The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Perfect steak. Do you snap, cut, or shave the ends of your asparagus?
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I cut the ends and hit 'em in my new pan 11" across the top. Heavy pan! Not sure what braising is but that's the idea. Put some next to sandwich from yesterdays steak. Eh, ended up inside which worked nice. No a good cut, better cut next time.

Jor el

That last photo looks like a homicide

What Would Scooby Do ?

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on March 17, 2019, 09:33:31 AM
Perfect steak. Do you snap, cut, or shave the ends of your asparagus?

I'd like to try that snap but the stalks were supermarket ones standing in water. Kinda bad sourcing, I'll look at my higher end store and see if I can snap those - is that good? never heard of snapping the ends. Never heard of shaving the ends either.

RAGER

Cut off the last 1/2" and then shave off the tough bits with a peeler. It's nice and tender at the end with less waste.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Ya know when you open a can of chipotle peppers in adobo and ya use a couple then it gets shoved to the back of the fridge and turns to mold?  Don't ya hate that?  Well separate them out with a little dollop odd sauce on each one then freeze them individually and store them in the freezer for later use one at a time. Besides it looks really appetizing too.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Good idea! I can only cook with one pepper at a time. But the cans of whole chipotle peppers are a big cost savings when compared to the same size can of chipotle sauce. (6 recipes vs. 1 recipe).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

Electric ranges are such fucking bullshit.

Lumpy

mortlock

Quote from: Lumpy on March 21, 2019, 07:38:43 PM
Popeyes is my kryptonite :(
theres a little corner store in a neighborhood near me that has the best fried chicken with these gigantic potato wedges that are amazing. next time i go ill get pics.
hell i might turn it into a cookin show episode. first in a series of on location episodes.

RAGER

I've never had Popeyes. Fried chicken is kinda of a thing here. There are multiple awesome fried chicken places. Its awesome.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

For a national franchise, Popeyes is pretty solid.

If you go at busy times (lunch, dinner) when the chicken is sure to be fresh, it can be solid as an MF'er.

mortlock

fresh or not. fried chick rules. i love cold chick the next day. 

Muffin Man

Oyster "Poboy" Habanero Sauce Jalapeno paired with Cranberry Juice

Muffin Man

Setting up a garden box for Chives. What other herbs are no-braner to grow outside in moderate temp? Basic herbs list? Do I need to dehydrate for nifty spice rack project?

RAGER

Rosemary grows itself. Oregano if ya like. I use thyme quite a bit. Tarragon is great in salads and different sauces. Fennel for the fronds and the crunchy root and if it goes to seed you can harvest those too. Cilantro and Italian parsley but it can bolt quick if the temp gets too hot so harvest soon as you can.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Basil is easy to grow, but also easy to use up quickly. You can replenish it by putting a sprig in water, then transfer into the dirt when roots grow in.

RAGER

Yeah basil is easy. I don't use much basil for some reason.

I can't stress enough. Get a culinary bay tree. The fresh leaves are so flavorful. You'll never go back to that dried shit. A leaf between each chunk of pork on skewers is life changing.

Keep it in a pot and move it inside first sign of frost. I keep mine in the mud room in the winter.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Thanks all. Nice list, I'll start with those. I may try Mint. And if I an grow Nettle it could make a nice tea. Been on a tea kick lately.

mortlock

Grow some cilantro and mail some to me.

RAGER

If you're doing mint, keep it in a pot. Super invasive.
No Focus Pocus