The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleestak

Did you ever faint just looking at it?
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Muffin Man

Whoa. McMenamins has a massive tap list. I have't ate there in decades but had a beer(s) a few years ago at their Crystal Hotel location- a top 10 beer of all time for me. Limited stout or something. Food pictures look stellar?

https://www.mcmenamins.com/eat-drink/on-tap

lftwng4

I think a lot of brewpubs have solid food, or at least consistent.  Before we really got into craft beer, we'd still always seek out the brewpub in a new town just because their food was usually held to a certain standard we enjoyed. 
There's a brewery in Canton Ohio that seems like it's a restaurant first, and a brewery second, even though it's called Canton Brewing Company.  That's the kind of stuff I don't like, where it seems like brewing their own beer is just a fashionable bragging point, and in a few years they'll move onto whatever else the masses want.  And their prices aren't all that attractive either.
But there's some fantastic exceptions:  Jackie O's in Athens Ohio makes world class beer, and their food is always consistently great.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on June 20, 2019, 02:42:38 PM
Whoa. McMenamins has a massive tap list. I have't ate there in decades but had a beer(s) a few years ago at their Crystal Hotel location- a top 10 beer of all time for me. Limited stout or something. Food pictures look stellar?

https://www.mcmenamins.com/eat-drink/on-tap

Don't even get me started on the Mc scene. Their beer is shit. Too busy trying to fill demand (yeah I knew w how that sounds) to actually make something quality. They now cater to the families that drag their kids everywhere and don't bother to scratch the surface of good beer and food. It's good enough for them. Hey mom and dad can bring the spawn and get hammered too.  All without spending too much. It's like Applebee's for people that thing they're edgy.

Back in the early days before there was much competition and before they had over a hundred locations McMenamins was pretty cool. Over the years I have spent a small fortune in their pubs, have made great friends and enemies with people that worked there, gotten friends jobs with the company, partied after hours in the pub, had bandmates that worked there, went to employee events, had flirtatious fun with some of the ladies etc.......my best friend today I met through McMenamins nearly 20 years ago. We go way back.

All that being said, I haven't spent a nickel there in probably 3 years.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Oh yeah I've known my wife for over 20 years but hadn't seen her in about 5. Ran into her in a McMenamins and had our first date 8 years ago.......at a McMenamins.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Spinach + gruyere omelettes. This was a nearly perfect breakfast; brat bun would not have been my #1 choice, but it was on hand.

Muffin Man

The Tuna salad "burger", soy sauce drizzle on onion bun
(cold sandwich)

RAGER

Crazy busy day. Got off way late. Only had time and energy to make a sesame crusted grilled kimcheese sando with gochujang,chives and Thai basil.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Rager i need you to start posting step by step recipes. Please.

Muffin Man

That sando looks special. Kimcheese? Interesting!

RAGER

How do you filter your water?  Me. I just throw a petrified Japanese turd in the jug for a hours and magically it's transformed into pure drinking water void of anything harmful. Or so says my wife. I haven't looked into the science of it yet.

Obviously charcoal filtration is not a new thing but.......

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Haven't tried that one but have charcoal-ized walnut husk tooth polish. It's "o k"

Sirloin burger for lunch - patty from butcher; cheese, bacon, jalapeno on cast iron pan. Just some mayo. Came out perfecto at med rare  ;D Good butcher.

renfield

Finished the roasted peppers by sauteeing with garlic and oregano, splash of red wine vin at the end. They're better after a day in the fridge.

RAGER

Quote from: sleestak on June 20, 2019, 02:31:42 PM
Did you ever faint just looking at it?

I'm going to this place today. I'll make sure to steady myself.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Had some delicious pickled things yesterday
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Cabbage 'n carrot braised in dill pickle juice, sweet onion, touch o balsamic, kielbasa, smoked paprika. peppercorn strip marinated in hemp oil (grocery store) and himalayan salt.

renfield

Realized I needed some fuel to make it the rest of the day, so I fried up some pitas and then drizzled with honey and sprinkled with za'atar. dijon and "jalapeno sauce" for dipping.

QuoteHey renfield how come you didn't fry the second pita enough idiot?

because i was too busy w/ ur mum

renfield

Ribs are cooking. Trying to decide what flavor to put in this tomato shallot dish I'm improvising. Maintaining.

renfield

It came out good, i was too drunk to take pictures. The rufus teague sauce was good.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

It's great tastes like lamb but cheaper. Chivo!
No Focus Pocus