The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Ten Best Ice Cream Shops in America, according to TripAdvisor (I read about this on the Huffington Post, which sucks...)

Just sayin... for you in Ohio, Florduh, and Ottsville PA...

Cowlicks Hand Made Ice Cream, Fort Bragg, California
Dietsch Brothers Inc., Findlay, Ohio
Handel's Homemade Ice Cream, Bonita Springs, Florida
Pink Pelican Ice Cream Bar, Panama City Beach, Florida
Holy Cow, Red Hook, New York
Leo's Ice Cream, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Broom's Bloom Dairy, Bel Air, Maryland
oWowCow Creamery, Ottsville, Pennsylvania
Sweet Cow, Louisville, Colorado
Ice Cream Smuggler, Dennis, Massachusetts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/best-ice-cream-shops_n_3535168.html

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

that list is bs because this place isn't on it..trust me.

lftwng4

Quote from: Lumpy on July 02, 2013, 08:18:20 PM
Ten Best Ice Cream Shops in America, according to TripAdvisor (I read about this on the Huffington Post, which sucks...)

Hey, we're number 2 on that list.  Dietsch's also makes their own chocolate.  Place smells fantastic.  Only chocolate covered pretzels I care for.

Chovie D

cedar planked salmon..brown sugar glaze.

RAGER

That looks killer^^  Finally got a day off where I'll be in town.  What to cook what to cook?  If I pick up a gas grill today I might grill up some rib eyes and some shrimp with a chimichurri and maybe some elote.
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

Nothing special, but still delicious.  Baked chicken breast and sauteed veggies. 

This Juan goes to 11.

RAGER

That's the right direction.  To keep consistent crunchiness to your sauteed veggies, add your shrooms and zukes a bit later after onions and peppers have cooked.  The zukes will stay nice and bright green and the shrooms won't shrivel as much.  Pan sear the chicken breast and finish off in the oven until just 165, tent with foil as you do the veggies and serve together just perfectly done at the same time.
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

The 'shrooms and peppers were perfect.  The zuke was too soft, good call.

Hmmm...will have to try the pan-searing on the chicken, although it was almost perfect.  A wee bit dry, but not by much.
This Juan goes to 11.

Lumpy

Chicken breast takes less time than you (uh, I) imagine. I used to bake it for 60 minutes, then wonder why I wasn't enjoying it. You can go with 40 minutes and it's still cooked. I'm going to start shaving minutes off that, as well. Maybe see if I can get down to 30-35.

RAGER

Don;t worry about the time, go by temp.  When it's 155-165 pull it and tent it.  That's when it's juicy.  That's for white meat.  dark meat is a completely different thing.  Brining is another way of retaining moisture and flavor but you can;t brine chicken as long as pork.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

RAGER

Those little round dial pen thing ones work just fine.  cheap as shit at supermarket, roundeye.
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

I usually go 45 minutes at 375 degrees, covered in foil, but I'm also trying to narrow it down a bit...and yes, I use a meat thermometer.  I also plan on getting a mallet to smash the whole breast down to even thickness so the outsides aren't dry when the center is juicy...but the only ones I've found so far are crappy.
This Juan goes to 11.

Lumpy

I'll look for a thermometer.

I bake my breasts at 350 for 40 mins... In a pinch, you can use a regular hammer and a short length of 2x4 for pounding (wrap your chicken in a bag). The 2x4 spreads the force out. Any solid block of wood will work.

RAGER

If you pound out the chicken breasts that shit will take just a few minutes till done.  most recipes will tell yiou to pound them dound to 1/2 inch.  doesn't take long to cook 1/2 inch of chicken.  Always tent and lest rest a couple minutes.

I have a tri tip resting right now as we speak.  Oh shit gonna be good.
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

Last night's ground pork burgers.  These are really tasty.

This Juan goes to 11.

Sparkle Motion

Quote from: black aspirin on July 14, 2013, 11:37:29 AM
Last night's ground pork burgers.  These are really tasty.

Two words. Fuck and Yes.  We are also having pork burgers tonight. I mixed them with chorizo and bacon. Serving them with Romesco sauce. Got the recipe from Suzanne Goin out of Sunday Suppers at Luques. My wife is a big fan of hers and I have to say that haven't been disappointed in any of her recipes yet
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

RAGER

The owner of the dealership i work for bought a nice big shiny new gas grill for us so today i grilled up a bunch of chicken and steaks for us.  One of the other managers who doesn;t know shit about food came back with a bunch of stupid seasoning mixes but hey that's better than nothing i guess.  Everybody dug it.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

mmmmm burgers....

that salmon looks amazing Chovie!

Passatta, chopped tomatoes, loads of garlic, sea salt, pepper, white wine, aubergine, king prawns and tuna steak...

king prawns, tuna steak and mushrooms marinated in white wine and garlic, drizzled with honey...

with greek salad, kalamata olives, tzatziki, stuffed vine leaves and pittas, yum!
DooM!

mortlock

Quote from: black aspirin on July 14, 2013, 11:37:29 AM
Last night's ground pork burgers.  These are really tasty.

sick as fuck..finishing this with pickles is amazing..

juggernaut

Quote from: Lumpy on July 02, 2013, 08:18:20 PM

Ice cream is my weakness and one of those places is only a half hour from me.  Which means only one thing....Road trip.

Chovie D

a former bandmate of mine has been on tour for a couple years now with a soul singer. He missed cooking so he had this made for the road.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Awesome! tour eating can be pretty grim, I cant imagine how you'd find the time to cook though!
DooM!

Chovie D

He says the two biggest problems are a lack of running water, and availability of ingredients.