Can't help yourself movies

Started by The Bandit, January 02, 2013, 10:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bandit

BTW, anybody notice that Texas Chainsaw 3D was number 1 at the box office?  Will be real interesting to see what direction the sequel goes as:

[spoiler]having the final girl be responsible for Leatherface's care & making him the "good" guy kinda paints it into a corner. [/spoiler]

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

The Shocker

Yeah, in case anyone is planning on seeing it besides me.

mortlock

am i the only one here who masturbates to cannibal holocost..fuckin greatest movie ever..

The Bandit

I don't jack off to it, but I like it.

Double bill with Cannibal Ferox.

GodShifter

Cannibal Holocaust is next up in my Netflix queue. I've seen it probably x 10 times; it's one of my favorites! (I hate the turtle scene, though).

bitter

I just IMDB'd that shit. Y'all are fucked up.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

boltthrow

I watched CH again last week.  Hadn't seen it in 10 years and I remember the ending completely differently.  I didn't think much of it the first time nor this time but for different reasons.

GodShifter

It's by no means a perfect movie or even fine cinema for that matter, but it has a certain warped charm to it, IMO.

Care to share your thoughts on why you dislike it, bolt?

The Bandit

Certainly before its time with the "lost footage" concept. 

boltthrow

The first time I thought it was cheesy but okay and sorta fun to watch (if only to see if I could "take the horror!") 

The second time I thought it was just too brutal. 

My love for gore has diminished over time and I don't like even feigned human suffering and rape.  The real killing of animals just kind of hurts my heart a little because it makes me miss Minnie.

The really weird thing was the first time I thought it had this long protracted ending which depressed the shit out of me and really kind of haunted me (like when I recently watched Irreversible).   

But the second time it's over in about a minute and seemed somewhat tame.  Weird.  I know I wasn't thinking of some other movie.     

The Bandit

Irreversible is a tough watch and not just because of the camera work.

boltthrow

I only made it through the first four scenes.  That was enough for me.  The camerawork, the music, the descent into the gay club, was genuinely overwhelming (though I thought the death-by-fire-extinguisher to be a bit fake-y, I found the mood generated by the setup and those scenes to be uniquely unsettling).

The Bandit

Quote from: boltthrow on January 17, 2013, 07:25:52 PM
I only made it through the first four scenes.  That was enough for me.  The camerawork, the music, the descent into the gay club, was genuinely overwhelming (though I thought the death-by-fire-extinguisher to be a bit fake-y, I found the mood generated by the setup and those scenes to be uniquely unsettling).

You missed the 10 min anal rape of Monica Bellucci then.

And no, it wasn't enjoyable.  

Even to me.

agent of change

After a few minutes of that camera work I just didn't care anymore to keep watching. Kinda like that movie shot from behind the guy's eyes who is doing weird drugs and walking around Tokyo or something. Zzzzzzzzz...

Edit: btw I can't believe that nobody jumped on Bolt's can't-help-yourself being "Cocktail." Sheesh. Are y'all faltering in your BAMs?
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

boltthrow

This is a kinder, gentler forum. 

agent of change

Quote from: boltthrow on January 20, 2013, 09:48:32 AM
This is a kinder, gentler forum. 

Then I shall retreat here more often...

We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

deleted account

Untamed Heart.  I cry in several spots during that one every time.  played it on On Demand the other nite thinking I could fall asleep to it like with Uncle Buck or The Brothers McMullen.  nope.  watched to the end at 3am

ez

Quote from: boltthrow on January 17, 2013, 11:04:52 AM
My love for gore has diminished over time and I don't like even feigned human suffering and rape.

This. I can't do the whole Cannibal Holocaust/Men Behind The Sun/Philosophy Of A Knife/etc. shit any more. I've had Martyrs for ages now and can't bring myself to watch it, or even other such stuff that is widely considered good cinema, like I Saw The Devil.

That being said,  gore is still totally ok if it's campy and/or humorous.

back on topic, I have a retardedly high tolerance for rom-coms, which is probably my biggest character flaw now that I think about it.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

boltthrow

I Saw The Devil is gory but okay. 

It's the stuff that seems to positively relish in suffering that I don't like.

peoplething

Quote from: boltthrow on February 06, 2013, 07:45:26 AM

It's the stuff that seems to positively relish in suffering that I don't like.

agreed.

I love me some cheesy schlock monster gore. But the whole 'torture characters for hours of enjoyment' is not fun to watch for me.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

boltthrow

If I wanted that, I'd get re-married.

BAAAAM!!

Dunedin

Up.

Watched it twice over the Xmas holidays and could watch it again right now.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

The Bandit

Yeah, but Up is good.  Dug rocks!

Dunedin

Lemur Demands Back Scratches!