The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

And a haggis DCS is necessary because....?
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on September 30, 2023, 06:30:21 AMAnd a haggis DCS is necessary because....?
because i constantly need new content ideas. Duh. Tell me you dont run an award winning cooking show without telling me you dont run an award winning cooking show.

RAGER

It's the haggis discussion time of the year again.

Quit being a pussy and eat the damn haggis. On camera.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

The black glove and i just got back from an afternoon of take out tour stops. I have some mindblowing episodes about to drop. On daves cookin show...

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I've added this stuff to my arsenal. Going for that Cantonese take out flavor tonight.

You know the "sauce" that's not actually a sauce that is the thickened liquid surrounding your cashew chicken or shrimp and broccoli?  That stuff or the "gravy" in egg foo yung or moo goo gai pan but brown. That's what I'm going for. This stuff and a few other things make up the flavor profile.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Looking forward to your dish.
I've got that in powder form and used it for brining whole chicken a few times. Added it to some random dishes but nothing like what you can do with it. Although, I've got a stovetop wok shaped pan now so I'll give it a whirl. Have corn starch on hand too , oh, and MSG. I better re-read the powder ingredients to make sure I'm not going overboard with sodium. Have almonds on hand and chicken too. Okay, tomorrow.

ps. I salted and sweated some eggplant slices today so those will have to go in. Some of it I'l bread and fry, or naybe not, I have some sweet stuff. either teriyaki or hoisin. /thinking out loud
bon appettite

RAGER

Ran a little late out and about yesterday and didn't want to skip some of the prep steps for the Cantonese dish so I didn't make it. I will tonight.

Instead I made pollo enchilados rojo with pintos and and vegetal white rice cooked n bouillon stock.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

WOW. looks insanely good. i had a garbage plate the other night. its been awhile. it was soooo fucking good. they really hit when you dont have one for a minute.

Pissy

I couldn't eat all of that.  I would try though. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Ok here's my riff on Cantonese shrimp, chicken and broccoli. Would be great over rice or noodles. We did neither cuz we were carbed out kinda.

All par cooked, blanched and ready to go. Seasoned stock ready to be qian'd. Slurry on deck.

Couple finished shots with scallions, sesame seeds and toasted oil and chili oil.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

A riff on egg drop soup but using miso dashi and no qian. Add chilis, housemade furikake heavy on the shiso from the garden, scallions and toasted sesame oil. Warming.

And if you're like me when you get near the bottom you add an ounce or so of warm sake, more chilis and wash it down Oden style.
And then you eat half a burrito cuz that wasn't enough.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

gorgeous dishes chef RAGER. that stir demo is intriguing!

here's my eggplant chicken dish; hoisin, sweet soy, pickled mustard green stalks, tempura bread flakes mashup. yum. putting eggplant into rotation.

RAGER

Yo muffin. Ya know those Portuguese rolls? Papo seco?  Look up bifana? Damn. I'm doing those.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

mmmm sounds tasty! i'll be looking for those.

RAGER

What in the hell is this abomination? Pissy?  Has anyone attempted to foist this upon you? 

https://www.thecountrycook.net/virginia-white-sauce-salsa/
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on October 19, 2023, 05:40:55 PMWhat in the hell is this abomination? Pissy?  Has anyone attempted to foist this upon you? 

https://www.thecountrycook.net/virginia-white-sauce-salsa/
I don't think I would succumb to eating that unless my immortal soul was in danger of being chained inside a baby daycare classroom for eternity.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Found the flash point of canola oil last night. Exciting. Kellie freaked a little. I calmly backed out the door with the wok fully engulfed and set it on the concrete.

Another shout out to BKF.

Before.

After
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

saw BKF for $2.99 at the other store. I think it's $2.89 (or $2.38) local, lemme check. Will never be without it.

ps. the other store is sold, new IGA now in process. I'm really worried. The previous had some werid shit, and I, actually. just made the long trip there to get some wierd hot sauce. Nowhere on the shelf. Another one bites the dust. So fucking sad. Well, maybe, IGA is okay? I'll be the first to know. My eyeballs are sharp with that shit.

RAGER

Man, I loved the IGA here few years back. Catered to the minorities in the area.  Fukn badass meat department. Cool cuts that the damn crackas didn't know shit about. Good chorizo too. They had culantro.  Note that. 

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Picked up my first jar of Duke's mayonaise family recipe since 1917. mmm-mmm a-ok stuff. Tested it well slathered on leftover steak sandwich. perfecto. Not sure if that was an local grocery IGA sku add. first I've ever seen of it. $4.99 16 oz so not a total bargain but yeah, not too bad. Glad to have it.

it; kciks kewpie to the curb. I may be done with kewpie, don;t want to look at it but have another bottle in the pantry. ugh.

honestly, I need to test the Duke's in tuna. Then it'll be settled. Kewpie fails in tuna, I haven't found anything that kewpie works on. nothing. Avacado, turkey sandwich, tuna, beef sandwich, nothing. I must of got a bad batch, a 2-pack squeeze bottle from costco, maybe it was over heated in the warehouse. It;s not "bad' it's just not good. yucky. The ingredients make sense and it should be good/primo but. oh well, maybe my pallate is off this month/last month,

Pissy

IGA's in the UP tend to have some meat/cheese products that are local favorites.   Juusto Scandinavian cheese comes to mind.  It's made traditionally from the milk of the 4th milking after a reindeer gave birth.  I think that's so the colostrum is gone, but the milk is heavy with fat. Of course they use cows milk over here. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Made tatsutaage last night. Very close to karaage. Also some potatoes and squash simmered in fortified dashi, Oden style. Butter and shoyu. 

Had my housemade ponzu and lemon with the tatsua.

No Focus Pocus