"vintage law suit les pauls" that are crap

Started by justinhedrick, May 09, 2011, 01:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i'm sure logicalfrank and anyone else in the chicago area can atest to this:

people are selling shitty hondo, harmony, and lotus les paul copies w/ bolt on necks as "lawsuit" guitars. seriously? i had a "bently" les paul copy a friend gave me that was seriously the shittiest guitar i've ever played.

are people that greedy?

RAGER

people have been calling shit from the 80's vintage ???
fucking christ
No Focus Pocus

LogicalFrank

Vintage doesn't really mean anything in particular when it comes to guitars. It has a specific definition for wine but for guitars it basically just means old and the eighties started over thirty years ago. That's pretty old. I mean, a guitar from 1950 could easily be described as vintage if it were 1980, right?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

LogicalFrank

Also, I don't think calling every old LP copy "lawsuit" is endemic to Chicago, unfortunately. It seems it very often forgotten, too, that the most desirable and best of the old Ibanez, &c. guitars are typically the post-Lawsuit guitars. Older is not always better.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

RAGER

Quote from: LogicalFrank on May 09, 2011, 03:25:40 PM
Vintage doesn't really mean anything in particular when it comes to guitars. It has a specific definition for wine but for guitars it basically just means old and the eighties started over thirty years ago. That's pretty old. I mean, a guitar from 1950 could easily be described as vintage if it were 1980, right?

It's pretty much an accepted rule to guitar collectors that a guitar is vintage if made prior to 1970. this is what I keep hearing on the corksniffer forums.  they're usually a bunch of curmudgeons with no sense of humor but knowledgeable nonetheless.
No Focus Pocus

LogicalFrank

What it really means is that the guitar was made from grapes from a single year's harvest... The only time I think it's useful for guitars is to differentiate between something that has been reissued and the original version.

VOLVO)))

I had a guy tell me my 800 was "crap" because it was from 86'. He then sent me a picture of all his vintage Marshalls. I sent him a message back, "Sweet, you must be some blues lawyer?"

"Yes, how did you know I was a lawyer?"

fuckface.

Yamaha Studio Lord. Best LP clone.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Ha!!  what a douche.  i love my 69 Marshall.  And I would love to have a JCM 800.  Just haven't picked one up yet.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I love my 800. It needs tubes bad, I remember when the ones that are in it were new, it sounded like baby jesus singing. It sounds hard gay, now, lots of nasty trebley overtones with any type of fuzz. I love that thing.

It's on top!

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 09, 2011, 04:04:48 PM
I had a guy tell me my 800 was "crap" because it was from 86'. He then sent me a picture of all his vintage Marshalls. I sent him a message back, "Sweet, you must be some blues lawyer?"

"Yes, how did you know I was a lawyer?"

fuckface.

Yamaha Studio Lord. Best LP clone.

Probably was someone off TGP.

The best LP clones for me are Burny, in abundance, great quality, and cheap compared to Orville or an old Tokai.

eyeprod

My ibanez lp copy is sweet, but it's a set neck, which I prefer. That, and it's a custom, so of course some guitars will be better than others, build wise. That's the thing about the "lawsuit" guitars, is that they are varying in quality. I think people say lawsuit, but you can take that as japanese made in the 70's. I'm always looking out for 70's japanese made guitars, so I've learned what to look out for. Set neck is always gonna be worth more. Any rare model will be worth more. People try and get the same prices for cheapo bolt-on copies of gibsons, esp. les pauls since they are the most common. Those people probably don't understand the difference and why their guitar is worth about $200-$250 instead of $400-$800. Sometimes you can find deals where the seller has a nice set neck model, but is asking a low price because they have no idea. As for "vintage", I think people use it as a keyword for music gear to describe that's it's "old". Even 80's means old to some people, at this point.
CV - Slender Fungus

mawso

Quote from: RAGER on May 09, 2011, 02:24:36 PM
people have been calling shit from the 80's vintage ???

there's really no reason not to

i mean, a lot of great older guitars were only invented then