The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Had a sudden hankering for lasagna.

Made some hot Italian sausage and let that sit while I made a red sauce separately then browned off the sausage, some ground beef and mushrooms combined into the red sauce for another 2 hours.

Lasagna

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

id love to try this out.. if anyone can hook it up.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i had gator once in a Cajon place in az. i really couldnt tell what it was like because it was covered in this sweet sticky raspberry sauce. 

Pissy

It's white meat.  I'm guessing you can guess what it tastes like. 
Vinyls.   deal.

renfield

nam prik pao reup. tried to do it authentic this time

renfield

Forgot to burp the kimchi. Also got about a half centimeter of yellow/brown turning stuff at the top of the jar, which I scooped out and threw away but I'm wondering if I need to throw the whole thing out :(

Muffin Man

renfield

Quote from: mortlock on April 21, 2022, 09:20:50 PM
ill pass.

that doesn't look appetizing to you? it's practically an album cover

Pissy

Making jerky today.  And slim jim type snack stix.  Marinating the jerky now, got the meat cubed up for the snack stix. Gitta go coach a kids soccer game, then back at it. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That kimchi looks fine. The fact that it is still active speaks for itself.

Pissy, you got a busy day with all that and Chicago pizza too.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Soccer game was good.  We lost 3-2, but it was still a good game. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

:o that snausage looks like a garden hose

RAGER

Reminds me. Cynthia Plaster Caster died.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Those look like they have a good snap.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Sorta.   They are tightly packed, which helps.  It all came in a kit so I didn't choose the casing size.  But i wish it was about 25% smaller.  More slim jim like.  These are hot dog sized.

But they taste really good.  Probably gonna be my go to grab for taking the edge off.

I figure those two batches have about a $6000 street value. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Nice.

I have some tomahawks my boss sent me for 20yr anniversary with the company
I think I smoke them up to temp, soak them in clarified butter, the char them on the grill.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

1 year fermented garlic, 366 days all-in. I tasted it at 1 month - mild, then 6 month's - still mild. Now 1 year still mild* (*subject to revisiting) with quite a delicious boquet emanating from the bowl wafting through the room. Slightly unique smell but "umani"? in the air.

The transluscent appearance of the cloves was there at 1 month, a little deeper now and darker. The nectar looks like grapefruit juice with no appearance of any scum or clumping in the liquid. Not sure if it's actually "fermented" but it sat in a dark cool closet in the fermenting crock with lid seal checked occaisionally. It was just whole peeled organic store bought garlic and salted water in the crock. I've some frozen from earlier of this batch to kinda compare against. 

I know from earlier the netcar is amazing..just a glorious tonic to sip - hope it doesn't peel paint now! Oh snap, I just sipped the nectar (after sipping coffee while typing) and its distinctly sweet. 6 month's ago it was slightly tangy but not sweet. My guess is that a little'll go a long way. Double checked, it's distictly sweet on the tongue at the moment.

I'll run out of nectar far too soon so another batch planned. I have no idea what I'm doing with the cloves other than bottling them up and of course slicing and dicing. I wonder if I can make a paste. Oh, and garlic butter for sure on in everything.

RAGER

Right on! 

I need to ferment some in honey.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on April 29, 2022, 05:49:24 PM
Right on! 

I need to ferment some in honey.

Never heard of it. Twist my arm.. I added a few slices of lemon since it was sitting there, de-seeded. Thought about adding heat but held-off. Local raw honey.

I wrapped the jar to shake it without it leaking but thought, hey leave the wrap on and see if it balloons up!

When I took the lid off the garlic bowl man I got a whiff- phew! Transfering the garlic introduced oxygen, I guess maybe that opened it up. Nectar is sweet.

The Mala is still out of Sichuan jars, which made me feel not bad because I totally forgot about those on my order arriving next week. Got the Caiziyou! etc...

hmm, add clove and/or Sichuan peppercorn? Next batch I suppose.