The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Yes. Lots of textures and flavor bombs. Lots of ingredients.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Having fun with sandwiches. Here's the build for that last one.

Steamed the bun then two slices of Swiss and some spicy nuea tam gets toasted. Add mustard

Thin sliced dills next

Griddled ham

Pickled gai lan/carrots, red onion and shallots

Shredduce and done

Backside cheese hinge
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

WoW! did not expect that. 10 out of 10. plus 10 for the bun. Smashing!

RAGER

It was really good. Having the other half today. We'll see how it tastes reheated.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

that "cheese hinge" is wild. translucent webbing and whatever is going on there. fascinating. could be something one might see in glass-blowing studio. but that bun...really tops the work.

RAGER

Huge chore done. Cleaning out and actual cleaning of the fridges. Been putting it off. Skipped a grocery week and then some cuz we were out of town and then I just made do with what we had. Worked out cuz we got down to pretty much basics which made it easy to pull everything out to clean.

Main fridge

Project and beer fridge
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

mr high society over here with 2 fridges.

RAGER

3. I didn't show the other one. It's small those.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

anyone ever try this seasoning? its killer. i was turned onto this by a former employee of a famous burger joint that is no longer around. she the one who gave me the hot sauce recipe. its the seasoning they used on their burgers and onion rings. holy shit i tried it on a burger and was instantly transported back to that place. Vic & Irvs was one of the best.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Got 5 lbs of Albacore given to me. Caught 80 miles off the coast of Newport Oregon. This about half
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No. Having trouble editing this fucking thing. Fuck. Albacore

First thing was negi toro gunkan maki.

Raw tuna

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Neato. and 80 miles off Newport, wow. That's sounds out there!

mortlock

is that near where that stupid sub went down?

RAGER

I also did a makeshift sous vide so I could make canned tuna like product.

Turned out pretty damn good. Kept the water at about 140° for about 20 min. Capt Rick would approve.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: mortlock on June 23, 2023, 08:30:32 PMis that near where that stupid sub went down?
not really. well, same ocean, so kinda close.

Muffin Man

I'm fixin' to make Zimmern poached chicken. Whole chicken in a boiling pot then turn off the heat cover and wait 90 minutes. A lot of his ingredients I don't got so I'll wing it with what I have on hand bzzt, make a grocery run, need ginger, scallions. Supposed to be super tender. Can make dumpling mix with. I'm just going to test run it for now so no dumplings yet, at least until I find dumpling sheets.

https://andrewzimmern.com/recipes/andrew-zimmern-cooks-hainanese-chicken-rice/

RAGER

Oh. Add garlic to the cooking water. Don't throw it out. It's stock now. Cook rice with it. Then make khao man gai.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on June 23, 2023, 09:13:37 PM
Quote from: mortlock on June 23, 2023, 08:30:32 PMis that near where that stupid sub went down?
not really. well, same ocean, so kinda close.

Nah. Titanic is at the bottom of the North Atlantic. Closer to morty.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Oh yeah. different ocean. I was mixing up my oceans after looking at the Challenger Deep stuff, Mariana Trench in the Pacific.

mortlock

i heard theres megalodons in that trench.

Muffin Man

you can bet your sweet bippy there is