The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted account

Quote from: RAGER on June 24, 2013, 10:13:32 AM
Made ribs over the weekend with a spicy kale slaw.  didn't take pics.  Then last night I braised the rib meat and made bad ass tortas de puerco.  Holy shit that was good but by the time we ate it was 8:30 so I only ate half of one.

what's the kale slaw recipe?

RAGER

If I can remember.  Slice up kale, slice radishes, carrot match sticks, super thinly sliced red onion. 
The dressing was mayo, red wine vinegar,black pepper, garlic powder.  I think that's all.  Pretty simple.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

Chovie D

the health department shut down my uber healthy weed cafe before I even got to try their cholesterol and THC packed super burger. >:(

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

you need to start a comedian blog thread

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Ryno

New Mexican red chile beef enchiladas.  This ain't fuckin ranchero sauce.  It's hot.  It's tasty.  It's Nuevo Mexicano.  I have to have my mom smuggle the shit into Cali because you can't get it here.  I got some papas fritas goin on the side with some slow cooked beans.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

deleted account

nice coozy.  how would you describe that sauce?

Ryno

Taste varies from batch to batch.  Many ways to make it and everyone has their take on it. It's basically a purée of reconstituted sun dried red chile pods, (which are the same as the green chile pods), slowly cooked with a flavorful roux. I use chicken stock but hippie vegans can use veggie broth.

The sauce can run the gamut from mild to insanely hot, depending on the chile pods themselves.   My wife thought the enchis were too spicy but I thought they were perfect.  Made me sweat and nose was running pretty good.  Intense, lingering heat, salty, tangy, and texture similar to a mex mole sauce or bisque.

It's like red gold.  I make my own sometimes but it's a laborious process.  This stuff was really good for a store bought jar.

black

Cervantes (the restaurant where that red chile enchilada sauce comes from) is an old school, authentic New Mexican restaurant. Their red is killer and their green chile sauce is pretty great too.. Their lounge is totally old school, dark, wood paneled with cozy booths. Great place to eat some of the best New mexican cuisine and get your drink on. Might have to eat their tonight since Ryno didn't invite me over last night.

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

Quote from: Ryno on June 25, 2013, 03:13:36 AM
Taste varies from batch to batch.  Many ways to make it and everyone has their take on it. It's basically a purée of reconstituted sun dried red chile pods, (which are the same as the green chile pods), slowly cooked with a flavorful roux. I use chicken stock but hippie vegans can use veggie broth.

The sauce can run the gamut from mild to insanely hot, depending on the chile pods themselves.   My wife thought the enchis were too spicy but I thought they were perfect.  Made me sweat and nose was running pretty good.  Intense, lingering heat, salty, tangy, and texture similar to a mex mole sauce or bisque.

It's like red gold.  I make my own sometimes but it's a laborious process.  This stuff was really good for a store bought jar.

I went over how to make this in another thread I think.  See; Rager Chile paste.  Amny ways to use it from moles to posole and enchiladas
No Focus Pocus

Ryno

Quote from: black on June 25, 2013, 12:09:40 PM
Cervantes (the restaurant where that red chile enchilada sauce comes from) is an old school, authentic New Mexican restaurant. Their red is killer and their green chile sauce is pretty great too.. Their lounge is totally old school, dark, wood paneled with cozy booths. Great place to eat some of the best New mexican cuisine and get your drink on. Might have to eat their tonight since Ryno didn't invite me over last night.

Black...you know how good that Cervantes red chile is.  There is some good shit around town, but this stuff is really some of my favorite.  You're welcome to come by any time!  Just bring some with you!  Have to stock up again.

Yeah Rager, it's a pretty basic sauce that gets really good and complex depending on the different ingredients used.  I always tweak it.  A little more garlic, or a little bit of cinnamon, maybe some mexican herbs.  One of those things you can experiment with forever, but the standard sauce is plenty good enough.

black

Quote from: RAGER on June 25, 2013, 12:34:35 PM
I went over how to make this in another thread I think.  See; Rager Chile paste.  Amny ways to use it from moles to posole and enchiladas

I remember that recipe, but you have to understand that until you have tried a red sauce made with New Mexican, dried, red chilies, you are talking apples and oranges. I think you know enough about the chemistry of foods to appreciate a climate/geographical specificness that makes New Mexican chiles unique unto themselves. The prep of the red enchilada sauce is somewhat different than your paste recipe too. None the less, I am a fan of all varieties of spicy sauces, pastes and foods.

