, a competition,or a fight. It's retarded.
Mr pepin has always been great. Alton Brown is enjoyable once you get passed his annoying qualities. And I've never made something where I followed his instruction that has sucked.
I think Rick Bayless had some gems. He also cooks a style of food I particulary enjoy.

MadJohnShaft

Bayless's titsie daughter is a hottie...he's making two 3 foot long fish covered in Adobo sauce.  I probably won't do that. 

I ate at his sandwhich place in Skokie and the one in Ohare, both looked good but the food took strangely long to be prepared - like they didn't now what they were doing and He two places always get mediocre reviews.

We have the second Food TV channel called Cook TV, that's where all the chefs are now.

Lumpy

My favorite was Mario Batali, when I was leeching the Food Network off a leftover unscrambled cable. His food looked awesome and you learned something about Italy every show. The rustic style appeals to me - just chop it up rough - I'm not that fussy. How do you know when it's done? By checking, not by using a stopwatch (ahem, Alton Brown).

Alton Brown is alright, but IMO anybody who says that there's only one best way to prepare something (7 minutes exactly!!) is full of shit. Plus, he has horrible skits :(

Sucks: Bobby Flay. Uses obscure, elitist ingredients (swordfish in a macadamia nut crust, anything with duck confit, etc). Punch in the nose. He's irritating, on top of it.

Rachel Ray: makes me feel stupid for watching. YUMM-O. Actually, I have cooked before, Rachel. But thanks for walking me through how to core an apple.

Emeril: semi-elitist food, and not nearly as charming as he thinks he is. Buffalo chili with basil creme freche. Shut up. I don't need to spend an extra 30 minutes and 15 dollars on a "kicked-up chili"
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

^^ what year were you watching?? I don;t watch a lot of tv but...

jamie oliver

tyler florence

giada

even though ina garten is a cow there's some good ideas there.  kinda like martha.
No Focus Pocus

mertz

I love Ina Garton! The last time I went to Europe I watched a lot of Giada before I left for my trip.
I find Rachel Ray annoying.

RAGER

^^ why is jeffry always out of town hmmmm?
No Focus Pocus

mertz

Ha! Im always wondering the same thing!

bitter

I generally like to categorize tv chefs as like/hate/wanna bone.

Bone:

Rachael Ray
Giada (she's got a big fuckin' head for such a tiny body)
Christina Pirello
... But Tina Nordström is the hottest of all.

Like:

Those 2 blond ladies from America's test kitchen
Alton brown - What a nerd
Hubert Keller
Lidia Bastianich
Jacques Pépin - especially when he gets frustrated with Julia Child  :D 
Martin Yan
Ming Tsai - especially when he's struggling with chef Morimoto

Also this guy is a major prick. Not unlike MJS  ;)

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on May 05, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
^^ what year were you watching??

I guess early to mid 2000's. Mario Batali's not on anymore? Or they gave him some stupid 'tour' show where he rides around with Gwynneth Paltrow.

MadJohnShaft

You have a TV Chef time machine? None of those people are on the air.

Down home with the Neelies, Paula Dean are horrible.  Those weird oudoor Scandinavian cooking shows are entertaining for their militant foreignness and watching someone cook in the cold.

A couple of the high end chef have shows - like Todd English and fussy Chicagoan Charlie Trotter, not too bad to watch.

Bourdain does good showing street food and the worlds old grandmas making local family meal classics.

Missing is a show that is sufficiently tied to the direct production of food for me - some clever person could put together something that covers what to do with the massive onslaught of single items from a garden, farmers market, or CSA.

'here's what the fuck to do with two pounds of mustard greens and nine yellow beets and a pork steak'

Lumpy

What about that old Cajun guy who looked like Colonel Sanders, with the ON-YONS etc... he still on the air? What about Two Fat Ladies? All the recipes had a stick of butter (even the beverages). Is the Frugal Gourmet still on the air?

MadJohnShaft

Dead, dead, alleged child molester in prison.

Julia Child, Graham Kerr??

mertz

The two fat ladies are dead!? Damn! I loved them! Really?

bitter

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 06, 2012, 05:53:55 AM
Those weird oudoor Scandinavian cooking shows are entertaining for their militant foreignness and watching someone cook in the cold.

Militant foreignness? You're absurd  :D

Todd English always looks like he's been hitting the sauce and muscle relaxers pretty hard.

Oh look! he's nodded off shhh....

deleted account

Man vs. Food.  is that still on?  does that count?

MadJohnShaft

That female Guy Fierri is slightly worse than Guy Fierri

bitter

Also, Guy Fierri looks like the world's last LIT and Smash mouth fan

RAGER

No Focus Pocus