Martinis?

Started by neighbor664, May 06, 2012, 03:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

Ever partake? Shaken, not stirred? Vodka or Gin? Dirty? Dry?

neighbor664

MadJohnShaft

Oh yeah.... 1000's

Right now, I keep a Bombay Sapphire in the freezer, and a jar of big fat olives with pimentos. No flavored olives in a drink.  I don't like Tanqueray at all.  The fancy and small batch Gins have way too much flavoring for me, I've tried a few and never been happy.  Local distillery FEW makes a gin I am scared to try.

I try all the white Vermouth brands but truthfully they don't seem any different to me (it's the best cooking wine so a big bottle on the counter is useful).   I switch between Cinzano, Noilly Prat and Martini and Rossi.   Gallo if I have to buy it at a crappy store.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and water then dump it out into an empty martini glass and let sit on counter to chill.  Mix 2-3 shots frozen gin and half to one shot of Vermouth into the now empty very cold cocktail shaker with a handful of new ice and shake the shit out it briefly. I like to make tiny flakes of ice chip off that will make it into the glass.

Empty ice out of glass, strain cocktail into glass. Figure out how to remove cocktail shaker frozen to your hand.  Add two olives and enjoy.

If you get the mix right the first couple sips are indistinguishable from water and the most amazing sensation ever.

Three bad martinis - vodka, warm or dirty. When martinis were 'in' a few years ago, I was happy cause you could get a good one most places.   And they would use Gin by default instead of asking if you want it.

When they have open bars at events and weddings and shit like that, that's the time to let the bartender make his specialty Pomagranite watermelon sour apple whatever - those are great party drinks when a real martini would be too much. And not girly at all.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

I,Galactus

The Martini is one part dry vermouth, five parts gin, stirred with ice, and the greatest cocktail of all time.

I, too, vastly prefer Bombay Sapphire to Tanqueray but I opt for Hendrick's every so often.

No dirt, no stuffed olives, no shaking, and most of all NO FUCKING VODKA.

/purist
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

I'll have to admit ignorance to the Martini but I do love gin.  have had many vodka martinis but it's been years since a gin martini.  i need to do this soon but in my area there are literally hundreds of craft breweries that keep my interested and don;t say beer is too filling.  much of what I've been drinking is in a snifter or tulip and is upwards of 10%.

this is how I drink gin and tonics.  I order one and slam it at the bar and order a second.  slam that one and pay for all three as the bartender makes the third which I casually walk away with to sip on. :)
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

or how about the famous meat juice meatini??
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

James1214

I was going to a bar for a while that specialized in doing cocktails in their earliest iterations and recipes, and i had the best martini of my life there and it was as follows

chilled glass
extra dry vermouth poured into glass and sloshed around to coat sides then poured out
one dash of orange bitters
an olive

topped off with no.209 gin straight outta the freezer, no stirring, no shaking

'twas tits
words

black

Big fan. Always have some B-bay Sapphire and a fancy pants vodka in the freezer. Like em dry and with a twist.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

yeezuz

i hate gin but could use a new du rag.

i love garnishes. ok - some good ones are - vermouth soaked capers, olive stuffed with roasted garlic in vermouth. i am a vodka gal through and through and Titos is my favorite at the moment. a sake martini is not a bad idea when your sake has gone a bit wangy.

The Shocker

I like Old Raj Gin, but that shit is expensive.
My cheap go to is Boodles.

Always dirty, straight up with olives.

My favorite gin was Leyden's which was dutch, but I'm not sure it's made any more.

Volume

I have some vodka and bombay in freezer too. I need a shaker though. The way I understand it is in a dry martini you pour the vermouth over ice and the pour it out again, thereby coating the ice with vermouth. After that you add the gin/vodka and strain into a chilled glass.

It just seems like such a waste to pour the vermouth down the sink.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, just use less.

RAGER

I'm having a kamikaze in a martini glass.  Does that count?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

cant drink them..i cant stomache gin or vodka. now if there is a tequila martini, then i may be able to handle a few..

Chovie D

I recently had a "meat and potato" martini. Potato vodka garnished with a hunk of andouille sausage.

Im not a big fan of martinis , so I cant give an unbiased opinion of it.

MadJohnShaft

More Meatini's?  You can give a biased one.

Chovie D

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 25, 2012, 06:26:17 PM
More Meatini's?  You can give a biased one.

it sucked, the potato vodka was nasty and the cold hunk of andouille sitting there was not appetizing, especially since this was at the end of a cocktail tour and like my 7th cocktail.

deleted account