The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Quote from: RAGER on November 22, 2023, 06:53:06 PMThat's awesome. Butte______?

Was wondering what that package was labeled.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Says Butterfly.   Lots of roast, cube steak (that hasn't run through the pocker thingy), things labeled steak, stew meat and i think I saw two strap loins.  No idea what a butterfly is. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Roasted eel miso soup w/noodle and shitake

Muffin Man

grilled ribeye cold steak sandwich w/Thai chili nuoc cham
on a super soft artisan bread with one kind of seeds
nuoc cham receipe per RAGER

mortlock

ive had steak cold before but its not my fav although that looks very good. beyond good.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I like hot but damn!  You just he live my buddy John. They ask him at Vietnamese restaurants "how hot you want round eye?"  "Hurt me" he says.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

funny thing is it wasn't even hot. of course next batch will probably be a scorcher but not on purpose, I'm not actually a scovil units thrillseeker. 3 out of 5 at the restaurant is my go-to. Horseradish, good. Chinese mustard, great. Next batch of Thai chili sauce will be fun to put on grilled burger. really liking the vinegar pepper combo.

RAGER

So yeah I'm back in the workforce again. It's been a while. I'll wait a while until I unleash the full culinary array of my lunch odors until I gauge the folks' level of culture. All whiteys of course. That means no kimchi, pickled daikon, fish sauce, extreme garlic levels and definitely no fish. Although I might have the place to myself over the weekend.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

Oh hell no!  If I was it would my own fukn concept fuckers be damned.

I'm back in commission sales.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

It's nice to be back to work. I don't hate anybody here yet. So that's good. Couple kinks but they'll get ironed out.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I drive through my old neighborhood on my way to and from the new job. There's a tavern right about the halfway mark (10 minute drive total, Fukn love it.) that I see myself stopping at from time to time in the future. When I lived in that hood I'd go up there once in a while but it was usually geezers suckin down Bud , Coors or Hamms and watching sports ball. Younger family took over the place a couple years ago so there's some better beers and still some geezers. So it's a good mix. I also know a couple bartenders.

Anywho, I see they're advertising a holiday potluck still. Just like they always did. How do you guys feel about a tavern potluck?  No fukn way in hell. The internet is full of videos of people cooking with there goddamn animals on the counter. Fuck that noise. That goes for work and any other potluck situation.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

We used to participate in our tavern potluck during Bloody Mary sportsball Sundays.   It was always fine.  I recall one time my wife made beef bourguignon that was primarily responsible for keeping people upright for a 4:00 game.   They ate at the bar, took the bar's party bus to the game uptown, then came back mostly drunk, but credited their ability to keep going on that dish.  

She makes an incredible beef bourguignon.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I feel you're probably not cats  on the damn counter people.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i welcome the animals. what kind of pos doesnt let their pets walk around on the kitchen counters while preparing food??

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on December 24, 2023, 09:43:38 AMI feel you're probably not cats  on the damn counter people.

The cats get on the counter, and even eat off the dishes in the sink, but certainly not while food is being made.  We have one cat that is driven by food just like a dog.  It's really fucking annoying. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I'm about a month into the new sales job. Things are good so far.  Blah blah blah. So let's talk about the nearby food options.

Right next door is a shitty dive bar usually frequented by trump endorsing aged hotrodders. Just greasy Sysco frozen bar food. Meh. Gotta be hard up.

There's a couple convenient stores nearby if I need that heat lamp corn dog fix.

Theres an Americanized Chinese joint up the road if I want Generals Toes or fried scramps. Maybe a takeout dinner.

But what I'm interested in is on the way home for beer after work. Right close is a brewpub opening their second location. It's not my favorite but good enough for a pint in the way home. And I hear their food isn't terrible.

Even closer to home is that dive tavern I mentioned and right around the corner is another brewpub. I haven't been to that one in a few years though. It too is mediocre but good enough for a quick pint.

Though mostly I'll just stick to packing lunches.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

considering everything, im thinking the dive bar is the best best despite some of the politics. i ignore that crap for a good bar burger and fries. especially if all thats out there are 'brewpubs'. fuck that.

Muffin Man

ive never seen a brewpub older than 15 years, or 10, before it was condemnded or spun off. compare that to an 80 year old dive that won't go away, thank god. I'm an old hog and rooted through them all, even on a Sunday. and a Monday.

Pissy

We have a dive biker bar here that has great wings and good prices.   We stopped going on Wednesday wing night because they have live music (always some random solo acoustic dude) that begins at around 6:30.  It's unbearable, and we've told them as much. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Only problem is that the rice bar doesn't really serve food. They used to have a hotdog roller thingy and the ever present pickled sausage and eggs in jars. It's small. No room for a kitchen.

The brewpub that's been around for a while keeps changing their food around. Now a pizza joint that couldn't make it in its own location is providing the food on a small scale in the pub. It's not great. They used to have some Mexican inspired stuff that was pretty good.

The food at the new brewpub location has yet to be revealed.

For cocktail options I'll have to continue to downtown. But in the summer I'll usually just want a crisp clear West Coast dank IPA.

Oh yeah I forgot. Theres this "Mexican" place that we used to go to in the 70's that shut down and reopened a couple times in the 90's and 00's but just reopened. From what I remember it was old school Taco Bell-esque but not Taco Bell. Oddly they just have beef as a meat. No pork or chicken.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.