Show Off Your Rigs: Rebirth

Started by VOLVO))), December 04, 2010, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Righteous

Our engineer dude's current basement set-up: (click image to enlarge methinks)

[attachment deleted by admin]
I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

Volume

VOLVO)))

All this is lookin' good boys! Keep it comin'!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

UPDATED!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

sheikyerbouti

my 70s kasuga lp

most of my pedals

my orange or120 clone (had it built by a  friend of a friend ) toned down to 50 watts, which i´m regretting now :-\

Stonergrunge

Guitar and amp: Lyon By Washburn and a Washburn VGA 30R South Side 30 watts SS combo

The pedals: RMC Picture Wah, MJM London Fuzz, MJM Sixties Vibe and Electro-Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo.

I know, the guitar and amp are cheap and entry-level quality but at least they get the job done.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

MONOLITHLOUD

This is my bass cab, running an Acoustic 220 through this guy:

MONOLITH Loudspeakers & Effects
http://monolith-loudspeakers.com
"We speak volumes..."

fuzzfarmer

These rig threads are my favorite....so thought I'd post up some of mine. I have other stuff, but this pretty much the heart of it.

'73 Sunn Model T
'74 Orange OR120
'74 Orange 4x12
     Empeor 4x12

'97 Guild S-100

Turbo Tuner
Radial ABY
Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh(s) #9 and #25
DMM

black_out

Nice Fuzzfarmer! Most people would kill to have one of those setups, let alone both. Although, I don't think I've talked to one person that hasn't had constant problems with their OR120. You have any problems with yours? Worth the headache?
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

VOLVO)))

Quote from: fuzzfarmer on January 21, 2011, 05:27:05 AM
These rig threads are my favorite....so thought I'd post up some of mine. I have other stuff, but this pretty much the heart of it.

'73 Sunn Model T
'74 Orange OR120
'74 Orange 4x12
     Empeor 4x12

'97 Guild S-100

Turbo Tuner
Radial ABY
Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh(s) #9 and #25
DMM

You owe me new boxers.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fuzzfarmer

Quote from: black_out on January 21, 2011, 06:38:14 PM
Nice Fuzzfarmer! Most people would kill to have one of those setups, let alone both. Although, I don't think I've talked to one person that hasn't had constant problems with their OR120. You have any problems with yours? Worth the headache?

I've only had it for about a year, but its been good to me so far.  Not long after I got it, it started making a noise, turned out to be something small like a solder joint or something.  I bought it from a guy, that said he had it for about 2 years, and he bought it from a guy that had it in a studio since around 1974.  So I doubt that the thing has had to run at the volume, or endure the vibrations that I put it through, running my guitar tuned to B standard, through it... :D

I've only heard of people having problems with the newer orange models, with the tubes mounted on the circuit board and stuff like that.

Discö Rice

Tubes mounted on the circuit board. Eep. Gonna have to take a closer look at that Thunderverb 200...
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

fuzzfarmer

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 22, 2011, 02:55:04 PM
Tubes mounted on the circuit board. Eep. Gonna have to take a closer look at that Thunderverb 200...

I dont know about the thunderverb...

Here is an example I found of modern orange..

Here is an example I found of an old OR120...although the doubled up caps on the board aren't orignal..still looks like a less troublesome amp.

EDIT:actually thats probably an OD120 or whatever they were..the ones with master volume. Looks like it has an extra knob.

Hemisaurus

I think unless you get a new custom shop hand-wired Orange it's going to be PCB based.

I like Joel's thread on their overhaul of one of the new Oranges

http://www.planetoftheamps.com/orange-ad-200-mk3-bassamp.html

but I concur mounting tubes, especially power tubes on a PCB is asking for trouble, as is mounting pots and input jacks. I'm not anti-PCB, but certain components should be mounted on the chassis.

VOLVO)))

I wish the jacks on my Marshall were chassis mounted... I would feel a whole lot better...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Their not? I thought the JCm 800's were all similar to the above pic.

VOLVO)))

It's an 86. The tube sockets are chassis mounted, but the fucking jacks are those plastic 6-lug board mount jacks.

Jesus fuck, the pots are board mounted, too.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Isn't the major telltale that an 800 has PCB-mounted pots/jacks is whether the inputs are horizontal versus vertical?
poop.

Hemisaurus

That would make sense :D

I see a lot of Marshall buffs making the distinction of early 80's JCM 800's, I guess they changed the design later in the decade? Funny all the ones I ever worked on must have been older, I thought the real crap didn't start, design-wise until the JCM 900's.

Looks like the re-issues also have vertical jacks, so I'm guessing they abandoned the pots and jacks on a board for those?

Discö Rice

It seems like these parts couldn't be THAT expensive. I wonder why building your own amp isn't a more common practice...

Hemisaurus

Transformers are pretty expensive.

I think I said in another thread, that I hadn't priced it out, but I wondered if buying a Bugera and gutting it, for the chassis and transformers, would be cheaper than a Weber kit.

A Bugera or Peavey Windsor is about $300-400, the cheapest Equivalent Weber kit is like $450?

Discö Rice

So if I had the wiring diagram for say, a thunderverb 200, would building my own be worthwhile, or are all the parts so expensive that it wouldn't matter?

Hemisaurus

Depends how accurate you wanted to be, Mercury Magnetics do 200W Orange transformer clones, a Power transformer is $300, and the Output transformer is $315. Don't know if you can order transformers from Orange.

Or you could get a Hammond or Weber transformer set for maybe around $150-200 per transformer, not the same as the Orange, but can be made to work. You can certainly build a clone with a similar tone stack and power section for less than $2000, easier still if you don't want to bother with switchable channels.

Weber even have a kit for a guitar amp with 6 6550/KT-88's rather than 4.

hayseed

My stuff.

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 23, 2011, 12:25:37 PM
Depends how accurate you wanted to be, Mercury Magnetics do 200W Orange transformer clones, a Power transformer is $300, and the Output transformer is $315. Don't know if you can order transformers from Orange.

Or you could get a Hammond or Weber transformer set for maybe around $150-200 per transformer, not the same as the Orange, but can be made to work. You can certainly build a clone with a similar tone stack and power section for less than $2000, easier still if you don't want to bother with switchable channels.

Weber even have a kit for a guitar amp with 6 6550/KT-88's rather than 4.

6, huh? Jesus. Two questions - Does that kit come with a cooling tower? -and- Do I have to get my plutonium 238 on the Black Market or does Weber have a supply?