The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

I bought a garlic peeler, the rolling tube thing. I guess it kinda works if you gotta peel a ton. I don't like smashed garlic, always slice it, then chop if needed. Then again, most of my dishes taste pretty bad. (ed. wtf I do like lightly-smashed/partially whole garlic in stews, pots etc.) I bought a bag of garlic powder...meant to buy granules....Gah!

Tuna Melt, love those. That time of year again!

Meatloaf makes a mighty fine sandwich - even went whole-hawg and put ketchup on one

Meatloaf with Red Horseraadish Mashed Potato:

Curry Rice & Brocolli with Curry Garlic Perogies:

Muffin Man

Super Trifecta Pancakes (Sourdough, Maple Syrup, Butter)

Almost as thin as crepes

renfield

Beautiful.

Yeah you gotta slice/smash where appropriate.

Lumpy

I think it was Mario Batali who said that crushing garlic was a bad idea, I'm not sure why. Something about crushing the cells which release the blah blah blah. He said to get rid of your garlic press and use a sharp knife instead.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

I once worked with a chef that claimed he could tell how sharp your knife was by tasting the garlic you sliced with it. We blind taste tested his ass and his claim was validated.

It definitely changes the flavor to smash instead of slice but sometimes that's appropriate. Jacques Pepin was pro-smashing so just putting that out there.

Muffin Man

What's the garlic bread magic....granulated in butter? I need to whip up a batch of garlic bread and make some sort of soup to go with it. Maybe a peppercorn beef barley. I need to get a slow cooker.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: renfield on October 02, 2019, 01:26:21 PM
I once worked with a chef that claimed he could tell how sharp your knife was by tasting the garlic you sliced with it. We blind taste tested his ass and his claim was validated.

It definitely changes the flavor to smash instead of slice but sometimes that's appropriate. Jacques Pepin was pro-smashing so just putting that out there.
thats like the one musician in a philharmonic orchestra saying he could tell the violin player across the room 4th one over second row was a half step off on the intro segment.

Lumpy

Eric Johnson can hear the difference between alkaline batteries and non-alkaline batteries in his Fuzz Face.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

I know the type, first hand with the one Morton described. But this one had the cred to back it up. Ate like a horse, too.

RAGER

I can tell if something is spicy or not by just tasting it.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

HotDog Spiked Braised Curry Chicken over Crispy Rice and Eggs Nam Prik

lftwng4

We grew 1 plant of Habaneros that aren't hot.  Supposed to have the flavor without the heat.  So I picked one today, cautiously cut into it, and got that earthy smell they have.  Tentatively took a bite, and no heat.  Weird, all instincts were telling me it was gonna be hot, but nope.  We've also got a bumper crop of regular habaneros that I have no idea what to do with, as my wife is not a fan of very hot.  We did really well with the small red chilis, and got a good bunch of poblanos too.

renfield

My buddy was just adulating these heatless habaneros as well.

What the fuck is wrong with you people, just eat a bell pepper if you're a little bitch...

;D

mortlock

habs without heat is like weed without thc. fucking pointless.

RAGER

I was always catching hell from the "whites" for using too many habaneros in the achiote puerco at the that restaurant way back.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on October 04, 2019, 06:43:38 PM
HotDog Spiked Braised Curry Chicken over Crispy Rice and Eggs Nam Prik

What variety of nam prik you using?
No Focus Pocus

lftwng4

Quote from: RAGER on October 07, 2019, 08:49:08 AM
I was always catching hell from the "whites" for using too many habaneros in the achiote puerco at the that restaurant way back.

I've got a recipe for a jerk sauce that calls for a dozen habaneros.  I usually only use 3 in it, and my wife still complains it's borderline too hot.  I don't know that I've ever gone the full dozen, it would be pretty spicy.
Most of my co-workers won't eat it even with only 3 peppers in it.

RAGER

That shits meant to be grilled outside. Plenty of ventilation.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

No Focus Pocus