The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I found some hopefully honest Phrae style Laap seasoning. I bought about a pound. It contains malaep which has eluded me in my search for it. Not sure when it will get here.

https://handhammeredwoks.co.uk/products/phrae-laap-spice-1-2-kilo
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on March 06, 2021, 09:42:31 AM
Got my pantry order from importfood.com

I'll def be making some of that jasmine rice today or tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with I.F. Was going to get the satay grill since I grill small portions, but they reccomended Tao, so I'll get that now unless you recommend otherwise, RAGER. I see your order here so I'll be looking to add some of it to my cart. He said the peppers are really good right now.

RAGER

Yeah. Go dude. I bought both grills but I really use the tao the most. I might buy two more cuz I might be doing a thing.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Would love to hear about it!

No doubt you've seen this. I just came across it - might be a thing someday if I could move some chicken. Always admired the one place I got my chicken back in the day with beans and rice and tortilla, green sauce. Anywho:

RAGER

I actually have a clay pot that size. Maybe bigger. And it's empty. Not sure about the glaze though. And I'm not sure I need to cook that much chicken.

Might be doing a Thai Pop up. We talked about it over a year ago. My idea is to fund it and turn over all proceeds to AAPI
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER, Import food haul and the Tao grill arrived. Didn't quite know when to stop ( ::) lol)  but I can use all of it one way or the other. oops, those are pickled green peppers, and little plastic tubs are Chili Paste Red Eye and Chili Paste Smoked Fish.

cwdc2901   Tao Charcoal Burner, Made in Thailand   1
cpmp4720   Thai Crushed Chili, Thai Tae, Mae Pranom, 4.7 oz   1
cpmp4723   Sugar Free Thai Chilli Paste, Mae Pranom, 4 oz   1
cppk0803   Ground Chili with Fried Garlic, Cock brand, 8 oz jar   1
small plastic tubs:
cpmp2202   Chili Paste Smoked Fish (Pla Yang), Mae Pranom, 3.17 oz   1
cpmp2203   Chili Paste Red Eye (Ta Dang), Mae Pranom, 3.17 oz   1
cppm1401   Yellow Curry Paste, Mae Pranom, 14 oz   1
cppt0301   Namprik Narog, Pantainorasingh brand, 4.73 oz jar   1
cpmp4721   Thai Crushed Chili, Shrimp Flavor, Mae Pranom, 4.7 oz   1
samp0905   Gold Label Sweet Chilli Sauce, Mae Pranom brand, 9 oz bottle   1
sama3001   Oyster sauce, Maekrua brand, 11.8 oz bottle   1
sayw2302   Soy sauce, thin (light), Healthy Boy, 10 oz   1
sakh2103   Yellow bean sauce, 12 oz bottle   1
sayw24062   Mushroom vegetarian sauce, Healthy Boy, 12 oz   1
sagm0705   Golden Mountain Sauce, 6.7 oz   1
sati3002   Thai white vinegar, 33 oz bottle   1
sakh2001   Black rice vinegar, Koon Chun, 16.9 oz bottle   1
sahb0601   Sesame oil, Kadoya Japan, 5.5 oz bottle   1
rtab1002   Satay Sauce, Ayam brand, Hot, 10 oz can   1
sads1601   Tamarind concentrate, 16 oz jar   1
cpnr0855   Pho, Vietnamese Beef Flavor Paste, 8 oz   1
cpnr0709   Spicy beef paste, 8 oz   1
sadf1221   Thai Green Chilli Sauce, Dragonfly, 12 oz   1
spmp6001   Thai Bird Chilli Powder, 2.1 oz, Mae Pranom   1
sphb2001   White pepper powder (Prik Thai), 20 gm Classic Can   1
spga0402   Thai Galangal Powder, 1.4 oz jar   1
spco0508   Thai fried red onion, 8 oz jar   1
fpkl1201   Fresh kaffir lime leaves, standard pack, via 2 Day Shipping   1
sphb1071   Coriander seed powder, 3.5 oz   1
spsp0801   Szechuan Peppercorn, 4 oz   1
pkco1603   Thai red chile, pickled, 16 oz jar   1
pkco1604   Thai green chile, pickled, 16 oz jar   1
nrga5005   Thai Jasmine Rice, 5 lb Royal Umbrella / 2020 crop   1
spga1301   Preserved Cabbage, 11 oz jar   1
cmad8501   6 boxes (small) 8.5 oz Aroy-D All Natural Coconut Milk   1

RAGER

Holy smokes what a haul!  I can attest for several of those things and many I cannot.  I don't really buy prepared sauces much. That white pepper is good. The golden mountain sauce is similar to Maggi seasoning. Use it like soy sauce kinda. Never used galangal powder. Just fresh or frozen. Naam phrik narog should be pretty hot. You'll love the makrut lime leaves. The rice is killer. Are you good at cooking rice without a rice cooker?

Ask me anything. There's a place for many of those ingredients in specific dishes. Congrats.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Thank you, chef! I'll come up with some questions. How do the rice? the only pan I have with lid is the Emeril All Clad 10" 3qt. (forgot that it was all-clad, it is built well). I'm stoked about all those sauces. What do I do with the lime leaves?

renfield

Speaking of rice, it's not the RAGER method but Maangchi does something interesting. She starts the rice lidded, lets it boil over, and then turns the heat down. I tried it a couple times but so far I haven't gotten as good of results this way.

