The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on August 24, 2019, 11:25:51 PM
Cold sockeye with diced summer veg salad and Urfa pepper

Maniacal!

I wonder if H-Mart would have that pepper? I've never heard of it. Ok to sprinkle on smoked King?

RAGER

Urfa is Turkish. Doubt Kmart would have it. Also good on nectarines and cottage cheese for breakfast.

Really need to get back to making my own cottage cheese.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I bought some buttermilk from the farm today, also several yogurts. Love cottage cheese too, that's great that you roll your own.

renfield

What y'all been cooking? I attempted beet cured salmon and failed, but it sure looked cool

RAGER

That's a new one to me. Sounds Scandinavian. Whahoppen?
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I think Wahoppen is pickled. That's how my grandma made it anyway.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

renfield

Quote from: RAGER on August 30, 2019, 05:55:00 PM
That's a new one to me. Sounds Scandinavian. Whahoppen?

Swedish I guess? When I was looking for tips on curing them egg yolks I saw this image and was like "well fuck yeah I'm trying that". It only seemed to cure about a millimeter of the salmon though, and the flavor was just overwhelmingly salty without much aromatic complexity.

RAGER

When you cure something and it ends up being too salty you can soak in milk and that leeches out much of the salt.

Your chunk of fish might have been too thick.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

What a sad day for beets and salmon. More like

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

Polish pickled beet salad FTW. Something for everybody!

RAGER

I've just recently been intrigued with fermented meat. Like Thai soured ribs and various types of naem sausage. It's a simple procedure and very simple ingredients that pair nicely with Thailand's hot, sweet , sour flavors and vegetable textures.

My wife's not totally on board but she's coming around. I bought some commercially done stuff to play with until I make my own.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on August 30, 2019, 09:38:46 PM
Polish pickled beet salad FTW. Something for everybody!

I'd Polish that off in one sitting.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Sign me up for the beet club as well. I usually "braise" them in their skin with some balsamic

I like this salad:
Beets
Green beans
Sliced fennel bulb
Avocado
Chives
Gorganzola/red wine vinegar/oil dressing, turns a chalky purple with tossed with the beet juice.

Maybe I'll make this weekend and post

Muffin Man

Please do! I too love beets. Will pickup some pickled this weekend and post something. Lately, all my stuff is premade so nothing special. But this Autumn I'm sure to make the homemade Borscht.

RAGER

I've got some golden beets I need to use.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I roast beets with carrots and sweet potatoes (root vegetables). Peel (not the sweet potatoes though) and chop into chunks, toss with a splash of olive oil and ground pepper, roast in a pan for 20- 40 minutes at 425-450 degrees (depends on how big your pieces are and how crowded your pan is, and i like it well done instead of slightly crisp). The sweet potatoes cook the fastest (so slightly bigger pieces are okay) and carrots cook the slowest (so slightly smaller pieces are better)

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on August 30, 2019, 09:39:03 PM
I've just recently been intrigued with fermented meat. Like Thai soured ribs and various types of naem sausage. It's a simple procedure and very simple ingredients that pair nicely with Thailand's hot, sweet , sour flavors and vegetable textures.

My wife's not totally on board but she's coming around. I bought some commercially done stuff to play with until I make my own.
cant really blame your wife for not being on board with your fermented meat. Give her a break.

RAGER

But it's delicious. She's far more adventurous since we've been together than before. She lived off toast and the occasional Sunday meal her brother would cook.

She'll come around.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Sardines in Olive Oil over Brown Basmati w/Pickled Beets. Sardine oil drizzled on rice. Sometimes it the thought that counts, excuse the presentation? lol

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I love sardines. Trader Joe has lightly smoked ones which are good!

RAGER

There's a few tapas places around here where you can spend a small fortune on tinned conservas of all different varieties.

Reminds me. I've got about a $25 tin of Spanish tuna belly I need to do something with.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Afternoon assortment bowl of Tabbouleh salad, KimChi, Beecher's New Woman Cheese (for Sept 1)and Italian Olives.
Hey that cheese is good...

Adding Jamaican Jerk spices creates a savory cheese that's earthy, nutty and spicy. With its complex, smoky flavor, New Woman is just as delicious melted into your favorite dish as it is on a cheese plate.