What are YOU up to, DIY/projectwise? Ask for help?

Started by VOLVO))), February 16, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

Quote from: James1214 on March 01, 2013, 09:13:11 PM
more brazing, needs a little cleanup and a lot of fitting so the hilt matches perfectly..... bug its one step closer to completion

You got some great skills man! did you pick that up on your own to apprentice with some one?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

James1214

I was taught most of my metalworking and fabricating skills from my uncle, who was a mechanic and built a  Formula Mazda car when I was 10. He taught me how to use a mill and a lathe and MIG and TIG by the time I was 15. My woodworking skills come from being the son of a cabinetmaker and having access to a good shop my entire life. I have taught myself soldering and brazing as well as leatherwork, the blacksmithing is mostly trial and error and fooling around with guiding by a talented blacksmith friend of mine to ensure I don't fuck myself, or the equipment up.
words

spookstrickland

Quote from: James1214 on March 04, 2013, 07:38:09 PM
I was taught most of my metalworking and fabricating skills from my uncle, who was a mechanic and built a  Formula Mazda car when I was 10. He taught me how to use a mill and a lathe and MIG and TIG by the time I was 15. My woodworking skills come from being the son of a cabinetmaker and having access to a good shop my entire life. I have taught myself soldering and brazing as well as leatherwork, the blacksmithing is mostly trial and error and fooling around with guiding by a talented blacksmith friend of mine to ensure I don't fuck myself, or the equipment up.

You have mad skills that is for sure.  I'm teaching myself leather work and it is really fun.  I need to try my had and forging something someday.  I have done some metal casting back in college though. Keep us posted  on your next project.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

mawso

well it's been 2 days since i went on a 4 day meth & oxycontin binge and now i'm really clogged up

my DIY project is to get things moving again

plz halp

Jake

First things first... you've got to get all those spiders off of your skin. Especially the ones just under the surface. Those are the ones laying all the eggs.
poop.

The Shocker

Quote from: mawso on March 05, 2013, 10:17:51 PM
well it's been 2 days since i went on a 4 day meth & oxycontin binge and now i'm really clogged up

my DIY project is to get things moving again

plz halp

Slither, is it you?

mawso

thanks guys, but i'm so blocked up atm that i think i'm going to have to dig it out manually

can either of you lend me a pencil?

i promise i'll give it back

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

I got bored and made some cable organizers because I've lost about 600 of those velcro ones.

550 Paracord, some thin galvanized wire (I would use bigger, but this is what was on hand,) nippers, needlenose, scissors.

Gut the paracord

Hook the ends so they don't jab through the casing, shitty pic, sorry.

Slide the wire in, knot both ends..

Bamm??? about .06$ worth of materials (if you're any type of man, you already have this shit on hand,) and you can have decently organized cables!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Here's what I was working on last weekend. Went to the Dollar Tree, Joanne's Fabrics and the Hobby Lobby, used coupons and picked up a ton of crap for cheap to do arts and crafts projects. First project is recovering a hardcover book to look like an old leather book. Kind of a static prop, it's just got some random novel inside that I bought for $1. More just teaching myself all the techniques involved. I'd like to eventually do a full hand bound book from scratch, for a sketchbook or something maybe. There's lots of stuff out there where people do Lovecraft style ancient tomes, alchemy books, Harry Potter props, etc. that I thought looked really cool.

Started with this on Saturday evening:

Ended up with this on Monday morning, when I did the last quick dry brush:

Didn't all come out perfect, like how you can still see the edge of the quarter binding through the front cover, but I don't care. It was fun and I learned a bunch. Some of the things I would redo, I had a bit of a gut feeling about while I was working or I changed my method partway through, because I thought something might not work or be too hard. So it just helps me learn to trust my instincts and be more confident next time. I've never done any crafty stuff for fun at all. Just wood working and sign making for work, but a lot of the skills were familiar. I still want to do a gold leaf title on the front and some additional aging/distressing to it maybe. I need to work my way up to the bookbinding stuff, it's a lot more complicated. I'll probably do some small, easy project first and at least one more of these recover type projects before I try to put it all together.

clockwork green

Weren't some of you guys doing acid etched pedals? I'm trying to talk Kevin at EGC into etching my next project.  I'm assuming it's possible to etch aluminum since Trussart does it (I'm pretty sure his bodies are aluminum as well).  My next guitar is going to have a lot of surface area (double neck) so I'm trying to think of ways to put something interesting on it. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

I,Galactus

Quote from: clockwork green on April 02, 2013, 02:30:12 PM
Weren't some of you guys doing acid etched pedals? I'm trying to talk Kevin at EGC into etching my next project.  I'm assuming it's possible to etch aluminum since Trussart does it (I'm pretty sure his bodies are aluminum as well).  My next guitar is going to have a lot of surface area (double neck) so I'm trying to think of ways to put something interesting on it. 

Double neck etched up EGC?  Sounds killer.  What necks?  Bass/guit?  6/12?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

moose23

The Bandit

SunnJake did some experimenting with it.

clockwork green

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 02, 2013, 02:32:37 PM

Double neck etched up EGC?  Sounds killer.  What necks?  Bass/guit?  6/12?
6/baritone 12. I'm not sure if he can/will do it. He's building the guitar now but I just got the etched idea this morning.

