Boardwalk Empire

Started by Pure Rock Casey, December 08, 2010, 05:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pure Rock Casey

Just watched what I assume was the last ep for the series (ep 12)

Fucking great show. So many great characters. Love the whole period politics mixed with 1920s gangster vibe.

Bring on series 2

The Shocker

I like it, but Steve Buscemi still doesn't instill fear in me.  Hard to believe he's in power being as wimpy as he is.

whoshotthefrog

Michael Shannon who playes Nelson Van Alden deserves some kind of acting award for his performance this season. He was absolutely amazing.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

black_out

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on December 09, 2010, 08:49:40 AM
Michael Shannon who playes Nelson Van Alden deserves some kind of acting award for his performance this season. He was absolutely amazing.

I agree, but I'm still waiting for that prick to die a horrible death. It's really the only reason I watched the whole season.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Dave J

I love this show and watched it religiously.  In response to deaner33, I don't think Steve Buscemi's character is supposed to instill fear in you.  He is developed from a real historic person, and I think he got to power through means other than instilling fear.  He just happen to take advantage of prohibition to make money.  Only then did he start getting tied up with "ganster" types.

As for Michael Shannon, he definitely is giving an amazing performance.  [Name dropping follows:] I dated his sister many many years ago, when he was just finishing up high school I believe, and he was very talented and gifted.  I am glad he is going far.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

The Shocker

Quote from: Dave J on January 06, 2011, 12:57:35 AM
I love this show and watched it religiously.  In response to deaner33, I don't think Steve Buscemi's character is supposed to instill fear in you.  He is developed from a real historic person, and I think he got to power through means other than instilling fear.  He just happen to take advantage of prohibition to make money.  Only then did he start getting tied up with "ganster" types.

As for Michael Shannon, he definitely is giving an amazing performance.  [Name dropping follows:] I dated his sister many many years ago, when he was just finishing up high school I believe, and he was very talented and gifted.  I am glad he is going far.

You ever seen that movie Shotgun Stories (or something like that) with Michael Shannon in it?  It's pretty good.

Dave J

Deaner, I never saw Shotgun Stories, but will look it up. I bet after this Boardwalk Empire we will see a lot more of Michael.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

whoshotthefrog

I found this pic of Paz De la Huerta. She had no problem showing off her body throught the season, and i damn glad she did.

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

The Shocker

I couldn't tell in the show if she had implants or not - sometimes it looked like she did, but in your picture they look natural.  Her face is really weird though. 

strangelight

finally started watching this show. i know, i'm way behind.

anyway, paz de la huerta has a hot body and a mushy face. for some reason that makes me like her more. she seems like she'd let you poop on her.

and i agree with deaner... i just don't buy buscemi in this role. he's a great actor but this is just really miscast. i keep watching anyway, but sometimes it's hard to get past it. not only does he not instill the fear of a gangster, he also doesn't have the charisma of a successful politician. his "moving" political speeches never move me.

i think the dude that plays richard harrow, the sniper with half a face, is pretty fucking amazing, though.

juggernaut

Quote from: strangelight on February 23, 2013, 02:53:26 PM
finally started watching this show. i know, i'm way behind.

anyway, paz de la huerta has a hot body and a mushy face. for some reason that makes me like her more. she seems like she'd let you poop on her.

and i agree with deaner... i just don't buy buscemi in this role. he's a great actor but this is just really miscast. i keep watching anyway, but sometimes it's hard to get past it. not only does he not instill the fear of a gangster, he also doesn't have the charisma of a successful politician. his "moving" political speeches never move me.

i think the dude that plays richard harrow, the sniper with half a face, is pretty fucking amazing, though.

Harrow is hands down the best character on that show.  He just gets more bad ass as the seasons progress.

deleted account

got Season 5, 6 episodes in.  they're droppin' like flies!

black

Just started to re-watch the first episode (don't have free access to the other seasons). Maybe I should spring for the series as I dig it a lot.

Unlike deaner and Mrs.YoStix, I think Steve Buscemi is perfect for and in the role.
I like my evil gang leaders/corrupt politicians ugly and real. No glamour pusses.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

his casting (and portrayal) is perfect, and at the end it all makes sense.

I highly recommend getting the DVDs.  great commentary and extras.  can't wait to binge the entire series once I repo seasons 1 & 2!

black

Upon reading your last post, priest, Amazon Smile just got a few more clams from me (and a donation automatically to the charity (animal rescue) of my choice. amazon smile is the way to go).
Thanks for your suggestion!
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

damn!  them shits are DIRT cheap over there!  Mad Men and Breaking Bad, here I come

juan11

Quote from: black on February 19, 2015, 11:10:35 AM
Just started to re-watch the first episode (don't have free access to the other seasons). Maybe I should spring for the series as I dig it a lot.

Unlike deaner and Mrs.YoStix, I think Steve Buscemi is perfect for and in the role.
I like my evil gang leaders/corrupt politicians ugly and real. No glamour pusses.

I agree about Buscemi. As much as I could also see it played by a tougher dude, he works also, totally.

It's all on one of the streaming services. I finished it a couple of months ago. Fucking raddest thing ever. (Among others, but still.)
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best