The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

so my friend returned from scottland and brought me a can of haggis. any tips on how I should prepare this? what I should have it with?

Lumpy

You don't make your haggis from scratch? 
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

Make a Dave's Cookin' Show with it, please! If it were me I'd try a few dishes just to have fun. Form a patty and fry it like a sausage patty.  Fake a nigiri sushi with haggis as the rice and a fresh slice of Spam as the tuna. Dip it in soy what the heck. haha. And drams of Scotch Whisky.

mortlock

ill do it. i need some new material anyhow. its perfect actually. on the can it says add a 'we dram of whisky' on the label and you can bet i will be. its the grants brand. i need to find a good scottish whisky to pair with it. if all else fails i will have a bottle of hot sauce to drown anything out. for some reason i think im going to dig it. i got to get past the lamb lung mentally. thats the hard part.

Muffin Man

Lungs, ewe. Sheeps Pluck; heart, lungs, liver. They really go for it. I see grants has a Haggis Bon Bon recipe. So many things to dream up. Chicken fried Haggis! Haggis deluxe garbage plate!

http://www.grantsfoods.com/2016/06/05/haggis-product/

mortlock

It might be illegal for me to have this can of haggis. Banned since 1971. Im going to sell out that motherfucker who smuggled it out of scottland if i get caught.
How much can i get for a can on the dark web?

RAGER

I can order it on amazon. You're fine. Chicken fried haggis sounds good.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Im not sure the amazon haggis has lamb lung. Thats the problem. I got the real deal. The good shit. 

RAGER

The grants on amazon have lung. It's the real deal.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

When you open that can for tv...for show and tell?

RAGER

This meal is all over the place. Had to use up some stuff

Batata Harra. Middle Eastern potato salad.

Harissa thighs and Serrano ham wrapped asparagus n romesco.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

How about that Morty - could try chopped up hard boiled egg over Haggis

mortlock

if I do it with eggs it will be over easy. I need some yolk as a gravy.

Sparkle Motion

Quote from: renfield on March 14, 2019, 01:03:06 AM
I actually got the giggles eating this, all euphoric and shit. Weed deprivation does strange things to the human psyche. Somebody gofundme a better pan

NSFW:

Maybe next time let the steaks rest a little more.  Otherwise the look delicious.  You would not believe how hard it is for new cooks to make decent marks on grilled meat.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

Sparkle Motion

Quote from: renfield on March 14, 2019, 02:00:35 AM
cheers my brothers and sisters, tonight was most victorious

One of my favorite amaros.  I hope you enjoyed it.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

renfield

Not a new cook, just a shitty one ;)
Yeah I like the Foro, this one is my favorite tho:

RAGER

I'll have to try those. This is one I've enjoyed before

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

We're getting close to Tequila time. What do you guys like for Mezcal?

I'll be shopping here, or wherever [spoiler]https://www.lovescotch.com/[/spoiler]

Muffin Man

Vietnamese Gumbo I had today. The chef is from Southern. Doesn't look like much but it was most excellent. Various seafood and fish in fish broth with pork belly and pork yam I think is what she called it - the stick shaped pressed pork. The little ball at 1:00 is a quail egg - I haven't one of those a decades. Masterful broth, at first might fishy to the noes (Western) and might salty to the palate but then quickly becomes delicate and light, and perfect. I wasn't the least bit thirsty later. Not a big glob of vermicelli, either. A light hand. My new go-to other than their vegetarian pho, and their spicy beef in peanut sauce broth.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I would eat two of those.

You guys have good Vietnamese in the northwest. I know you do in Seattle.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

I used to get the Beef Stew Pho alot, with baguette instead of noodles, when I was in Seattle. Or the vegetarian at one place with either veg broth or fish broth. It's cool how these little places make their own house/signature broth. I moved though and get my international cuisine from around Vancouver BC. Just discovering the many offerings but the place close by, a hole in the wall (with spotless bathrooms) is really great. They don't have beef stew, though, nor Bahn Mi. No bigge. I've got two takeout items in the fridge now, Veg Pho and House Spicy Beef Pho.

That beef stew! (random webpic)

RAGER

Portland has some killer spots too. The good Korean stuff is in Beaverton for the most part.

Fuck!  That reminds me.  Forgot to go to the new H Mart goddammit.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

A thrown together dinner last night using up stuff on hand.
Shrimp and orzo salad. Flatbread with asparagus, garlic, red onion and fine diced Meyer lemon peel.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Perogies at Midnight; Bacon Cheddar Potato dash of soy sauce in chili oil.
Store-bought dumplings but what a find!