The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Sent away for this stuff from an Italian food source in Wyomissing PA.

I also ordered from amazon a mini wok.  Well.  That's what I got.  I need one a bit bigger.  lol

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Nice stuff, I could use all three.

Ha! that is a tiny wok.

Muffin Man

Seaweed ice cubes. The "idea", if it works, is to add Umami to whatevers cooking.

Simmered 6 hours, then reduced. Would that be extraction/reduction?

RAGER, they gather seaweeds off the beaches here for soil ammendment but I'm not sure how they apply it. The stuff I cooked it store bought. I guess I'll make a sceince trip to the beach and see whats available. Salmon is coming down from AK. Honestly, I wonder if I should rent a geiger counter to see what the beach reads post Fuku....

mortlock

Rager.
My lovely assistant has asked me to inquire with you as to proper cutting board maintenance. I do know they should be oiled but is it bad to wash with soap and water.

She was preparing a salad and after chopping veg she had olive oil all over the board. After that i went to chop some onion for something else and i didnt want olive oil on the onions so i began to wash it off and she lost her fuckin mind. Please help.

RAGER

I usually wash mine with soap and water and dry thoroughly. I sometimes use a vinegar and water solution to deodorize or scrub it with a lemon half.

If you're going to use oil use a food grade mineral oil. Olive oil can eventually go rancid.

I have specific ones for raw meat only.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

This is just the few that I use currently. There are several more.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Thanks rager. I think shes mad at you too now.

Lumpy

I think conventional wisdom is don't use soap on a wooden cutting board (so she's right) but I always do, I just try to make it as quick as possible. You don't want the soap to soak in, as much as you can help it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

Quote from: Muffin Man on November 08, 2020, 09:21:57 PM
Nice stuff, I could use all three.

Ha! that is a tiny wok.

not to be an asshole but, it could be a very large apple.

RAGER

It's adorable. It'll be my tasting dish. Or to serve a naam phrik in
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Christmas ornament for the chef in your life

renfield

I did the veggies bolognese style for this chili I made. It is very good. Sorry to post chili, I know that shit is kinda nasty looking

RAGER

Dry brined this pork coppa then roasted to 145 degrees. Accompanied by squash, peppers and asparagus.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Lumpy

You could stab a lot of cops with those.

I want to get a whole turkey this year. It's just me for Thanksgiving but I have a working freezer and I love turkey. But pre-brined turkey tastes weird to me (like it's fake- the texture is all wrong, and its too salty). Getting a natural turkey means standing in line at someplace like Trader Joes or Whole Foods, spending $50 and then having to haul it home on public transportation. If there are even any turkeys left now... I might have to get a brined turkey from the local grocer.

RAGER

Just dry brined my turkey parts an hour ago. Should good to go by tomorrow
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Question, chef, how are going to season it? I really should re-season my pans but don't think I can do it proper until I buy a high BTU device, a propane countertop, I think.

Is there a deal out there?

RAGER

Sorry I missed your question. I usually clean it thoroughly first then I fry up som sacrificial bacon over some high heat then wipe it clean.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Im not sure how i feel about sacrificial bacon. Seems blasphemous to me.

mortlock

I had the scrapple for brek today. Really good. I fried it up on the cast iron. Crisps up and moist on the inside. Had about a 3/8 inch slab with some eggs and homies. Hot sauce to round things off.

RAGER

Does that say use by Dec 19 '16. Should be real good by now.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Tit tight. A little scary, but, kudos to the adventure.

Lumpy

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on December 11, 2020, 03:17:11 PM
Does that say use by Dec 19 '16. Should be real good by now.
internet pic. I threw my package away before i thought to take a pic. It was in the garbage can and i didnt feel like digging it out.

Lumpy.. it smell really good after it was cook up.