The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

I'm going to peel and boil some more golden potatoes. Would that curry powder work wonders?

edit: hard boiled eggs for salad sandwich. Imma go ahead and curry those up.  8)

Also have 1lb of cinnamon enroute. No idea whay but it might turn out to be an upcoming secret ingredient

mortlock

we (meaning me and my lovely assistant) made a rice and meatloaf blend ground pan fried with some fresh roasted red, orange and yellow peppers and onions and some garlic. i didnt shoot an episode. i prob should have. poss a missed opp. but fuck it. it was fucking amazing. 

RAGER

That bag of curry is more like an Indian or maybe even a Malaysian type because of the fenugreek, cinnamon, and ginger. I would lightly fry the powder in some coconut oil then add some flour to make a roux then add coconut milk or just milk if ya want for a thickish sauce. Add the taters and cook until quite tender Then add peas. Serve over rice.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

she fucked up the rice. no other way to say and she knows it. i even revisited the directions rager gave. to no avail. it is beyond her skill set. that is my final conclusion. 

Muffin Man

What is get her a rice cooker present on black friday, for $100 Alex? I'd imagine the rice could be crisped up proper with some kinda "fancy cast iron work"? (not wok mispelled - but maybe wok work too?).

Muffin Man

I've got some half-n-half will try a small batch, then get the coconut next trip.

RAGER

Noodz and dumplings and rich beef rib meat and yu choy with Szechuan chili
Oil

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Yam plaa muek goong

Spicy squid and shrimp salad. Bangin!

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

I was at this big Asian store on 82nd ave called Hong Phat and found a big bag of frozen US squid so I bought it. I avoid seafood from China cuz asshoe. Be doing some different Squid dishes. This one was rings and tentacles but I'll do some laid out and scored.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Sweet 'n Hot Chicken Nugs over quinoa brown rice.
(brined in salt w/cayenne 90,000 scovil units, marinated in brown sugar, egg-wash fry)

Also .mov of chicken breast in peanut oil for sandwiches later.

RAGER

I need some fried chicken soon.

Made an Italian meatball soup.

Then when wifey went to put the rest in the fridge she proceeded to dump most of it on the floor.

Grilled up some meat too.

Stuffed the sausage with makrut leaves and Thai chilis.

Chanterelles

My stage 4 cancer brother in law is having it rough lately so I made him some nem ran to maybe spur his appetite and something easy to reheat.   Made sweet tamarind chili sauce to go with it.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

holy fuck rager. no words when im hammered other than id eat the fuck out of all that right now if i could.

im getting ready to make a swedish meatball dish. its going to be epic. if in the drunken frenzie i can manage to get an episode filmed, rest assured i will.

RAGER

I fucking love Swedish meatballs. My wife is Swedish. Her mom makes some killer balls. I don't even try.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on October 30, 2020, 10:07:18 PM
My wife is Swedish. Her mom makes some killer balls.
watch your back dude.

Lumpy

RAGER

I'll probably just make my own. Although I'm craving Hat Yai style. With some roti.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Did a lot of cooking the last couple days. 

Made pork bone stock

mad kind of a gaeng hang lay out of the meat pulled from the bones.

Made a bean and bacon soup.

Made a chicken, mushroom, and wild rice soup.

Roasted up a bunch of chicken thighs.

Then put some baby yukons in all the schmaltz and seasonings and roasted those.

Made up a bath of blue cheese dressing and a batch of cocktail for shooters.

then for dessert we made oatmeal scotchies.

Too busy for pics.  Tried to keep my mind off the obvious.  But also my wifes brother has been stage 4 cancer and is really starting to lose.  It probably won't be long unfortunately.  I'm so glad we got to all go to Hawaii a couple years ago.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

We got a pot of ham and cabbage soup on the stove. Its pretty fucking good. Getting ready to pull the ham out and chop it up.

Lumpy

Muffin Man

edited below. & edit adding a post

Okay, I'm making a Seaweed-Ham-Tofu soup. Making it up. Hmmm, any ideas on seasoning? I've got Miso on hand. Probably add some Great Northern white beans (canned). Fish or Soy sauce or both?

Since I have so much seaweed plus also some wierd frozen fish (H-Mart) I'll be making some seaweed and fish soup, as well, later.

For some reason I'm hankering for seaweed.

edit:
it''s Laver seaweed, I'm adjusting my plan. The old plan still a go but not for this Laver stuff. Looking at a light broth, tofu, and some kinda seafood filets.

eeee ghads it's this stuff (I've washed it several times)

Muffin Man

Found this about seaweeds. Looks like I'll be simmering Laver for 6 hours then reducing to make ice cubes. Among other things.

https://gallowaywildfoods.com/laver-seaweed-edibility-identification-distribution/

Muffin Man

Did you ever miss walking along the ocean beaches at low tide, taking in big whiffs of briney iodine-y, oyster shells baking on the beach smells? Or, perhaps, was wondering how to make your house smell before your sailing friends arrive so they feel right at home?

Easy! simmer some seaweed on the cooktop for several hours. Voilá, you're at the beach at low tide.

RAGER

From what I know, most if not all seaweed is edible.  I just wouldn't eat the stuff that's washed up on the beach.  Gotta get the live stuff still growing.
No Focus Pocus