Main Menu

Sampling?

Started by James1214, October 14, 2022, 05:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

So we have a gig coming up, first one in 5 years, and I want to run some samples as intros to songs, and to have some ambient/noise stuff between songs. In the studio we're triggering them with a midi pad from the computer, which works but isn't really feasible for a live situation.

Help me figure out an idiot proof and reliable way to trigger samples up to 2 minutes long. I'd like to not use my phone, or a computer, and be able to feed it into my Kaoss pad (using it for modulation and some glitchy shit) and my DL4 before hitting the PA.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Pissy

The way that Buzzov-en did it back in the day was pretty foolproof, they just had movie samples they collected and threw them together til there was more than their set would last.  They would instruct the sound guy to just let it play throughout on on channel, and whenever the stopped playing he was supposed to bring the faders up, the band would just get comfortable with finding a queue in those samples to use as a springboard into the next song. And it always just seemed to work out, because their samples were handpicked by them. 

Now if you could do something like that fed through your Kaos pad as another instrument, you could make something like that work. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Roland spds, Roland SP404, etc...
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

have the drummer figure it out if they can play to a click they can fiddle with triggers.

Elektron Model:Samples but learning curve. I always wanted an SP404, maybe this is a sign to get one

RAGER

Fuck Elektron unless you're that guy
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

check this shit out. these guys go old school with a boom box. analog samples.

Muffin Man

Maybe a "podcasting" trigger pad thingy for doing those radio spots/effects. I remember seeing a smaller device somewhere but can't locate it.

"One of the most striking features of the RodeCaster Pro is the array of eight Sound Pads on the right. In essence, these form a basic sampler. By default, eight sounds are loaded, one on each pad — a default intro/outro tune and a selection of radio-style sound effects (applause, laughter, sad trombone and so on)."

$600 bucks though on this one. $700 since the article was written. yeah, ALOT. There are software for this kinda thing so at this price maybe an app and tablet with line-out connector?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-rodecaster-pro-v2#para7

Zoom
https://www.altomusic.com/zoom-podtrak-p8-podcast-recorder-zp8#child_index=1611

James1214

Morty, funny story. Before I joined the band, the hazmat was founded by my punk band. When it was known as the Death by Excess warehouse.

I think a tape deck would be hella rad. One of the other guitarists has an iPad that we may be able to use. I also have some other ideas of how to do some audio fuckery.

words

Muffin Man

Boss 600 was mentioned in the thread linked but any of the boss units could be cool and have extra features for the guitar player

https://gearspace.com/board/live-sound/1388496-simple-backing-track-player.html

neighbor664

Circuit-bent boombox? Handheld cassette player/recorder held up to the mic?

James1214

Turns out the other one of the other dudes has an Akai MPX8 SD kicking around. May work, gonna fuck with it on Thursday, if running mono, you can do up to 5 minutes. Can have samples loop, triggers everything from drum sounds for DJ kinda stuff on up to full clips. Nothing is going to be more than 1 minute, most of the samples are wind/waves/noise for no more than 15-30 seconds, the longest clip is a portion of this.

https://youtu.be/ZH7hyzPIbp0

words

Muffin Man

awesome that looks like the kit

renfield

James. I don't have shit by way of advice here but congrats on having some GIG in your future!

James1214

The Akai seems at do the thing pretty well, it's super limited in some ways, and I'm having to fuck with bitrates to get everything I want on there, as it can only load a total of 30 MB in total to the 8 pads as a "kit" (the thing is basically a drum sampler after all) so mixing down to mono 640 allows a bunch of ambient and noise and vocal samples, enough for the set.

Renfield, thanks man, it's been a long return to doing shows. Funny thing, we're actually opening for HTSOB....  Sure you remember the last time I played with them.

words

renfield

hahhaha fuck yes i do. they got Billy Anderson playing with em these days i hear?

PyramidPyro

I have the Akai MPX8 too.  The free Akai file conversion tool is your friend.  Even if I set my export  to the requirements it doesn't like it.

Anything over 25 seconds is unstable.  Mostly I get an error it spits "noise" at the end of file play.

I've performed live with it 3 times in 2 months.  Twice it crashed or had a pad error playing the file.

If you find any good tricks to get that baby working as expected I'd be curious to learn.

E

James1214

Pyramid, I haven't had any issues with my clips if I switch them to mono and mix them down to a pretty low bit rate sample, which for all the post effects I'm doing, really isn't negatively affecting the thing we're going for. Its held u without issue p for 4 full sets at the studio, we'll see how it does live. 3 weeks and counting.

words

James1214

Quote from: renfield on October 28, 2022, 01:47:17 AM
hahhaha fuck yes i do. they got Billy Anderson playing with em these days i hear?
Yup, he's playing bass. I'm pretty sure only Paul and Russ are the only original members as Johann isn't drumming with them anymore, but damn, the live record that was released a few months back  is pretty damn excellent they did a song from Kalas with Matt on vocals.

https://youtu.be/VYyELry5prU

words

PyramidPyro

Sampler WORKED! Stable with all samples under 20 sec.  Stoked!

James1214

Dope.

words

Muffin Man

cool video clip. what sampler did you use? nice judicial use of that, very tasty. Noted the Iceberg clip, I'm due for a re-read..

PyramidPyro

Thanks!  I used the Akai MPX8.  7 samples scattered across the set all from the "Pimp" audiobook which is on YouTube.  It's a good listen - very entertaining stories from a world few will see.

E

Muffin Man

E, thanks for the sampler model. MM

Danny G

In the early/mid 90s I experimented with samples by using a hand held tape player/recorder just holding it to (there was a speaker on the side) my guitar pickup.

It sounded horrible. But, like, in a good way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Like many at one time back then we had a guy with a tape deck cued ready to play at certain points side stage, blurbs and effects we'd 4 tracked previously. We thought we were geniuses.
No Focus Pocus