The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Can't say that I've had the cheese. Looks familiar though. Probably got it at a Murray's kiosk inside a Kroger? 

Next time I'm at my cheesemonger I'll take some pics.

Linky.  https://www.cheese-bar.com/
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Could be, at Krogers. I should have mentioned they're kinda local but maybe they've expanded regionally from their original Pike Place Market location. They make cheese there and you can get fresh curds. Overall, okay stuff for a grocery staple.

RAGER

Oh yeah I'm well aware of Beechers.   
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Oh, no doubt. I see they were awarded 1st place at ACS 2019 - #1 Clothbound Cheddar in America.

https://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/acs-2019-award-winners/flagship-reserve-7-oz

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on September 03, 2019, 12:39:10 PM
Oh, no doubt. I see they were awarded 1st place at ACS 2019 - #1 Clothbound Cheddar in America.

https://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/acs-2019-award-winners/flagship-reserve-7-oz

Hooks creamery is a standout too. Wisconsin of course. Their 7 year cheddar. OMFG.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Anyways in food blog news. My new fav place.

https://www.eempdx.com/

A pedigree of some great places already.

Salt and pepper squid garlic rice dressed greens.

Brisket burnt ends fried rice.

Thai fried chicken
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

looks amazing!!

ive had my eye on a place called the french quarter i need to try. check it out rager and let me know what you think. in order to see pics of the food you need to go to yelp or something. kinda dumb to be a restaurant and not have pics of food on the website imo.
https://www.thefqc.com/

Lumpy

I would eat everything on that menu. Friendly pricing too.

Google Maps says it's a 4 day walk. I'm not sure if that includes camping time, or straight through.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on September 03, 2019, 11:15:55 PM
looks amazing!!

ive had my eye on a place called the french quarter i need to try. check it out rager and let me know what you think. in order to see pics of the food you need to go to yelp or something. kinda dumb to be a restaurant and not have pics of food on the website imo.
https://www.thefqc.com/

Lots of good stuff. I would def be into some crawfish boudin balls and bbq shrimp. But oddly there's nary an oyster on that menu. Not even on a po boy.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on September 04, 2019, 03:00:05 AM
I would eat everything on that menu. Friendly pricing too.

Google Maps says it's a 4 day walk. I'm not sure if that includes camping time, or straight through.

I was very impressed. The build out is really neat and matches their theme. It's a collaboration between three guys. A couple of which we frequent their other places. Never been to the guys bar that runs the cocktail program. Def need to go for dinner. Much more on the dinner menu.

If you start out now you can take your time and we'll meet there next Tuesday for lunch.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I was referring to the Cajun place in Rochester. Walking to Portland would take more than 4 days.

I checked out the Eem menu - it looks good, but I'm not really into fusion cuisines. I'm sure it's all delicious but I tend to like the cheap and traditional formica counter type places, and fusion type places are usually more expensive and fancier.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I updated my post to sneer at your restaurant suggestion (not really)

RAGER

I spend way too much money on food and drink. I don't really spend much on anything else though.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on September 04, 2019, 12:11:04 PM
I spend way too much money on food and drink. I don't really spend much on anything else though.

You're in high end sales, it makes sense for you to go to the hot restaurants and that type of thing, just so that you are living in the same world as your customers probably are.

Maybe that didn't make sense, I don't know.

renfield

Mortlock, is this what you had with the cheese q?

RAGER

I love pico pica. Always have some on hand.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on September 04, 2019, 01:33:03 PM
Quote from: RAGER on September 04, 2019, 12:11:04 PM

You're in high end sales, it makes sense for you to go to the hot restaurants and that type of thing, just so that you are living in the same world as your customers probably are.

Maybe that didn't make sense, I don't know.

You're glamorizing my job. My clientele doesn't know shit about food generally speaking. I would be shocked to see one of my customers at one of my haunts. Although that happened one time. I cornered them, closed a deal and they were in my office next morning signing. I picked up their tab. Maybe they felt obligated.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

Fixins for a poblano corn chowder I made yesterday morning for lunches.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Tried a new place yesterday afternoon. Have had a cooked oyster in a while. It wasn't terrible. They had a self service tap wall.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

What's a top-notch food processor? Mainly I need to shred cabbage and other vegetable. Not gonna do it by hand. 12qt plus I guess. Any recommendations? I need a good one that'll last forever.

I bought this Lodge Dutch Oven 5 Qt. Nice part, lid can be used as a skillet. Heavy as a truck. Going to take a swing at a bread loaf for first use.

RAGER

Robot Coupe if ya wanna spend the dough.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Indeed$$$ Thank you for the recommendation, RAGER. When I find something I'll loop back.

Did you ever find a cabbage mandolin you'd endorse? (I may end up shredding by hand afterall :D