The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Lumpy's right. I like the stuff that's not common and takes more work and different ingredients. I've had all the normal Thai dishes and curries.  Of all those I only enjoy pork prik king or pad se eew. It wasn't until I tried Pok Pok and this other place on Hawthorne than has now shuttered due to high rent called simply Chiang Mai that these different flavors stood out. Flavors I've never tasted and I was like whoah that's what this stuff is supposed to taste like. Stuff like galangal, kaffir lime, and blood. Call it guay tiew reua and mention it has blood in it?  No takers. Call it something fun like boat noodles with coconut milk and that's more acceptable.

I love lasagna and carpaccio. Obviously we've got some top notch Italian joints here. Fresh pastas made daily.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I forgot to take pics of the jin hoom neua. Wife wasn't crazy about it. I get it. Essentially there's two ways to cook beef. Either barely cook it at all or cook it until it's fall apart. In between you often get a gamey livery taste. This was still a bit chewy and the cut ( banana shank) lends to that texture. She like the other flavors but not the slight gamey taste. I thoroughly enjoyed it
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Prik king is a favorite of mine but i usually do it with a filet of salmon

I'm down with all the dishes Lumpy posted as well, and agree that you can find good renditions of them everywhere.

Also tom yum is great.

RAGER

Tan tan mian for dinner last night with water spinach and Chinese celery.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

What is it?

I went out for Thai food the other day because I was nearby a place I liked. I asked for spicy and it wasn't spicy but I didn't send it back because I hate doing that.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Sichuan noodle dish. Ground pork fried with five spice, dark soy, shaoxing wine, sweet bean, and su mi acai(pickled mustard greens). The sauce/broth consists of stock, cooking water, lots of Sichuan chili oil and peppercorns, soy sauce, chopped garlic, sugar, chianking vinegar, and tahini.  Often just called dan dan noodles.

I almost never send anything back.  I know shit happens sometimes. If it's a $50 overcooked steak it's going back though.
No Focus Pocus

Isabellacat

Cooked corned beef with rice and onions tonight Filipina style. Turned out really good as usual. I know how to cook the most perfect Asian style rice,taught to me by real Asians growing up! There's a secret to it.

Ube(Purple yam) ice cream for dessert is also the bomb.

renfield

Trying to do a sourdough starter, I'll let y'all know how it goes

mortlock

have any of you guys tried the waygu beef? rager im sure you must have whipped up something awesome before with this.

RAGER

Real wagyu is from Japan I think so no matter haven't but I've had some labeled wagyu or Kobe. The meat is more marbled resulting in more tender. I've never spent the dough to have an A5 wagyu steak though.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

im going to do it at some point. ive already committed in my mind. i told my g that id split the steak sand with her. cant really afford two.

RAGER

A sandwich?  I'd just go for the steak alone.

Wife brought home bad Chinese food last night. And a lot of it. Haven't had Americanized Chinese in several years. I hate wasting food but much of this is gonna get tossed. No idea why she got so much. Now I'm rethinking lunch out today.

Was gonna do this with Jo Jo's
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I said sandwich because of the waygumafia in japan.

On a side note, how does mrs rager bring home bad chinese food. Surely she must know of your cullinary skillz and wouldnt want to offend you with substandard asian cuisine. Since she brought it home in such abundance im thinking shes sending you a message. Shes mad about something.

RAGER

No. She suggested it and I said fuck it. I didn't think she was gonna get the quantity she did. Imagine $50 worth of shitty Chinese food. It's like she ordered half the menu.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Ive been divorced twice. I know when a woman is trying to tell you something.

mortlock

Back to the waygu. The waygu mafia steak sand is $185. Its small. I could put down 5 or 6 of them after a few bong hits. Thousand dollars in steak sandwich munchies.

renfield

RAGER

Nice. You can feed that thing forever now. Your dough 30 years from now will be from the same culture.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Muffin Man

My sourdough starter went flat so I just did a restore on it. Hope it works - drained off the brown liquid, remixed with distilled water and Bob's Red Mill Organic Buckwheat flour.

Muffin Man

If this link works its Japanese Wagyu via costco

Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast, A5 Grade, 12 lbs

Online Price 1,279.99 $
Less 280.00 $ -
Your Price
999.99$
Price Per POUND: $83.33   
https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagyu-boneless-ribeye-roast%2c-a5-grade%2c-12-lbs.product.100311435.html

mortlock

Quote from: Muffin Man on November 12, 2019, 08:45:02 PM
If this link works its Japanese Wagyu via costco

Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast, A5 Grade, 12 lbs

Online Price 1,279.99 $
Less 280.00 $ -
Your Price
999.99$
Price Per POUND: $83.33   
https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagyu-boneless-ribeye-roast%2c-a5-grade%2c-12-lbs.product.100311435.html
thats actually cheap from what ive seen out there.

RAGER

You're forcing me to do this aren't you? 
No Focus Pocus