The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on July 10, 2023, 05:54:56 PMgreat use of the dust.

Can you believe that's the first ever bag if Flamin Hot anything I've ever purchased in my life? 

That movie was quite entertaining. I recommend it. Total bullshit story though.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I scored 10lbs of Hatch green chiles this week.  Just finished roasting and portioning and freezing them.   Should lest me quite a while, even giving some away.

I didn't take any pictures.  Sorry.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Did you have a holy drum over a fire?  Theres a place here called La Taq does that.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

No, I did them in the oven in batches while I was working. I had split them in half and seeded them first. Coated with olive oil, 30 minutes at 400° then put them in a closed container to steam.  Portioned into 1/2lb bags or so and I'll peel them after thawing before use.  There was some pretty dank juice that came out of them, I'd like to think of something to do with. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

If there's enough, marinate some chicken in it that has been dry brined then roast over cabbage to catch the drippings. Then collect those drippings and make a jus. Add some of your hatch salsa to a roast chicken sandwich on ciabatta with melty Monterey Hack and dip. Idk I'm just riffin.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Or make a hatch chopped chicken with cheese hoagie.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Either of those sandwiches sound awesome.  And jus is a good use of the juice. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

might work in an egg salad sandwich. I remeber that dank runoff from doing hatch in my dutch oven. Hit' them pretty hot temp, got the black liquid. I think I made ice-cubes from it for stuff later (Shaft trick)

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

That hiwatt you have, it's a Custom 20 head, correct?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Everybody all hatch chili cray cray atm. Humbug. They're just spicy Anaheims.

I'm developing a roast shishito burger/sandwich of some sort currently. I'm working on the bread/bun aspect.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

https://thehat.com/
i def need to try their pastrami. somehow i need to get to cali for this.

Pissy

Quote from: mortlock on August 17, 2023, 08:17:41 PMhttps://thehat.com/
i def need to try their pastrami. somehow i need to get to cali for this.

You should try mine.  

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

I would love to put your pastrami in my mouth.

Pissy

I got a line on a Hobart deli slicer.  Actually three of them for $400 here in town - unknown condition.   I'm thinking i can fix them up and sell two and make some cash, and keep one.  Hobarts are easy to find parts for and fetch $750 used in good shape on the auction site.  

I actually just sold my La Pavoni Euripicola espresso press on there.   It was the cheapest one stateside for sale. It took a while, but it went for $525+shipping.  Of course now that the IRS is requiring a 1099 to get sent to anyone that makes over $600 from online sales, I'll only be keeping about 67% of that (ebay fees are now 13.25%, and they took another 1.5% for "expedited payment".  

But still it made me the side hustle money to go out and make more side hustle money.
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

where does everyone stand on the mayo debate? hellmans or dukes or ???
ive always been a hellmans guy. never had dukes in my region until very recently. i bought a jar and fell in love with it. the debate raged on in my head. dukes was starting to win, then when i went to buy another jar the store jacked the price up. at first hellmans and dukes were both priced at 6.99 a jar. they left hellmans where it is and raised the dukes to 8.99. fuck that. im sticking with the hellmans.

RAGER

I like dukes too but to pay more just because it's a novelty?  Meh. It's usually Hellmans/best Foods or Kewpie.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Dukes is the gold standard here. But it's not exactly the mayo of the gods.  

Mayo prices here are bonkers, I've noticed.  The large jars are only a buck more than the mid sized, so like a 5.99 8oz jar vs a 6.99 20 oz. Well duh.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Made an heirloom tomato tart.

Moments earlier they were relaxing on the vine minding their own business.

Three heirloom varieties, thyme parsley and basil from the garden, Maldon, pecorino and a domestic Gruyère type.

Pre bake. I'd luge to say I laminated my own dough but I did not. I'll do a galette next and I will make that dough.

No Focus Pocus