Muffin Man

I should try that.

The local eggs cook up different than store bought so a little bit of a omelet accident. But I sautéed mushrooms in Thai white pepper and vinegar (no wine on hand), and garden garlic chives - mmm good. Thai green sauce on there - different stuff, good to have. Local creamed honey.

Just wanted to say I used some of the Thai pantry goods and it was tasty.

Muffin Man

Dusted my avocado sandwich with galangal powder. Gave a light citrusy woody ginger note, I think. Looking up galangal I found an idea at link for lime leaves so I'll be stocking up on shrooms for coconut mushroom soup.

https://www.spicesinc.com/p-1579-galangal-root-powder.aspx

RAGER

I'll have to look up the green sauce you're talking about. I think it's probably naam phrik noom which is green chilis, fish sauce, lime juice , garlic, and palm sugar. Sometimes cilantro root. Should be spicy, sour, sweet. In that order. In a jar it's probably real citrusy from an additive. I would add a bit of palm sugar syrup or sugar.

All those sauces or dips are exactly that. You take a bite of your protein and dip or a bite of rice and dip. Always rice. Always.

The pastes are for cooking. I add whatever paste to just a little coconut oil and cook slightly then add your protein. Coconut next if your doing that or your stock. Then add some lime leaves and let stew until done to your liking.

That pan should work for rice. There's a lot of methods. Pick one that works or if you don't like trial and error buy a rice cooker. They're cheap. I rinse the rice well and then use less water than recommended. Bring to boil cover and simmer about 18 min. The 30 sec or so I crank the heat HIGH to dry the bottom. Then remove from heat let sit covered 10-15 min while I get other stuff ready. Make jok or khao tom the next morning for breakfast.

No red curry paste? Harumph!

I bought that brand and a few others of black vinegar trying to find my favorite that somehow disappeared from shelves. Meh. I found a suitable replacement called Zhenjiang vinegar. I think it's the same as Chinkiang which I can't find locally. But try this with the stuff you got. Look up smashed cukes. Smash em and pour over a mixture of black vinegar, soy sauce and some crushed chili oil.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

My grill shit the couch. New already ordered.

Had to use the satay grill.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I can see that coming. Why it crack? Wrong.

I got the Kingsford briquettes 2-pack. Just need a wire rack or two

ah, satay. glad I didnlt get that. and thanks

RAGER

My fault. Left outside got wet froze cracked.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

i've been cooking a lot to stave off the urge to get too drunk (seems contradictory i know)

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on May 19, 2021, 11:20:03 AM
I'll have to look up the green sauce you're talking about. I think it's probably naam phrik noom which is green chilis, fish sauce, lime juice , garlic, and palm sugar. Sometimes cilantro root. Should be spicy, sour, sweet. In that order. In a jar it's probably real citrusy from an additive. I would add a bit of palm sugar syrup or sugar.

All those sauces or dips are exactly that. You take a bite of your protein and dip or a bite of rice and dip. Always rice. Always.

The pastes are for cooking. I add whatever paste to just a little coconut oil and cook slightly then add your protein. Coconut next if your doing that or your stock. Then add some lime leaves and let stew until done to your liking.

That pan should work for rice. There's a lot of methods. Pick one that works or if you don't like trial and error buy a rice cooker. They're cheap. I rinse the rice well and then use less water than recommended. Bring to boil cover and simmer about 18 min. The 30 sec or so I crank the heat HIGH to dry the bottom. Then remove from heat let sit covered 10-15 min while I get other stuff ready. Make jok or khao tom the next morning for breakfast.

No red curry paste? Harumph!

I bought that brand and a few others of black vinegar trying to find my favorite that somehow disappeared from shelves. Meh. I found a suitable replacement called Zhenjiang vinegar. I think it's the same as Chinkiang which I can't find locally. But try this with the stuff you got. Look up smashed cukes. Smash em and pour over a mixture of black vinegar, soy sauce and some crushed chili oil.

Thank you for all that! and I'll re-read. I missed the red curry saved for next time. The green sauce does hit spicy, sweet. lovely stuff. Tao grill is set up with Kingsford charcoal. doing chicken and Rochester Hots. Doing lime leaves in jasmine rice. 2 cups planning on 3.5 cups stock I guess. Marinated the chicken with yellow soybean sauce, mountain sauce, dry red flake shrimp flavor. That soybean sauce seems to be plenty salty. I was going to do soy sauce but experimenting and maybe finding something tasty. Skinless chicken though. Picked up a meat thermometer as well.

RAGER

Just got my replacement tao. Marinating some pork right now. Gonna do kind of a bastardized Thai/Viet bun cha' thing.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

You're going to make a buncha things?

Come for the stoner rock, leave because of the Dad jokes.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

chicken & rice. Tao grill skinless breast over jasmine rice w/lime leaves and garlic chives. A bit tangy but nice freshness. Rice at 18 minutes, 15 minutes rest. Worked! Suoer salty chicken due to over use of Thai seasoning - yellow soybean sauce, mountain sauce, red flakes with shrimp favor. Rooster never hurts, so a bead of that. Thai red flakes (Thai bird chili powder) and mountain sauce on the rice topping.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on May 23, 2021, 08:37:19 PM
You're going to make a buncha things?

Come for the stoner rock, leave because of the Dad jokes.

I did make a buncha things. Delicious and fairly light. So many textures.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Fresh batch of red curry paste done.

No Focus Pocus