Blade Runner 2049

Started by Token, December 19, 2016, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amadkins

Hope they don't "Crystal Skull" this one.

Token

EaterofBirds

Originally I was one of those that never wanted anything done to this film/original. No sequel, prequel series nonsense.

With Villenueve on hand, I gave it the benefit of the doubt as he was slowly growing into one of my favorite visionary directors of the modern cinema.

Then this happened and I cannot be more giddy for this film.

Dark Tower, not so much, and I loved the books.

jmucke

Saw it today and thought it was fucking great (I know I sound like a paid poster). The idea of a Blade Runner-sequel felt like a bad joke at first but I too thought that Villeneuve might actually pull this off. And he did.

I will not go into details but more or less everything is excellent, The cinematography, production design, sound and effects are flawless, the story is not great but good enough to make this an interesting continuation of the first movie. Casting and acting are fine. Overall its a cool balance of old and new. Villeneuve made some of the bestlooking movies of the last few years and he manages to add new textures to the look while staying faithful to the original.

A big screen is highly recommend. I saw it in 2D and see no need to watch in 3D.

ArmandoTi

I'm glad you like it! Can't wait to see it myself. I'm going to have to wait until next week sadly, as I promised a friend I'll wait for him to come back from his business trip so we can go together.

Dave J

I think I liked it better than the first one. I recently watched the first one with my son and it didn't hold up as well as I remembered it. This new one is very well done and I enjoyed every minute of it.

There may be some holes in the plot, and the move left some questions unresolved (I won't mention any details so there are no spoilers), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

EaterofBirds

Quote from: Dave J on October 08, 2017, 12:43:34 PM
I think I liked it better than the first one. I recently watched the first one with my son and it didn't hold up as well as I remembered it. This new one is very well done and I enjoyed every minute of it.

There may be some holes in the plot, and the move left some questions unresolved (I won't mention any details so there are no spoilers), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm just the opposite. Was/does remain as one of my favorites of all time, own the box set with the FC, etc etc...but over the years was watching it less and less. Hadn't watched it in it's entirety in probably 8 years or so, so with the new one my GF needed a refresher, so bottle of scotch, two glasses, lights out, home theater louder than it needed to be...both were totally engrossed (for me probably the 25th time) to a film just so ahead of times in directorial skill level, lighting, mood, and ultimately a masterful story.

Just went and saw the latest...and well, aside from being in a theater where I had to keep an eye on some uni-bomber looking guy talking to himself and showing some very off anti-social behavior in the lobby before and after the film...I came away a bit disappointed.

Maybe it was the unsettling distraction that never allowed me to become fully "sucked in" to the film, or maybe it was the theater that decided "bigger was better" in pure volume. The theaters speakers actually bottomed out at least a half dozen times. Maybe it was the overused symbolism, borrowed from the original that got to the point of eye rolling...even the cinematography wasn't as "clean" as I thought it might be from the trailers. Had that neo-noir feel only to be erased by a hazy look, that was intentional I believe because of the post apocalyptic air quality, etc, etc.

I just think it unnecessarily slogged on in scenes that took away from any level of tension or buildup. I'm thinking this is the Scott influence, as he is listed as EP. I'm at the point that I want him as far away from any film I'm watching as possible. This was very un-Villeneuve from beginning to end. Looks good, but a little hollow.

I've already decided I need to sit with it again, and see if it comes together better the second time around, and will while it's still in the theater...An "okay" Villenueve is still light years better than most these days.

The virtual reality stuff was not only immediately tiresome but sucked the life out of, what could have been, a lot of well done scenes. I wanted it to stop from the get-go and became more of an integral part of the film as it went on.

Ridley Fucking Scott needs to stop. The film is looong...a true bladder test.

Jor el

Looked good and sounded good.

Made me asleepy.

What Would Scooby Do ?

Dylan Thomas

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was pretty good, far exceeded my expectations.

As much as the original?  No, not even close.  That's my second favorite movie of all time, this wouldn't even rank in the top 100.  Still, a noble effort and rare worthy sequel, in my eyes at least.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

renfield

This unseated FURY ROAD for me. Movie of the decade.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

GeeZa

Yeah I'm an original Blade Runner nut too and thought this one did the original justice. It managed to expand on many of the themes in interesting ways and brought with it an utterly stunning visual spectacle. Almost every frame could be a giant dorm-room poster. Impressed.