VOLVO)))

Etching is pretty easy, it's the prep work that takes the time. I doubt he'll do it, there's no real way to ensure it will come out perfect, either.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Do enough of these, and you get good at it... The dude who originally scalloped it really fucked it up. I did my best to fix it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 02, 2013, 04:22:51 PM
Etching is pretty easy, it's the prep work that takes the time. I doubt he'll do it, there's no real way to ensure it will come out perfect, either.
He won't acid etch but he's got a laser etching guy. I'm going to take a few days and think about it.

showdown

Finished my Telemaster.

The pickups are a Fender Texas Special and an old DiMarzio PAF, the neck is from Mighty Mite. Sounds great, VERY light weight and good balance. I used a wire brush on the body and treated it with iron acetate to get it grey/brown before i waxed it.

Very fun build, and I already have two new ones in the works. One spruce and one ash.

jibberish

that is sick^ wow
inb4 lippy

what exactly goes into that. grab pieces part from w/e online place? get a ?warmouth? neck
I should have bought this rebult tele at Bruno bothers like 2 yrs ago. he showed me the ?warmouth neck on it. said that is basically stock..anyway that's why I mention that name or it was something close? why mighty mite? you then make the body. that rough hewn texture is most excellent. how does it sound as compared to a regular tele?

IngwO)))))))))

ok, i'm taking a poll before taking a chance on a power supply jury rig on my old failed hard disk recorder.
back history: the power supply got weaker and weaker over a few months, then barely blipped the light then nothing.
this power supply is old school integrated on the board, I have searched in vain for schematics which would have lent a solid clue as to what to deal with.  All I have as a thought, is that the harddisk needs standard harddisk power like any other old3.5" hard disk needed.
old 3.5's were for laptops and have like 3.3 and +/- 5v or w/e, easily looked up.

here is the question: what do you think will happen when I wire an external PC power supply to the hard drive power taps.

a)it works and I can use it as a mixer, effects unit and an SPD/IF digital converter again, don't need to record with it.
b) something outside the main circuitry on the power supply side isn't getting the "high" sign and the thing sits with its HD spinning but nobody home
c) I scare people in that Russian town again when they see another incoming fireball

I don't NEED to have this running, so i'm kind of turning the corner with it right here and right now heh. it either works or I shitcan it. so let's play a game with it 8D

showdown

You can get the parts from Warmoth, Allparts, StewMac and others. I got most of the hardware from GFS, the Wilkinson bridges and tuners are good quality and nicely priced. Most Fender-style parts are interchangeable, so there's little chance of going wrong. I used the Mighty Mite neck just because I got it at a fair price locally. I got the routing templates from Ebay, but you can make templates yourself if you are able to print out the drawings full size.

The pine body is very resonant and lightweight, and I can get all the Tele-twang I'll ever need. But it really shines in the middle position, the pickups are perfectly balanced in output (lucky!) so there's the low end from the PAF and twang/sizzle from the singlecoil. Not exactly P90-land but not too far away either, it works great with a ton of fuzz  :)

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

xayk

I've had a really bad DIY run - four of the last five effects I've attempted have failed miserably. I did get a Gretsch Controfuzz clone done recently, but have otherwise just had a spate of bad luck. I'll have to fire up a an audio probe and see what I've done, but I feel like I need to confess my awful sins in this thread to purge demons.

jibberish

I had a storage/display problem with 6 guitars.
i accumulated those little stand-alone tripod stands, both single and double as I gained guitars.  those things are nasty looking and in the way and trap tons of dust and crap. ez2 knock over etc etc = suck for long-term storage, awesome for quick place to set a guitar tho.

now I have 9 guitars. something has to be done. so I spent today in the unreal awesome weather sawing and drilling outside to save a huge mess inside and basically have a compact stand for 9 guitars , on wheels, all in parts. it is 4' long, 13-ish" wide, the thing that holds the necks is 24" off the floor of it. made sure it holds the agile fender style bass. that thing is huge.
The stand rides on a 5" high furniture dolly, or stands alone.  cost goal = $0. scrap 2x2's and plywood, and other odds and ends laying around.

I have 7 hours into it and I am stopping at the point where I am figuring out with what to cover the padded and contoured floor for the guitars to set on.   still have to figure the perfect setup for cradling and securing the necks, but it isn't a high stress thing as the guitars all sit on the floor and stand up near vertical. I have some nice ideas I want to try , see if they fly.

I will edit in some kind of visual evidence at some point...

edit: progress. fri.  the assembly of the whole frame went very well.  this AM I have been working on the contoured/padded floor. little wood blocks, 2 layers of buick park ave insulation and some random piece ofblack cloth to hide the mess with.
I am dorking around with a piece of plastic corner molding to hide the edge of the cloth. I am going to count the number of wood screws I used in this week's tinker-toy project. it is a lot. this thing is stout.  

I have no clue what I am doing, but that is half the fun. shows you what you are made of heh. whole thing made with a sabre saw and a drill to make the parts out on the deck yesterday. now it rained here, so timing was perfect. I made hay, glad I did.

jibberish

well 17 hours into the project and it is functional. I totally overbuilt it heh. but no problem there. it is compact and rolls nicely. 137 screws and all that is left are the individual neck locks. I still haven't thought of anything I like yet.

you get a sneak peak at my black light jimi poster, but no music room video until I finish the lights.

guitars:

2 Ibanez rg-220
little schecter wtf, schecter Damien
agile fender bass
LP studio, cortez 59 black beauty
ultra swede and that blacktop tele.

just turn the sound down, no soundtrack...