I'll look into care package for my man Ryno. I don't want homie going through withdrawals or for his Mom to get popped for smuggling.

/chileporvida
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

I made half a chicken (man, do I have a lot of half chickens from my CSA to use up) in the slow cooker all day with a soffrita and the usual SA flavors.  When I got home I took out the chicken and strained it and added a chopped up yucca and chayote and put the shredded chicken back when done. They ate it all so a win. 

I bought some goat from the farmers market so next time I feel like making the pepper sauce above we'll try that.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Chovie D

I took a 3 hour "knife skills" class last night. meh.

RAGER

Black- We have NM dried chiles here but I wouldn't be opposed to having some of what you're talking aboot shipped to me if you're down.

Chovie- What was meh aboot it?
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on June 27, 2013, 12:34:50 PM
Black- We have NM dried chiles here but I wouldn't be opposed to having some of what you're talking aboot shipped to me if you're down.

Chovie- What was meh aboot it?

i dont know. somehow I expected more from it I guess.
3 hours is too long for any class.
I was bummed to learn my german knife set is now considered crap and that the diamond sharpeners that come with em are useless.
apparently Japanese blades (global) are the only acceptable knives these days.

I didnt  like the technique for dicing  onion, even tho I know its "correct", I dont like pulling the kife towards my flesh like that to make the horizontal cuts, onions are slippery.

btw the teacher did not have a problem with using the back of the knife as a cutting board scraper/food relocator, tho she did prefer using the scoop "its just the right tool for the job" etc.
we were discussing that before if your  recall? Persnoally I dont got room for extra shit like this in my already oveflowing kitchen, so the back of the knife and my hand will do for now.

I learned that one isnt supposed to use a serrated knife on cooked meat, or on anything except bread, artichokes and tomatoes for that matter.
apparently it destroys cell walls, whereas a nice smooth surgical cut doesnt let out as much of the goodness fom those cells.
yet at the finest restaurants I am given a serrated steak knife with much pomp and ceremony before they bring out the meat
i guess you dont give the guests the good knives  ;)

Lumpy

A serrated knife on tomatoes? Interesting.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on June 27, 2013, 04:58:30 PM
A serrated knife on tomatoes? Interesting.

unless your knives are razor sharp (which lests face it, they are not always) doesnt a non serrated kind of smash em?
Ive alwys used serated fopr tomato, and up until now for carving cooked meat
apparently a carving knife isnt suppoesed to be serated.

Lumpy

I usually pierce the tomato skin to get it started, then start sawing away with my dull blade. That works okay.

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on June 27, 2013, 05:15:15 PM
I usually pierce the tomato skin to get it started, then start sawing away with my dull blade. That works okay.

cherry or plum tomatoes would be tough to do that way I imagine.

whatever wroks tho, Im not gonna go out and buy a $600 japanese knife set(tho i might break down and get one blade)

Lumpy

Quote from: Chovie D on June 27, 2013, 05:48:16 PM
cherry or plum tomatoes would be tough to do that way I imagine.

Nah, it's the same. Dull blade bounces off the tomato skin, but if you pierce the skin with your knife tip, you can get traction.

MadJohnShaft

I have one of those scoop things but it's hard to store and retrieve so no go.

Why do the damn Japanese get to still control us? That knife looks gay.

Onion like this?  Cut off top and bottom and peel off skin - with botom on cutting board cut parallel cuts down across onion and then perpendicular the other way - then slice off one side so sits flat - put on side and cut down for instant diced onions.

If you want bigger pieces you are supposed to go pole to pole right, instead of rings, correct?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Lumpy

Nothing wrong with rings, except the pieces are all different sizes if you're cooking it.