The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on March 16, 2021, 12:53:01 PM
This is the first ive ever seen it. Is it like really thick spaghetti?

Kinda like thick spaghetti but it's hit a hole through the center. It's the best.

Dude!  That bread was a peasant levain. You'd like it. Just a touch of whole rye, natural yeast with a tangy note. Slathered in butter and roasted garlic. It takes us a while to go through a loaf of bread but that shits already gone.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I cant do rye with tomato sauce. Italian bread or french bread are my only options.

RAGER

Time to do a batch of toasted sticky rice powder. Khao khua.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

We had lunch on the patio of a place yesterday for the first time in Portland in over a year. It was an awkward experience only because we wanted to check out the patio prior to ordering. If there were a bunch of people we would have just got to go. The owners seemed offended by this and it just got more awkward. Husband wife team. I've know the guy for some years. She was really passive aggressive. Fukn weird.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Im i the only one who gets super annoyed when im trying to prepare and cook and someone else insists on being in the kitchen doing stuff. Constantly in the way, throwing my timing off. When i say something i get the usual 'im just trying to help'. To which i always respond 'youre not helping, youre just in the way'.
Ive had to resort to throwing a mini tantrum and throwing everthing down mid cook and tell her to take over, im going in the other room. Its the only way to get her out.

Pissy

I can't stand cooking together.  My wife was a chef for about 15 years and is completely comfortable cooking with people in the way. I never worked in food service and it annoys me. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Kitchen jargon is lost on my wife at home.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I've been trying to source this herb for the past year. It grows in Thailand. And I think it only grows and or is only used in Northern Thailand. It's called malaep.  At least that's the transliteration. Haven't had any luck. A company I get kampot peppercorn from is expanding their herb line so I contacted him. I gave him all the info I had including a couple different spellings in Thai. He actually had somebody in Phuket check the markets and ask around. Kinda cool that somebody was looking for something for me in a Phuket market. Not heard back yet.
No Focus Pocus

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

mortlock

If your connection doesnt pan out, phuk it.

Pissy

Is it a leaf or a berry like peppercorns are?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Oddly it looks almost identical to dill seed. I asked Andy Ricker about that and he said not even close. Bullshit look at the two side by side.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

I can't cook with others, I backseat drive everybody. Maybe if you just put the burner on the correct temperature, or chopped the veggies properly, I wouldn't have to.

mortlock

Last night i was getting ready to cook, i ran upstairs to use the bathroom and wash up. By the time i got back she had already started the process in the wrong order. So i let it go and watched her freak out when the steaks were done but the potatoes were not even close.

RAGER

My wife does the same thing sometimes and totally dismissed my advice. Ya ever wonder how everything comes out the same time correctly in a restaurant?  It's because of all the things done beforehand to ensure that. But hey what do I know? 
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Just finished off eating the fried chicken I'd made. The recipe replaced the breading with crushed up pork rinds after being slathered in mayonnaise. It was ridiculously good. Definitely doing that again. Sorry no pictures, it was gone too fast.

RAGER

I've never done that. Had to look it up. Keto thing?
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Yes, but found the recipe looking for gluten-free.
https://ketogasm.com/keto-fried-chicken-recipe-baked-oven/
I used all thighs and dredged the pieces in King Arthur flour w/ cayenne powder.

mortlock

Food Tour Summer 2021 is on!!!!
Since tours and road trips for my band are not an option right now, me and ms. lock are going to go on road trips/food tours this summer. I will be shooting special daves cookin show episodes. Probably wont be traveling more than 3 hours one way for anything but that gives me tons of options. So far on the list is
- primanti bros in erie pa.
- orbakers near sodus ny
- im going to look for some cool places farther east maybe like oswego.
- clarence/buffalo area
- got to find stuff to the south.
- cant go north. Im land locked because of lake ontario.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

RAGER

I thought that said Lake Oswego which is by me and why would you go there?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Oswego NY. Big college town. Im guessing i can get some good pizza or some other killer college grub there. Back in my college days, i loved partying at SUNY Oswego. My gf at the time was in a sorority and there were some animal house style parties there. It was the 80s. Good times. I havent been back there in a really long time. I should hit my old college town of morrisville ny. Probably could find something good there too. There used to be back then. Theres more to morrisville than milwaukees best and weed.

Lumpy

Quote from: mortlock on April 02, 2021, 09:19:52 AM
Food Tour Summer 2021 is on!!!!

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

What about going to all the Sonics in NY and comparing them?

I think I actually did go to Sonic once, in Las Vegas. They had like 80 beverage options, and I got a gigantic Lime Rickey. I didn't eat anything, just a drink.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Thua thawt.  My favorite kap klaem.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus