need a TV series to watch

Started by retardgroove, February 24, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmucke

Quote from: sleestak on September 20, 2021, 10:34:02 AM
I'm onto Reservation Dogs.   It's fun with a unique unfamiliar backdrop.

Def. the best TV-series right now. Too bad its already over.

whoshotthefrog

Curb Your Enthusiasm is back in a few weeks.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

sleestak

Foundation on appletv+ is cool.   Seems like a HUGE budget but the concepts are intriguing.  Not sure how close they are sticking to the Asimov source material but imo kinda unique sci-fi premise.   So far seems kinda like the boys, mixed with Star Wars mixed with game of thrones.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

renfield

jmucke

Quote from: sleestak on September 30, 2021, 09:03:01 PM
Foundation on appletv+ is cool.   Seems like a HUGE budget but the concepts are intriguing.  Not sure how close they are sticking to the Asimov source material but imo kinda unique sci-fi premise.   So far seems kinda like the boys, mixed with Star Wars mixed with game of thrones.
I am only familiar with the first book but one thing they sure changed for the TV-series is the introduction of female characters - something Asimov didn't really bother with. After three episodes its looks like an entertaining  but not great sf-saga - with impressive production values.

sleestak

Dang I still have only seen one episode.  I'll probably stick it out to the end though.

socket

Changed tune on Lasso. Not sure why but I just was NOT interested after the first ep or two. Pretty good first season.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

New episode if Lasso tonight.

Just finished season 4 of Goliath. Really good.
No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

I just watched the first season of Falling Rain, started the second.

Damn, that first season was really fucking good.  I don't find many series that I genuinely like. Falling Rain is an extremely cerebral, mind-bending science fiction.  It's not the best series I've ever seen, and I am a bit surprised that it doesn't get more love.  It's kind of in the same vein as The OA, though without the same cool stylistic flare and unhinged gonzo-ness.   It is still weird, extremely weird and a bit cheesy, which means time could gift it a cult-ish circle of fans and a campy appeal.

It's a shame that the second season, which apparently has different writers, directors and producers, is way more straightforward and ultimately shallow, it just doubles down on the mystery/thriller/horror aspects and tones back on the far out brain freakery.  And it got canceled after the second season, for good reason I'd say.  There are continuity errors which are obviously deliberate choices, and many of the appealing aspects from the first season are sorely misused or not even revisited.  The first season had creativity, vision and direction, plus it builds upon itself really dynamically, which in turn creates the abundant sense of mystique and tension; the second one, it often feels like they're both winging and milking it.

Still, the first season is fabulous, too bad they even made a second one, it could have easily stood alone.  It's not unflawed, and the first season doesn't resolve a lot of little plot arcs.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

mortlock

ive been totally addicted to the last kingdom.

nothing more.

RAGER

Midnight Mass wasn't half bad although some parts kinda drag a bit but it's a miniseries.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Quote from: mortlock on October 31, 2021, 09:32:51 PM

nothing more.
I recall enjoying it more than I did Vikings.

mortlock

Quote from: neighbor664 on November 10, 2021, 01:17:43 PM
Quote from: mortlock on October 31, 2021, 09:32:51 PM

nothing more.
I recall enjoying it more than I did Vikings.
there is a season 5 coming next year and a full length movie called seven kings must die.

mortlock

i just watched MAID. its pretty good. better than i expected it to be.

Dylan Thomas

I watched the first episode of that Wheel of Time show.  It was okay, entertaining enough.  I'm not familiar with the novel series.

I see that they did a live action Cowboy Bebop.....sigh.  I'm going to check it out at some point, and be plenty ready to be disappointed.  I have a feeling that it'll be on par with the latest Dune - excellent with the visual aesthetics, yet short on the richer substance found more abundantly at the source.

Dylan Thomas

^ Above about the live action Bebop is totally accurate.  It looks great, it's okay, it's fun.  They don't do as great a job with the characters or the subtleties found in the original.  The casting is pretty good.  I've watched two episodes, they're.....fine, though I'm not like chomping at the bit to watch the next one.

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on November 17, 2021, 09:07:15 PM
i just watched MAID. its pretty good. better than i expected it to be.

Did your girl rope you into watching this or are you a softy romantic like me?  We watched it and I balled my eyes out a few times although I wanted to strangle her mom.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i dig shows like this as long as they dont get too soapy. there was strong character development. i wish danille stuck around longer.

RAGER

"The shrink next door" is getting interesting. It's on Apple TV.
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

I watched the first episode.   Dug it but I read it's based on a true story so honestly it takes away from the humor to me.

RAGER

Interesting.

I don't find any humor in it really. Since it's about a manipulative predator taking taking over a mans life.
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

I guess I just assumed it would be dark comedy but it's mostly drama which is fine but I guess I presumed because the main players are usually in comedy stuff. 

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: RAGER on November 27, 2021, 09:28:41 AM
Interesting.

I don't find any humor in it really. Since it's about a manipulative predator taking taking over a mans life.

Yeah, I hear you and don't find humor in it either.  That's real, and this happens all too often in real life.  Our mental health system is ripe with abuse and rights violations.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus